Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Fastening down new heavy duty shredder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iowalez

Okay folks, I got my new heavy duty shredder today. I'm acquaint ing myself with it atop a tv tray in my office. The tray is about 3/4" thick pine. The only real table I can shred on is my antique walnut dining table in the kitchen. So the shredder has to be bolted or somehow fastened to a decent sized board of some kind, and be able to sit on the table, on top of padding, like a folded towel.

What have you guys done, who have this shredder, as far as attaching it to something so it doesn't move around in use? I can't have it sitting out all the time, it has to be portable because the table gets used a lot.

Thanks,
Lezlie

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Photos of mine.

Perhaps some clamps?

LeftyRighty

Founding Member
I use standard c-clamps on my shredder (but it's not the HD schredder). It is clamped at the edge of my kitchen oak table, with a small piece of 1/4-inch plywood over an old kitchen towel, between the shredder & table. Works great, but because it's at the tables edge, and I'm a bit sloppy with my shredding, I always end up some bits of shreds on the kitchen floor. Solved this by placing an old bath towel on the floor, after shredding, fold the towel and shake it out outside - easier than sweeping the floor (and tracking shreds around the house).

Iowalez

Here is a photo of the shredder. It stands on four small feet that have holes in them for screws or bolts. Don't think a C clamp is going to work in this case, not with these small feet and the wide rim on my antique walnut dining table. I sent photos to my son's dad in NorCal asking for help. He does carpentry, welding, and construction, so he might have some ideas.IMG_20201206_101826.jpg

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Here is a photo of the shredder. It stands on four small feet that have holes in them for screws or bolts. Don't think a C clamp is going to work in this case, not with these small feet and the wide rim on my antique walnut dining table. I sent photos to my son's dad in NorCal asking for help. He does carpentry, welding, and construction, so he might have some ideas.View attachment 34425
You could screw the feet onto a board, then clamp the board to the table. Make sure the screws don’t go through the board or they will scratch the table.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Obtain a 1" thick board with dimensions sufficient for stabilizing the shredder when being cranked. Mark out the 4 holes, using the shredder base as a template. Drill the center of each hole (a pilot hole) marked on the board completely through each with a small diameter bit. Use an inexpensive flat spade wood bit to counterbore the underside of each hole to ½" diameter, deeply enough to hide a 3/8" nut. Drill the center of each hole to fit a bolt (inserted from the top). The bolts should be shorter than the thickness of the board. Insert the bolts through the holes in the shredder base and the board, then put a washer and a nut on each bolt from the underside. A hex head bolt and nut would allow you to tighten them with a crescent wrench and a socket wrench.

Bob

Countersunk_and_counterbored_holes_cross-section.png
[Wikipedia]

Iowalez

Obtain a 1" thick board with dimensions sufficient for stabilizing the shredder when being cranked. Mark out the 4 holes, using the shredder base as a template. Drill the center of each hole (a pilot hole) marked on the board completely through each with a small diameter bit. Use an inexpensive flat spade wood bit to counterbore the underside of each hole to ½" diameter, deeply enough to hide a 3/8" nut. Drill the center of each hole to fit a bolt (inserted from the top). The bolts should be shorter than the thickness of the board. Insert the bolts through the holes in the shredder base and the board, then put a washer and a nut on each bolt from the underside. A hex head bolt and nut would allow you to tighten them with a crescent wrench and a socket wrench.

Bob

View attachment 34426
[Wikipedia]

Thank you, Bob. I could make the board out of a double thickness of plywood! I forgot I have a sheet of it. Just need the spade bit and bolts from the farm store. I'll check out what clamps they have that might fit on my table.

Iowalez

Come to think of it, I think my four big wood clamps might open wide enough to fit the wide, decorative table rim. Not sure if they'd work, but I could try them. The table isn't without a few minor blemishes but I don't want to cause more.

Iowalez

My son's dad is going to make the board and set it up pretty much like Bob suggested. He's a redneck hippie in a cabin in the redwoods who does carpentry, welding, and construction work, since 1969. He's got a workshop with all the tools, and lumber coming out his ears. He's going to include either deck screws or bolts with nuts. I traced the shredder base and marked the center of the holes on cereal box cardboard and am mailing the template today. Everything he makes is beautiful workmanship. In two weeks or so I'll have a great setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.