Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

FrostD’s 2023 Grow Blog

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I use a generic permethrin 0.5% spray (plus inactive ingredients). I can't read the ingredients on the Bonide product in your image. Bonide lists multiple, similarly named products with differing ingredients. I know nothing about the "with the lights on!" spray.

Bob

FrostD

Week 25 1/2 from seed. Last few weeks have been pretty hectic with work, throwing my back out, pup vet appointments/surgery. Hoping to do some more priming or outright cutting down on some plants tonight. Had some spotty rain showers the last few days, some strong winds that knocked some plants down in small pots and damaged some leaves, and temps in the 60’s-70’s F. Tonight seems to be the lowest where it’s forecasted to hit 45F. Fingers staying crossed folks!

Solo cup little guys! Some of the Habano 2000 plants are getting some spec’s on them, considering just chucking them. Let them flower just to see how they look.
IMG_6070.jpeg
IMG_6071.jpeg

Big brother plants:
IMG_6072.jpeg
IMG_6073.jpeg
IMG_6075.jpeg

Bagged heads. First pic is Habano 2000 which seems to be coming along nicely. First ever attempt at bagging heads for seed. Other 3 varieties I may have messed up by wrapping and tying bag to tight. Had to pick a couple other plants that started to flower since I messed up bagging on a few others. Tried stripping some of the little leaves by the flower heads to get adequate spacing to tie a bag on em. Three other varieties with bags on them still seem to be too tight and just growing flower heads right on top of each other with very little space.

Habano 2000:
IMG_6074.jpeg

CTBL, CT Shade, Criollo:
IMG_6078.jpeg
IMG_6079.jpeg

Crazy suckering on some plants that have gotten away from me a little. Most likely going to let them run their course for the time being and stalk harvest &/or prime them if needed before it gets too cold. In addition to marking them as “sucker crop”.
IMG_6076.jpeg
IMG_6077.jpeg

Color curing of leaves over this summer. Drying rack is within the last few weeks. Basement hanging are ones that have appeared to be dried already. Feedback &/or comments welcome!
IMG_6080.jpeg
IMG_6081.jpeg
IMG_6082.jpeg
IMG_6083.jpeg

Current basement temp/rh:
IMG_6084.jpeg

FrostD

Side note: Some leaves I’ve been picking and then spraying bugs off with a hose. Letting them air dry outside for a bit before picking off remaining bugs & then stringing & hanging up. Seems to be ok and not leeching anything out of them.

I’m going to echo what I’ve mentioned before as well for my situation… bigger pots &/or 5 gallon buckets only next year. Will be fine with less overall plants. Blow overs in smaller pots have been a nuisance and damaged a good amount of leaves this year.

FrostD

You might want to look into porous grow bags- quite a few success stories using those....
I do have some fabric pots that were given to me from some companies at work expos. Good call though. I’ll have to see if any are big enough. I’d personally go for 3-5 Gallon size as a minimum for my setup for next year. Might be a good idea to do a side by side even.

FrostD

Picked 66x CT Shade Leaves a moment ago. Broke out the hose with a sprayer attached and gave em all a bath. Since they are still a bit wet, stacked and wrapped…ish in towels. Put them under my drying rack to try to trap some more humidity within it. Will be inspecting and restacking in the morning.

66x picked:
IMG_6090.jpeg

Stacked in towels under drying rack:
IMG_6091.jpeg
IMG_6092.jpeg

Bottom layer of leaf has about 20 leaf roughly 3 stacks on top of each other. If I wasn’t inspecting and rotating tomorrow, I would not be doing this with them wet, as I could foresee mold and other issues occurring.

FrostD

End of week 27 I believe from seed! Primed some more CTBL leaf. A few plants have some leaves that are really starting to yellow up. A couple solo cup Habano 2000 are pretty much done completely it looks like.

IMG_6139.jpeg
IMG_6140.jpeg
IMG_6141.jpeg
IMG_6142.jpeg
IMG_6144.jpeg
In the above pic, you can zoom in and see how crazy the suckering is for some plants. I’m just letting them go to see how the leaf turns out.

Chopped down this bagged head for some Habano 2000 seed. It looked like it was ready.
IMG_6143.jpeg
IMG_6153.jpeg

My other 3 bagged heads look similar to this on. Fingers crossed it can produce viable seed:
IMG_6145.jpeg

Moved some more leaf from the sunroom to the basement to hang until next spring…ish:
IMG_6146.jpeg
IMG_6147.jpeg

Currently on drying rack:
IMG_6154.jpeg

FrostD

The solo cups were a bit of an experiment for me. I took them off one of the bud sites that looked pretty mature.
IMG_6148.jpeg
IMG_6149.jpeg

I spilt it in 1/2
IMG_6150.jpeg
IMG_6151.jpeg

Seeds from just 1 half. Holy moly!
IMG_6152.jpeg

If I was going to keep this seed, it definitely makes sense to dry em out before trying to harvest any seed. Definitely a learning experience and an interesting year of learning!

