Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Frelono's 1st grow

Frelono

If the stems become elongated and leggy as though they are searching for light (it's a good sign they are) you will need to add supplemental lighting. Depending on the temps in your room, a propagation heat mat could also give them a boost by raising temp approximately 10F over ambient. My guess is that you should go ahead and look into lights. I don't use grow lights or bulbs but get by with 2' undercabinet fluorescent light fixtures that are prewired with an outlet plug. They were cheap when I bought them ten years ago, but I imagine all building materials have skyrocketed. If money is tight, you could watch for the plants to become leggy and then get lights or do something different.
The Gf had some 6500k lightbulbs for her plants. I put 3 of those over the tobacco.

Frelono

Can anyone of you tell me if the bigg plant is a burley or virginia? It was the smallest one I had last year, it's been chilling in the window all winter and started to grow this spring. It's either a ky17, golden virginia or a staghorn. But I just can teach myself to see the difference.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
It's in a corner on our porch. Made from a old bed and some boards we had laying around. I
Good floor, good drainage, good circulation from below, the posts and rails add added strength and I love reclaimed wood and I've even pulled and straightened old nails to reuse. Your plan was brilliant and well executed. (y) (y)

Frelono

Will the seedlings go in full ground when n the coming weeks?

pier
When they get a little bigger I am going to plant them in the ground. I have to go to work for 14 days now (I work on a boat, 14 days on 14 days off) I hope too get it done next 14 days on land. Got the potato, onion and carrots in the ground this land trip. So the tobacco is next in line.

Frelono

Good floor, good drainage, good circulation from below, the posts and rails add added strength and I love reclaimed wood and I've even pulled and straightened old nails to reuse. Your plan was brilliant and well executed. (y) (y)
Hehe thanks. It was only ment to be a quick and cheap greenhouse last year as we didn't have enough time or money for a better build. But it worked great and survived the winter storms without problem. The lady of the house have gotten herself a store-bought greenhouse for her plants this year so I have the whole thing for myself

Frelono

Northern Norway is a windy place, had strong winds and hard rain for many days now. It was rough on the tobacco. The ytb's response was to make lots of small new leaves wich is great but it's worse with the big gem and virginia gold wich lost lots of leaves and don't look to good. But the weather is what it is. I just hope some of them survive. One thing is sure, if any of the tobacco outside survives to maturity I got to take some seeds from them. Maybe in some years with taking seeds from the strongest I might get a plant that can survive the cold windy place I live.

The mystery tobacco from last year is gotten big, maybe getting close to harvesting?

And as always the poteto don't care about the weather. It grows the same every year. I have at least that under control.

Fredrik. 20220624_132931.jpg20220624_132859.jpg20220624_132838.jpg20220624_132821.jpg20220624_132759.jpg20220624_132622.jpg

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Northern Norway is a windy place, had strong winds and hard rain for many days now. It was rough on the tobacco. The ytb's response was to make lots of small new leaves wich is great but it's worse with the big gem and virginia gold wich lost lots of leaves and don't look to good. But the weather is what it is. I just hope some of them survive. One thing is sure, if any of the tobacco outside survives to maturity I got to take some seeds from them. Maybe in some years with taking seeds from the strongest I might get a plant that can survive the cold windy place I live.

The mystery tobacco from last year is gotten big, maybe getting close to harvesting?

And as always the poteto don't care about the weather. It grows the same every year. I have at least that under control.

Fredrik. View attachment 42412View attachment 42413View attachment 42414View attachment 42415View attachment 42416View attachment 42417
The scenery is gorgeous and the plants look good under those weather conditions. Nice job!

furryfreek

Northern Norway is a windy place, had strong winds and hard rain for many days now. It was rough on the tobacco. The ytb's response was to make lots of small new leaves wich is great but it's worse with the big gem and virginia gold wich lost lots of leaves and don't look to good.
Young plants can go on to produce plenty of usable leaf despite loosing some early on. So I wouldn't worry too much about the leaves you've lost so far; they'd just be mud lugs anyway. It could be worth setting up wind-breaks to prevent/reduce future damage, though. "Debris netting" (e.g. something like this) is probably the best thing to search for (most products advertised as windbreaks are more like privacy screens and/or are over-priced).

Those new leaves on your YTB sound like they could be suckers. I know how tempting it is to keep them when a plant has lost a lot of it's primary leaves, but they won't improve yield if allowed to grow out; they'll just complicate harvest, curing, and pest management.

Frelono

Young plants can go on to produce plenty of usable leaf despite loosing some early on. So I wouldn't worry too much about the leaves you've lost so far; they'd just be mud lugs anyway. It could be worth setting up wind-breaks to prevent/reduce future damage, though. "Debris netting" (e.g. something like this) is probably the best thing to search for (most products advertised as windbreaks are more like privacy screens and/or are over-priced).

Those new leaves on your YTB sound like they could be suckers. I know how tempting it is to keep them when a plant has lost a lot of it's primary leaves, but they won't improve yield if allowed to grow out; they'll just complicate harvest, curing, and pest management.
Would the suckers not help the plant keep on with the photosynthesis if most of the others are lost? in a period while the new primary leaves grow in.

usually it's the roots (potato, carrots) I'm after when gardening. So this is new to me.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I would suggest removing the sucker, thus forcing the primary leaf to expand and grow. Sucker leaf is often a nuisance to handle, and often yields inferior leaf. The presence of the suckers will signal the plant to direct nutrients from the roots toward the suckers, reducing the growth of the primary stalk.

Bob

EDIT: The only suckers that I encourage keeping is a single sucker when the primary stalk has been broken off.

Bob

Frelono

I would suggest removing the sucker, thus forcing the primary leaf to expand and grow. Sucker leaf is often a nuisance to handle, and often yields inferior leaf. The presence of the suckers will signal the plant to direct nutrients from the roots toward the suckers, reducing the growth of the primary stalk.

Bob

EDIT: The only suckers that I encourage keeping is a single sucker when the primary stalk has been broken off.

Bob
Thanks for the knowledge.

Frelono

The northern climate is not the best but they are growing slowly but surely.

Attachments

• 20220723_171658.jpg
    20220723_171658.jpg
    248.7 KB · Views: 8
  • 20220723_171642.jpg
    20220723_171642.jpg
    257.2 KB · Views: 8
  • 20220723_171637.jpg
    20220723_171637.jpg
    272.4 KB · Views: 8
  • 20220723_171616.jpg
    20220723_171616.jpg