Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

First Grow Single PABL

marshall9779

I take that back one lug leaf and one first priming that is about 20”. Furthers away from the base of the stem seems to cure well but the outside edge closest to the base dried green. Inner part of the leaf close to the stem hasn’t finished yet.
Here is the bud coming out.
DBE744E3-9883-41CE-A4C6-CFDC3C600FCF.jpegED29AA04-4FFF-4E92-8749-6CA38965DA58.jpeg

marshall9779

Well, I’ve realized that temp and humidity are more important for color curing than I realized. I think I’m going to go with a box curing method but might use a big plastic tote depending on how a trial run using this smaller one goes. I can crack the lid as needed to keep humidity from getting too high on new leaf and can set the lid on without latching to keep humidity up. Once the leaf starts drying out I will add moisture with either Boveda packs or a small dish of distilled water. For reference the leaf was not quite half yellow when I pulled it a day and a half ago. I put a heating pad under it in the lowest setting. Going to try fermenting using the same method once i get all my leaf color cured and just put the heating pad on the highest setting which gets to about 125F.
8BBB79E7-4E32-4F98-B3F8-CC4A39EDC2CB.jpeg

Oldfella

Well, I’ve realized that temp and humidity are more important for color curing than I realized. I think I’m going to go with a box curing method but might use a big plastic tote depending on how a trial run using this smaller one goes. I can crack the lid as needed to keep humidity from getting too high on new leaf and can set the lid on without latching to keep humidity up. Once the leaf starts drying out I will add moisture with either Boveda packs or a small dish of distilled water. For reference the leaf was not quite half yellow when I pulled it a day and a half ago. I put a heating pad under it in the lowest setting. Going to try fermenting using the same method once i get all my leaf color cured and just put the heating pad on the highest setting which gets to about 125F.
View attachment 39886
Are you really going to cure 1 leaf at a time, or am I missing something?
Oldfella

marshall9779

I maintained 75-80% humidity, 80F during the day using the heating pad underneath and 70F or so the rest of the time. After 6 days not much more change in the color other than the little bit that was still green toward the base of the stem. I guess it’s pretty much done other than the stem drying still or will in continue to get darker? I think my process is working but thought it would have cured darker. Probably shouldn’t expect much from a lug leaf anyway. If I maintain that range of humidity when I cure my ripe leaves should they cure darker?
A8B51472-90E5-4568-9C74-D07B80A1C4D9.jpeg

Alpine

Lower leaves usually have a lighter color compared to higher ones. During kilning, all leaves tend to darken a bit (this is valid for air cured leaves, not flue cured ones) but the difference in color between mud lugs and corona leaves will always be there. Relative humidity during the cure have an influence on color (higher humidity = darker). Your leaf has a nice golden brown, good job!

pier

marshall9779

Did a ferment test using a heating pad. Just cased real heavy but not quite enough as a couple dry spots stuck to the bag. It has an auto shut off so had to keep turning it back on. Need to buy one without the auto shut off. Did about 12 hrs on this and made a huge difference in color just on this lug. Can wait to see how the other leaves do one I get a new heating pad.
Before and after.
DE5DE5ED-379B-49C2-9CDF-5188044ECB25.jpeg
DD66B5B3-5109-43B5-B5B5-9D49A66AEFB4.jpeg

marshall9779

The bottom two Seco leaves from my last post ended up getting lost to rot and mold. Didn’t bring the humidity down fast enough. Got one more Seco and my Viso color curing and drying now. Started fermenting my Seco. Have the leaves sandwiched between two heating pads with some parchment paper on top and bottom and between the two layers with some press’nseal on top and bottom to keep moisture in. Here is a copmarison of before and after only four days of fermenting. Will try and do for two weeks. It is starting to get rid of the raisiny smell.
A453C34C-2FF2-4F58-9236-4A87912D0348.jpeg
F31484C5-36E5-4356-A9CB-62CEB2A194C6.jpeg

marshall9779

Haven’t posted in forever but wanted to close this one out. This was such a great learning process but don’t think I will grow again until I have more time on my hands. Got three little ones with the youngest just turning one yesterday. Only ended up with 6 useable leaves from this plant. Enough to roll two cigars. Luckily had two halves from two leaves that were good enough to use as wrapper.

Attachments

• A7D4CBF1-4334-4D4B-8CB8-AD591ECE6897.jpeg
    A7D4CBF1-4334-4D4B-8CB8-AD591ECE6897.jpeg
    176.8 KB · Views: 14

SlamFire

Haven’t posted in forever but wanted to close this one out. This was such a great learning process but don’t think I will grow again until I have more time on my hands. Got three little ones with the youngest just turning one yesterday. Only ended up with 6 useable leaves from this plant. Enough to roll two cigars. Luckily had two halves from two leaves that were good enough to use as wrapper.
How was the cigar?

marshall9779

Tried to smoke the one with the mottled wrapper. Would not burn at all unless I kept the torch to it and tasted pretty horrible. I wasn’t expecting it to taste that great but definitely wasn’t expecting it not to burn. Won’t touch the other for a very long time.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Tried to smoke the one with the mottled wrapper. Would not burn at all unless I kept the torch to it and tasted pretty horrible. I wasn’t expecting it to taste that great but definitely wasn’t expecting it not to burn. Won’t touch the other for a very long time.
Did you water the plant with chlorinated water?

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I did. Would that have caused both my issues?
Chlorine can make the leaf fire proof enough to be used as spacecraft shielding.
I used an inline RV filter with garden hose fittings to remove chlorine. I haven't smoked the leaf yet. My filters were similar to these.