Whole Leaf Tobacco

Favorite WLT blends

PressuredLeaf

I thought it would be fun for users to share some of their favorite cigar blends made from WLT leaf. I know as a new cigar roller, I really appreciated all the information people shared in “pics of your sticks”. I think having a separate thread that is dedicated to good WLT blends could be fun.

I’ll go first:

One of my favorite blends so far has been the following:

1 wlt Nic ligero
1 wlt piloto viso
2 wlt corojo seco
Wlt Nic seco binder
Wlt corojo oscuro wrapper

I’ve only rolled it in robusto size, but I enjoy it every time. Medium bodied, buttery, and flavorful. I want to roll some more and try a different wrapper, maybe Ecuador maduro?

59A12EB7-0440-4FDA-8C27-AB5E86711F59.jpeg

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
Thanks for sharing your blends. I need a few new blends to add to the line-up. Send me your portions in ounces and I'll send you each a couple of your blends.

This offer is not open to everyone who concocts a blend now. I appreciate people who take the initiative to volunteer information, but that's not to say I won't extend the offer to someone who posts something interesting.

ArizonaDave

I thought it would be fun for users to share some of their favorite cigar blends made from WLT leaf. I know as a new cigar roller, I really appreciated all the information people shared in “pics of your sticks”. I think having a separate thread that is dedicated to good WLT blends could be fun.

I’ll go first:
I have a few to share:

Smoooooooth:
Corojo viso
Criollo seco
Ct. Shade (both wrap and bind)

Medium:
Criollo viso
Corojo viso
Criollo Liguero
Habano 2000 (both wrap and bind)

Bold
Nic. Viso
Criollo Viso
Criollo Liguero
Hab. 2000 binder, Equador Maduro Wrapper (Eq. Maduro can be used as wrap and bind)

tullius

La Flor Corojo

1 corojo seco
1 corojo viso
1 corojo ligero
nic habano seco as binder
corojo oscuro wrapper

Notes: excellent medium spicy floral cigar, this blend in corona gorda (46x5.6) is the most repeated request by guests. Looks great, not too strong, not too mild, very unique floral nose with some complexity that doesn't get in the way. Kind of like a single origin espresso with a touch of robusto. The credit for this blend goes to @waikikigun: I was rolling corojo filler and wrapper with another binders, and he suggested to try the nic habano seco. He was right, and I'm pretty sure he ran this blend way before I did.

La Crème de Moisson

1 rene seco
1 corojo viso
1 san vicente ligero
corojo oscuro wrapper as binder
ct shade 2006 wrapper

Notes: superlative mild/medium cigar. Have repeatedly rolled ten packs of these in 36 and 46rg and they've been consistently great. Reminds me of the great long gone Zino Davidoff Mouton Cadets. You can smoke them in a day or two, but they improve with age. I use the inner trim scrap off corojo wrapper to bind. This is an original blend, my hand wasn't tipped by anything other than fooling around with cigar tobacco I had. If you're looking for a great morning or gentle afternoon cigar blend, this is it.

(All tobaccos from WLT)

ArizonaDave

La Crème de Moisson

1 rene seco
1 corojo viso
1 san vicente ligero
ct shade 2006 wrapper

(All tobaccos from WLT)
I have a similar blend with Piloto Cubano Seco, with the San Vicente Liguero, but with Crtiollo viso, but the binder and wrapper are different. I might try yours, or close to it, as I can't get WLT in AZ anymore. Luckily I squirled away pounds of WLT's, as I was also growing my own.

Costard

Appreciate all of the recipes in this great thread.

La Flor Corojo

1 corojo seco
1 corojo viso
1 corojo ligero
nic habano seco as binder
corojo oscuro wrapper

Notes: excellent medium spicy floral cigar, this blend in corona gorda (46x5.6) is the most repeated request by guests. Looks great, not too strong, not too mild, very unique floral nose with some complexity that doesn't get in the way. Kind of like a single origin espresso with a touch of robusto. The credit for this blend goes to @waikikigun: I was rolling corojo filler and wrapper with another binders, and he suggested to try the nic habano seco. He was right, and I'm pretty sure he ran this blend way before I did.

La Crème de Moisson

1 rene seco
1 corojo viso
1 san vicente ligero
ct shade 2006 wrapper

Notes: superlative mild/medium cigar. Have repeatedly rolled ten packs of these in 36 and 46rg and they've been consistently great. Reminds me of the great long gone Zino Davidoff Mouton Cadets. You can smoke them in a day or two, but they improve with age. I use the inner trim scrap off corojo wrapper to bind. This is an original blend, my hand wasn't tipped by anything other than fooling around with cigar tobacco I had. If you're looking for a great morning or gentle afternoon cigar blend, this is it.

