Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

For the Love of .... Cheese

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrs BeeKeeper

Is my title cheesy enough? I could sharpen it up! XD

Cheese has been on my list of "to-do-next" for a while now. I purchased my rennent and bacterial culture. Have been waiting on *someone* to make me a cheese press. But since he is genuinely busy doing so many things, I haven't nagged him. (On this subject anyway. LOL!)

I've watched a ton of videos and have read up on cheese making, both brick cheese and soft cheese, in the last 2 years. So I feel prepared to try.

I have some organic milk in my fridge that I need to use up. I'm going to make a soft cheese tonight. I'll come back with pics and a recipe when I'm done.

Wish me luck!

- Mrs B

johnlee1933

Founding Member
Is my title cheesy enough? I could sharpen it up! XD

Cheese has been on my list of "to-do-next" for a while now. I purchased my rennent and bacterial culture. Have been waiting on *someone* to make me a cheese press. But since he is genuinely busy doing so many things, I haven't nagged him. (On this subject anyway. LOL!)

I've watched a ton of videos and have read up on cheese making, both brick cheese and soft cheese, in the last 2 years. So I feel prepared to try.

I have some organic milk in my fridge that I need to use up. I'm going to make a soft cheese tonight. I'll come back with pics and a recipe when I'm done.

Wish me luck!

- Mrs B
DeluxeStogie of this forum is an experienced cheese maker.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome to FTT.

Yes, I confess to being a cheese maker. The easiest way to start is by making soft, spreadable cheeses. I order my supplies from www.cheesemaking.com. The cultures for Fromage Blanc and Ricki's Fromagina will allow a gallon of milk to set up over night. Then hang in butter muslin to drain for ~12 hours, add herbs, and refrigerate. No press required.

Even easier is to hang a quart of yogurt for 6-12 hours. Instant (almost) soft cheese.

Ricki's book is also the best beginner volume available.

Bob

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
I've been wanting to get started doing this, I've made soft cheeses, and ricotta, I'd love to make parmisian and some of the expensive stinky cheeses though.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
She also sells a separate recipe for making a 10 minute Mozzarella cheese. It is dam tasty- nice warm stringy moz. I'll dig up the recipe and post later tonight. A gallon of milk will yield about 12 oz of cheese and if you do not eat the entire thing on the spot there is something wrong with you!

johnlee1933

Founding Member
She also sells a separate recipe for making a 10 minute Mozzarella cheese. It is dam tasty- nice warm stringy moz. I'll dig up the recipe and post later tonight. A gallon of milk will yield about 12 oz of cheese and if you do not eat the entire thing on the spot there is something wrong with you!
Breaded fried Mozzarella. THERE's a real treat.

Mrs BeeKeeper

and if you do not eat the entire thing on the spot there is something wrong with you!
I watched a documentary on reversing diabetes when my very healthy and fit father was diagnosed a couple years ago. One thing in the doco was on cheese. How 100 years ago, on average, Americans ate about 8 lbs of cheese a year. Now we eat about 80 lbs of cheese a year. We are in fact addicted to cheese. The reason being, milk contains trace amounts of morphine!!! Now, I haven't done my own research on it, but he has his doctorate (doesn't always mean he's right), and it sounds compelling.
I still love cheese, and I love all things home-made, but I am trying to reduce my cheese intake.

webmost

I still love cheese, and I love all things home-made, but I am trying to reduce my cheese intake.
Promptly send all your unused cheese to ME!

Cheese must be the perfect food cause every kinda critter loves it. Dogs love it, mice love it, fish love it, horses love it, mold loves it, I love it, you love it... Cheese please!

workhorse_01

I'm in on that! Send me the extra, extra, sharp cheddar. I coulda been a packers fan.
Promptly send all your unused cheese to ME!

Cheese must be the perfect food cause every kinda critter loves it. Dogs love it, mice love it, fish love it, horses love it, mold loves it, I love it, you love it... Cheese please!

DonH

While milk does not actually contain morphine itself, milk protein has peptides that bind to opiate receptors and thus act like morphine (so does wheat). These peptides, especially if a person has leaky gut syndrome, can get into the bloodstream and cause auto-immune reactions that are the cause of a lot of chronic diseases.

I stopped eating dairy products (except butter now and then because it doesn't have much protein in it) and have felt much better. Stopped the wheat, too. In fact, for the last two years I quit all grains and upped my intake of saturated fat and I feel better than ever, lost 40 pounds, and get to eat all the bacon and meat I want. I don't miss any of that stuff either. Well, I do miss beer...

webmost

Anyone who would remove beer from his diet has a serious medical problem indeed. The hopeful news is that there is a cure. Vitamin B. Doesn't matter if you prefer vitamin B 6 pack or vitamin B 12-pack. I put a 30 pack of cure in my beer fridge in the garage last weekend. There's ten left now. Oops, wait a minute... nine. Prolly be down to half a dozen before you get here, so hurry on over for the cure.

Beer beer, the convivial brew
The more you drink the friendlier you

workhorse_01

Removing alcoholic beer from my diet was the cure twelve years or so ago. Boy have I felt much better since I switched to NA. No hangover in over twelve years.:cool:
Anyone who would remove beer from his diet has a serious medical problem indeed. The hopeful news is that there is a cure. Vitamin B. Doesn't matter if you prefer vitamin B 6 pack or vitamin B 12-pack. I put a 30 pack of cure in my beer fridge in the garage last weekend. There's ten left now. Oops, wait a minute... nine. Prolly be down to half a dozen before you get here, so hurry on over for the cure.

Beer beer, the convivial brew
The more you drink the friendlier you

webmost

Removing alcoholic beer from my diet was the cure twelve years or so ago. Boy have I felt much better since I switched to NA. No hangover in over twelve years.:cool:
Now, that's disappointing. And here I was just beginning to like you. Mmp.

Well, at least you smoke.

Status
Not open for further replies.