Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Foolproof Kiln Controller

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
For wiring-challenged kiln builders

BNQ-T9.jpg
BNQ-T9

A number of folks have expressed concern about properly wiring a temp controller for their kiln. While a bit more expensive than a digital controller that you have to wire, this one is foolproof. For controlling a kiln heat source, such as a Crockpot, or even much higher wattage, this controller from BN-LINK requires setting only two values: the heat cutoff value (the set point, which for my kiln would be 128°F) and the "turn back on" value (heat differential, which for my kiln is a hysteresis of 5°F, turning the heat back on when the temp falls to 123°F). You would use just the upper outlet (heating), since the lower outlet is intended for regulating a cooling device.

So...set your max temp, then set how far below that the power should come back on. That's all there is to this.

This hefty, solid object is designed for greenhouse heating and cooling (15A/1875W), and plugs into a US standard grounded outlet. It has a built-in overload cutoff. The best feature, which they don't advertise, is that once you enter the settings you desire, the BNQ-T9 continues to remember them, even after the power is cut off (say during a winter storm). Once the power is restored, your settings are still there, and the controller resumes functioning.

$36 plus shipping.

I bought one of these to regulate the small heater within my well pump house, to prevent the pipes there from freezing. It dawned on me, with its simplicity, how attractive a solution that might be for builders of tobacco kilns. It is designed for indoor use, though the temp probe is waterproof. So it would be mounted outside the kiln, with the temp probe inside the kiln. The Crockpot cord can be passed through the kiln wall, and simply plugged directly into the upper outlet of the BNQ-T9.

Bob

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
My one suggestion is to stick on a permanent, easy to read label that marks the "heating" outlet. The two outlets are labeled with molded-in letters of the same color as the case itself. I had to illuminate it with a tangential flashlight to clearly read it. Since mine was going into an un-lit pump house, I added a bright white label with clear lettering.

Since its memory is non-volatile, I sat in a comfortable chair on my porch to set it, then unplugged it, and took it out to the pump house.

Bob

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
BNQ-T9 test of controlling my pump house temp:

Garden20211120_6122_BNQ-T9_TempControl_Pumphouse_500v.jpg

Bob

EDIT: Don't believe everything you see. It was a simple transposition on my part. The real outdoor temp dropped down to 16.3°F. Sadly, iacta alea est. Not worth re-editing my photo.

Last edited: