Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Drinkthekoolaid's Grow log 2018/1019

Status
Not open for further replies.

drinkthekoolaid

I totally jumped the gun and started...
Please feel free to criticize and correct me its how I learn. Once the seedlings are in good shape I plan to move the plugs to dirt pots. I'm still reading and debating on the soil mixure. I know well drained and pH of around 6. I will try to hold as long as I can growing indoors but if room becomes an issue I can heat the green house but Im cheap. 70 days from now would push out to Feb 20th. Wishfull thinking is I could harvest the stalk, let them grow out again then finish out doors.

Source: sustainableseedco.com
Jumpstart germination station
Floating hydro plugs
Ranco ETC-111000 controller
Used oil radiator
Lights 6+2 T5's

Started seeds - Dec 5th
Temp 74-77F

grow2.jpg
Row 1(bottom) Connecticut board leaf - 10 plugs
Row 2 Havana 608 - 9 plugs
Row 3 Cuban Criollo 98 - 9 plugs
Row 4 (top) Florida Sumatra - 7 plugs

grow1.jpg20181211_160250.jpg

ChinaVoodoo

Great setup and technique, but you're starting too early. In about two months you're going to have to move them to 1 gallon pots which will take up about 50 square feet. A month after that, unless you move them to 2.5 gallon or 5 gallon buckets (which will take up 100 square feet), and invest in some serious metal halide or led lights, they are going to be root bound and start to flower.

ChinaVoodoo

Wait

You have a greenhouse? How big is it? Could you keep them in there?

My experience with plants in small pots is that if there is still lots of nutrients, they will grow, but not as big. 2.5 gallons is about minimum. They usually flower early for me but don't necessarily ripen (turn yellow) until the same time as the ones in the ground. I don't know how you would speed that up.

Starting seedlings in March in Colorado would be the right thing to do though because they will wind up getting the best sunlight and soil temperatures during the prime growing stage of their lives during the mid to late summer.

It's not just about what's possible, it's also about what's ideal.

drinkthekoolaid

You have a greenhouse? How big is it? Could you keep them in there?

8x12' ish so I would still have to still cut back. Only issue is I will have to heat it which is possible.

Question, can I still flower the root bound ones for seed collection, do you see any issues?

Levi Gross

You are off to a good start. However, it’s a bit early for us northerners. I would take the time to learn what your little seedlings like and how they are handling the starting mix etc. Familiarize yourself with the plants and their growing habits, see what adjustments and improvements you can make for the plants and yourself. If you do everything right you could have an really early crop, and in early March start another batch of seedlings up for another grow. However you decide to do things just take notes and start reading though other members previous grow logs for ideas and information.

drinkthekoolaid

[QUOTE="Levi Gross, post: 154970, member: If you do everything right you could have an really early crop, and in early March start another batch of seedlings up for another grow. [/QUOTE]

Levi, thank you for your time and sound advice. I will take these little guys for a spin. If luck is with me I hope to get some seeds out of them. Then I'll start the real show in March as recommended.

Charly

Welcome and good luck.
As said, it's easier to grow outside at the right time of the year (mother nature does a lot of good things for us when we listen to her).

But your results might be interesting nonetheless.

Status
Not open for further replies.