Whole Leaf Tobacco

Dr.Pierce's Grow log 2019

Dr.Pierce

Well, It's that time again to germinate the seeds I've collected over the winter. A special thanks to the members that helped with that.On the roster for this year are the following:
Samsun Maden
Prilep P66- 97
Bursa
Yellow twist Bud
Frog Eye Orinoco
Semois (var. Martin)
Katsuri

Attachments

Dr.Pierce

Well, It's that time again to germinate the seeds I've collected over the winter. A special thanks to the members that helped with that.On the roster for this year are the following:
Samsun Maden
Prilep P66- 97
Bursa
Yellow twist Bud
Frog Eye Orinoco
Semois (var. Martin)
Katsuri
Tiny green sprouts for all the varieties. Not much to photograph, though.

I used the wet paper towel method. Then I used tweezers to place 2-5 geminatined seeds in each cell of Black Gold Seedling Mix. I'm excited about the potential of each of the varieties.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
"One for the cutworm- one from the crow- one for the blackbird and one to grow."
It's always wise to raise extra seedlings of each variety. Back in the day, tobacco farmers often planned for 50% replacement of failed transplants. For years, I've started more or less 25% extra per variety (rounded to the next 4-cell pack). On rare occasions, 25% was not enough.

Bob

Dr.Pierce

Due to the cool temps here, I decided to use an indoor HPS lighting setup instead of florescent 4 footers in the barn. 430 watts HPS. With the added benefit of a smoother transition to sunlight due to the higher lumens. So far, so good. The sprouts count is around 130 sprouts.

Attachments

Dr.Pierce

I went to the nursery and brought home steer manure and gypsum for my hard clay garden soil. I also bought two bags of Foxfarm potting soil to transplant into. The idea is to set them into the ground around the second week of May.
Im planning on roto tilling in the next two weeks.
Today is transplant day. Since I've got my seedling under HPS lights- I need to transition them gently into full sunshine.

Attachments

Dr.Pierce

The transition from artificial to sunlight is almost complete. I'm a bit apprehensive because I very nearly messed my crop up last year going straight from four foot florescents to sun and fried a whole lot of perfectly innocent seedlings.
I the potting soil that I am using and the seedlings seem to like is a brand called "Salamander" On sale for $7 for 1.5 cu. ft. It contains less perlite than the Black Gold starter mix. I repotted them from their cells into 4 inch square pots.
Also I am being better about tagging each pot, Last year, there was a bit of a mix up between all the Cuban varieties I was growing. The big thing now is: I have to roto till the garden plot. I was going to rent one but the nieghbor offered to loan me his and now he seems to have forgotten to retrieve it from his farm. Not big hurry because the seedlings now have a lot of leg room.

Attachments