FrostD

To keep or not to keep… that is the question. I have a feeling I may know the answer to the question, but wanted to double check here since this is my first year trying to collect seed.

I’ve chopped down the bud head on a Habano 2000 plant. No bugs and lots of brown pods on it. Now the bud bag is hanging in the sun room for now.

In anticipation of cold temps coming up, have a bunch more leaf priming and decided to trim the bud heads off of the remaining plants.

Criollo-Has plenty of aphids on the buds and flower sections.
IMG_6174.jpeg

CTBL- No bugs, but compressed and not a ton of brown seed pods yet
IMG_6175.jpeg

CT Shade-No bugs, but very compressed again. Good amount of green left.
IMG_6176.jpeg

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
For seed collecting, you really need only a single, matured pod from each variety. (Expect at least 1000 seeds, likely more, per pod.) As for the aphids, if you had no exposed blossoms from other varieties, then I would be inclined to keep those pods. I've seen aphids on bud sepals, but never in the interior of an open blossom. The Agribon AG15 that I use for my bud bags keeps out aphids, so I really have no experience with them, other than on the fully exposed blossoms of my Orientals. And again, I've never noticed them selecting blossom interiors.

Bob

FrostD

For seed collecting, you really need only a single, matured pod from each variety. (Expect at least 1000 seeds, likely more, per pod.) As for the aphids, if you had no exposed blossoms from other varieties, then I would be inclined to keep those pods. I've seen aphids on bud sepals, but never in the interior of an open blossom. The Agribon AG15 that I use for my bud bags keeps out aphids, so I really have no experience with them, other than on the fully exposed blossoms of my Orientals. And again, I've never noticed them selecting blossom interiors.

Bob
Thanks Bob! There is hope then!

FrostD

Busy busy weekend! Got home from work trip yesterday mid morning. Within an hour of return, took the pups to a dog park, drove an hour to a neighboring town that has free spring water 24/7 coming from a “faucet” on the side of the road. Filled up roughly 12 gallons worth. Then hit up a nursery and picked up some extra pots for plants we are bringing in. They let us take some cuttings and dried up flowers to collect seed from other varieties as well of various coleus’s! Afterward, hit up the local butcher shop and grabbed a few things to cook up this week.

Broke out the grill and cast iron pan to sear up a bone in chuck roast and seared the sides. Then tossed in some red onions and garlic cloves into the pan to caramelized them up. Now to let the slow cooker do its thing! Tossed in a fresh rosemary sprig from the Aerogarden & a couple bay leaves. Added some carrots & will be adding some celery I believe and perhaps some small potatoes if we decide to not do garlic mashed.

IMG_6190.jpeg

Next up after running some errands will be updates to the tobacco plants. As Today marks the start of Week 30 from seed.

FrostD

Week 30 from seed!

With temps hitting a low of 35F & first frost warning came out for 1AM tomorrow morning, figured I’d chop down the rest of the plants I have still standing.

Last of the Habano 2000 plant leaves taken down. Was going to harvest the sucker plants, but for the sake of time, will probably just chuck em. Being gone for a week for work allowed the aphids to create some colonies. Here are the picked leaves. Decided to do a “water bath” in the metal cooking tray… tried to clean bugs/aphids off each leaf… very time consuming. Will be looking for @deluxestogie ’s recommendation on the product to use at transplant to use next year. These aphids are killing me!

Habano 2000’s before I chop them down in a bit:
IMG_6191.jpeg

Water bath & Habano 2000 leaves:
IMG_6192.jpeg

CTBL & CT Shade left to go:
IMG_6198.jpeg
IMG_6194.jpeg
IMG_6195.jpeg
IMG_6196.jpeg

Aaaaaaand the solo cup bonsais!
IMG_6197.jpeg

FrostD

Thats
I use imidacloprid (at the dosing for tomatoes) in the transplant water. Just that single dose. Its effect is pretty much gone by the time that blossoms form. So I always have some aphids at the end of the season. Removing even tiny suckers minimizes the aphids.

Bob
That’s right! Imidacloprid! Adding it into my cart the next opportunity I get. Have some time now before it’s needed! Thanks again Bob!