Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Fermenting in jars

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
50°C does not kill mold. It simply prevents vegetative growth. I set my kiln to run between 122°F and 128°F (50°C and 53.3°C), so that it avoids any mold growth. A 3 day average of °50C would mean that it is hovering in the range of vegetative mold growth half the time. What I'm saying is that it should be kept above 50°C.

I'm not a mycologist, and can't offer any greater detail about the issue. I suppose you could just sacrifice some leaf, and give it a try for a couple of months.

Bob

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
That method would work, maybe.

Problems:
  • At 50°C (122°F), the tobacco is right at the top of the temperature zone in which mold can grow—the tobacco might mold if the oven temp is off by a degree.
  • I ferment my tobacco for 2 months, and even then, some of it needs to age further for months.
  • The oven method monopolizes your oven for the duration.
  • You can only do tiny quantities at a time.
Bob

baccy

Thank you for responding. I have a second oven in the summer kitchen-bbq area I could use. And it's an old school oven made in late 80s, so it should endure working non stop for a week lol. I guess won't be an issue to set it a bit above than 50 C. I can't afford to build a good quality kiln now. I made a simple one last year, a small box from insulation fibran with a wire light bulb in it. It was maintaing 50 + degrees C but since there was no humidity source I was opening every few hours and spray the leafs. The result after one month was very unique smooth aroma and taste but the leafs became so curley that was impossible to flaten and shred. Also when I forgot sometimes to open and spray they got toasted so it was very light smoking despite the good taste. I will post a pictures of this box next days to see if it could be improved for cheap. Maybe I can place a crockpot in it.

Alpine

An old no longer working fridge or freezer can be converted in a useful kiln by simply adding a crockpot and a cheap temp controller. Ask your neighbors, probably someone will be very happy to get rid of an old fridge for free. A kiln doesn’t need to be complicated: if a container of some sort can maintain adequate temp and humidity, then you can use it and call it “a kiln”. Of course, the better the sealing and insulation, the less hassle for you to keep it working properly, and less energy to keep the temp consistent.

pier

pier

mgirotra

A quick Question here. If I am using a basic Styrofoam box with an incandescent bulb hooked up to a thermostat and am locking up slightly moist leaves in glass jars or sealed plastic bags, how often do i need to check for moisture levels in the jar/bag ?

mgirotra

So if it get this right, this would pretty much take away the need for any humidity control in the box, since the leaves are anyway enclosed in their personal plastic bags or jars where water vapors are trapped inside and temperature in the box is being controlled by the thermostat. So if i check them, say , once a week and air them, it should hold good ?

ChinaVoodoo

So if it get this right, this would pretty much take away the need for any humidity control in the box, since the leaves are anyway enclosed in their personal plastic bags or jars where water vapors are trapped inside and temperature in the box is being controlled by the thermostat. So if i check them, say , once a week and air them, it should hold good ?
Glass jars may end up with siezed lids due to rust, but the tobacco will stay in your desired moisture level. Tobacco in bags will eventually dry out unless they are in sealed vapor proof plastic or Mylar bags. I put bags in a sealed bucket.

mgirotra

Glass jars may end up with siezed lids due to rust, but the tobacco will stay in your desired moisture level. Tobacco in bags will eventually dry out unless they are in sealed vapor proof plastic or Mylar bags. I put bags in a sealed bucket.
would freezer grade ziplocs be able to hold in enough moisture that i can do with weekly inspection and misting ?

Knucklehead

Founding Member
would freezer grade ziplocs be able to hold in enough moisture that i can do with weekly inspection and misting ?
Another option is the vaccuum seal bags which are made of poly-nylon, a nonpermeable material. The bags of tobacco shipped to us by wholeleaftobacco.com are poly nylon bags and many of us reuse those for our home grown. The bags retain moisture very well. (as well as keep it out) I don't heat seal mine for reuse because the bag just gets shorter each time. Rather, I fold the top over two or three times and secure with wooden clothes pins.

HillDweller

Can you r
Another option is the vaccuum seal bags which are made of poly-nylon, a nonpermeable material. The bags of tobacco shipped to us by wholeleaftobacco.com are poly nylon bags and many of us reuse those for our home grown. The bags retain moisture very well. (as well as keep it out) I don't heat seal mine for reuse because the bag just gets shorter each time. Rather, I fold the top over two or three times and secure with wooden clothes pins.
Can you re-heat seal those WLT bags? Hadn't thought of trying that.

HillDweller

I haven't tried it because each time you cut the bag it gets shorter and can only be used a few times before it is shorter than the leaf. Don heat seals them so I'm assuming we can, too.
I'm thinking if you strip your leaves you could still get a decent amount in there a few times even with shorter bags. I would assume we get the same bags Don does.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I'm thinking if you strip your leaves you could still get a decent amount in there a few times even with shorter bags. I would assume we get the same bags Don does.
Uline.com sells poly nylon bags. Several years ago some of us went in together and did a group buy on different sizes of bags and split the bags and cost. I think my big ones are 24x36" and hold up to about ten lbs.

They also offer Foodsaver trademark brand bags.