Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

English in a cob

Ginsinjones

When searching other pipe forums on the web I have come across many people saying English and balkan blends are not as good when smoked through a cob.
I havnt found much difference between cob and briar.
I only own a half dozen briar, and don't smoke them often. Most of my puffing is through some well used cobs and some MM hardwood pipes.
Just curious as to all your guys' opinion on this.
Cheers
Jeff

Ginsinjones

Oh I do
Everything goes through my cobs and tastes great. Just wondering if anyone has found what other people are saying that cobs mute the flavors of balkan and english blends...
I did notice a lot of uptight people on those forums. I know if any of the old pipers that taught me about pipes read some of the comments they would laugh them off the stage haha

Ruffseas

Oh I do
Everything goes through my cobs and tastes great. Just wondering if anyone has found what other people are saying that cobs mute the flavors of balkan and english blends...
I did notice a lot of uptight people on those forums. I know if any of the old pipers that taught me about pipes read some of the comments they would laugh them off the stage haha
Nope
Yep

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Having smoked a pipe since 1970, including both English blends (Balkan Sobranie White, the original John Cotton's #1&2 and most of the original Dunhill mixtures) as well as assorted expensive and cheap aromatic mixtures, I can say with certainty that the only major difference between cobs and briars (other than cost) is the bore of the smoke hole--being larger in cobs. The smoke hole bore influences how you can pack the pipe, in order to achieve the same resistance to draw through the burning tobacco.

If you're going to fork over hundreds of dollars for a pretty block of wood with two bored holes, it helps to envelope it in a mythology, especially if you have a sane spouse. I have 15 briars, and several of other woods (apple, ash, cherry). I have well over a dozen assorted cobs--some home-made, as well as a wonderful corn stalk pipe. I use them all. I mostly smoke home-blended English and Balkan blends. [I also have a bunch of Meerschaums, which "smoke" well, though traditional bits for them are uncomfortable.]

SUMMARY: I'll agree with @GreenDragon's assessment of the mythologizers as being "full of poo."

Bob

Alpine

I find there’s a difference between briars and cobs (other than price) : cobs give a drier, and somewhat cooler, smoke. Clan tobacco, for example, if smoked in a briar pipe closely resembles a ball of uranium, in a cob it’s still hot but smokable.
As a side note, I have 30 or so Savinelli pipes that are collecting dust, while my cobs get a (ir)regular rotation.

pier