Whole Leaf Tobacco

Ecuador Maduro vs San Andres

Jtravis

Does anyone mind giving their preference between Ec. Maduro and San Andres for wrappers?

I know the San Andres isn’t technically a maduro, but I’d like to try something of the like on some Nicaraguan blends.
I’ve used a couple pounds of the Ec. maduro, but just curious about anyone’s opinion on the San Andres.

If I could purchase both right now I certainly would.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
San Andres was never said to be fire-cured. The growers just heat the barns a bit with a small fire, to prevent mold in the humid environment. But they don't (didn't?) use a flue to vent the smoke. I have read conflicting reports from brand marketeers, so I can't really clarify that. The same is true of Brazil Mata Fina leaf (Bahia variety). With modernization, I suspect that production of both of these is in transition. But the truly distinctive taste of Te Amo cigars (and Matacan) came from the light fire-curing.

Bob

EDIT: I should add that @Tutu visited the production sites in Mexico a few years ago, and reported the use of small, open fires in the curing barns.

PressuredLeaf

I haven't used WLT MSA, but I do have some from another vendor (WLT was out of stock at the time). The leaf I have is very thick and has distinct smell. Its a strongly flavored tobacco that goes very well with the WLT Nic filler leaves. Also despite being thick, it burns very very well. Apparently the high K+ in the mexican volcanic soils helps produce a very combustible leaf.

I would say if you like like the ecuador maduro and the WLT Nic fillers, you will appreciate the MSA as a binder or wrapper.

Jtravis

I haven't used WLT MSA, but I do have some from another vendor (WLT was out of stock at the time). The leaf I have is very thick and has distinct smell. Its a strongly flavored tobacco that goes very well with the WLT Nic filler leaves. Also despite being thick, it burns very very well. Apparently the high K+ in the mexican volcanic soils helps produce a very combustible leaf.

I would say if you like like the ecuador maduro and the WLT Nic fillers, you will appreciate the MSA as a binder or wrapper.
That’s interesting. I would expect it to at least be a bit of a challenge to burn, but good to know. Thanks for the info

willgodwin

San Andres was never said to be fire-cured. The growers just heat the barns a bit with a small fire, to prevent mold in the humid environment. But they don't (didn't?) use a flue to vent the smoke. I have read conflicting reports from brand marketeers, so I can't really clarify that. The same is true of Brazil Mata Fina leaf (Bahia variety). With modernization, I suspect that production of both of these is in transition. But the truly distinctive taste of Te Amo cigars (and Matacan) came from the light fire-curing.

Bob

EDIT: I should add that @Tutu visited the production sites in Mexico a few years ago, and reported the use of small, open fires in the curing barns.
Very interesting!

ChinaVoodoo

Do you like using it?
Yes! But full disclosure, even long before I discovered WLT, I was into Mexican cigars.

This is one personal blend that I've made quite firm as a Casa Turrent(esque) blend.
1.5 Dominican ligero, 3 Piloto seco, 1 Peru seco as double binder, and San Andres as the wrapper,

Jtravis

I've really enjoyed using San Andres wrapper, not very wide, but my batch was very long and had some nice stretch without being compromised. (my friends love it even more, one just begs me for MSA puros and he's the biggest cigar snob I know!)
Sounds like you’re doing something right!

Jtravis

Yes! But full disclosure, even long before I discovered WLT, I was into Mexican cigars.

This is one personal blend that I've made quite firm as a Casa Turrent(esque) blend.
1.5 Dominican ligero, 3 Piloto seco, 1 Peru seco as double binder, and San Andres as the wrapper,
I’ll have to give that a try. Thanks!