Whole Leaf Tobacco

Easy way to prep Pa. Binder....

GreenDragon

Using a fine-mist spray bottle, mist each binder leaf with a few spritzes of non-chlorinated water. Then toss them into a large plastic bag. Allow them to relax overnight.

Bob
This is the best way to prepare PA leaf. They tend to have large side veins that take a while to properly hydrate. I was prepping some last night as a matter of fact. I like to cut off about 2" from the base of the stem (the petiole), mist them down pretty good, then store them in a 2 gallon ziploc overnight to hydrate.

I've seen video's of cigar factories hydrating their leaf for rolling by waving them in a stream of steam. I've taken advantage of this a few times when I've run out in the middle of a rolling session by taking some dry leaves and misting them down well, wrapping them in plastic wrap, and microwaving them in 15 second intervals until soft; usually takes less than a minute. This generates steam that softens them up pretty quick. It does, however, make them smell like weird tea.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member

GreenDragon

Yep, not ideal, but works in a pinch. The magnetron tends to set up a standing wave in the microwave, as seen on that first plate. Better MW ovens have a rotating deflector device to try to spread the microwaves out more, but it can only do so much. I always offset my food, never centered on the rotating plate to try to mitigate this.