(All tobaccos from WLT)
These two blends do sound excellent, especially La Crème de Moisson. Hoping WLT adds either one to the Blend Kit section.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
The Padron Clone

1 Nicaraguan filler seco
1.5 Nicaraguan viso
0.5 Nicaraguan ligero
Ecuador Maduro binder and wrapper

This delightful smoke pairs well with practically any pursuit, fine dining experience, or activity outside of jail time. Jail time can sour the otherwise wonderful experience of this treat of treats. The caviar that is Nicotiana. Don’t get caught and enjoy the bliss.

Last edited:

waikikigun

I see a problem here: most/all of these don't use any WLT "binder" product.

I pitched some killer blends to Don 5 years ago, but they used Nic Habano Seco for the binder, which has to be graded out (that leaf ran about 35% binder-possible), so they were a no-go. A fundamental aspect of WLT kits is that there's no grading of leaf: they just weigh by the oz and that's it.

And some blends are very binder sensitive: they fail without that specific binder, which is either a half leaf or a whole leaf, i.e. a large % of a blend.

PressuredLeaf

The Padron Clone

1 Nicaraguan filler seco
1.5 Nicaraguan viso
0.5 Nicaraguan ligero
Ecuador Maduro binder and wrapper

This delightful smoke pairs well with practically any pursuit, fine dining experience, or activity outside of jail time. Jail time can sour the otherwise wonderful experience of this treat of treats. The caviar that is Nicotiana. Don’t get caught and enjoy the bliss.
I haven’t tried these exact ratios, but I %100 agree the Nicaraguan tobacco from wlt with Ecuador maduro wrapper is very very reminiscent of some Padrons. Padrons are pretty much the only commercial cigar I enjoy regularly after starting to roll my own.

tullius

I see a problem here: most/all of these don't use any WLT "binder" product.

I pitched some killer blends to Don 5 years ago, but they used Nic Habano Seco for the binder, which has to be graded out (that leaf ran about 35% binder-possible), so they were a no-go. A fundamental aspect of WLT kits is that there's no grading of leaf: they just weigh by the oz and that's it.
Interesting point.

Went and pulled the current open pack of WLT Nic Habano Seco out of my humidor (0.81 lbs worth of tobacco, the empty bag with small detritus weighed an additional 0.08 lbs) and sorted every leaf. Of 104 leaves remaining in the pack, there were 98 leaves that would easily make double binder, and 6 that would not.

Very small sample size, and maybe this pack was from a great section of the bale/pallet/crate, but I checked the count twice to be sure. The 6 that didn't make binder grade (big holes in the lamina on both sides of the main vein) were filler grade and would have been used as such. Many leaves could have been used for wrapper if adequately hydrated, but did not keep a count of those.

Have a couple of blends noted as excellent in my log that use WLT explicitly named "binder" leaf, namely sumatra and dominican (olor), but I need to run/smoke more of those to confirm the blend.

PressuredLeaf

I’m a little confused on the discussion here. I took waikikigun’s statement about “grading” differently. I though he was saying that the blends we were discussing were NOT using WLT binders. Therefore, it would be difficult to make new kits with things like seco binders, since the filler seco is not graded to binder standards. To me that’s not a jab at quality, since I wouldn’t expect filler leaves to be binder quality. I thought it was more of pragmatic suggestion about designing new blends. Maybe I’m mistaken (I often am), but that’s how I read things.

tullius

@waikikigun I've never rolled with kits, so I can't confirm or deny with no experience there. I can say you have always been generous with your advice, knowledge and time to me and others in dm's, and it was seeing your cigars that got me into rolling cigars and buying cigar leaf from WLT in the first place.

Side note: after you pull 104 leaves out of the pack and separate and count them twice, they're suddenly very voluminous and really hard to get back in the original pack..

Can also say that I've bought many pounds of quality cigar and pipe and cigarette tobaccos from WLT, as well as several professional cigar molds and tools, and cases of cig tubes: and I have always found everything to be excellent, including WLT standing behind what they sell.

Once, I did have some qualms with a pack of tobacco. One lb. out of all those pounds. In hindsight, now having more knowledge and experience, I should've just kept and smoked it and enjoyed it. Don replaced it at no charge even though he didn't have to, and even though I'd opened it and used some.

That's my experience with WLT. I don't hesitate in recommending: have no reasons not to, and many to.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
@PressuredLeaf
He's saying he uses Seco leaves as binder leaves and we do not grade out binder leaves from the seco. Filler leaves are frogged, binder, and wrapper leaves have the full mid-rib. I can only imagine the guff I'd take if I ever suggested a filler leaf was a binder.

Last edited: