Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Full Turkish Blend

Status
Not open for further replies.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Knucks,
You can just densely plant Big Gem, at 1 sq. ft. per plant, and don't top it. Then you can let us all know what you got.

Bob

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Knucks,
You can just densely plant Big Gem, at 1 sq. ft. per plant, and don't top it. Then you can let us all know what you got.

Bob

I set aside an area that I didn't grow clover on for my Turkish varieties. I will put some Big Gem there for comparison with Big Gem grown in my cigarette tobacco location. Good idea, Bob. Have you found Big Gem to have a similar taste to BSS-Maden?
I've started a paper grow blog that will be transferred to FTT grow blog when I have more info. Right now it contains prep stuff.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I did not find a resemblance between Samsun Maden and Big Gem. The Samsun Maden is distinctly "Turkish," mildly aromatic and generally mild. The Big Gem I found to be clearly related to other flue-cure varieties, though with a huge, thick leaf. I produced some green candela cigar wrapper from Big Gem in my Cozy Can. These were thick, tough, and almost flavorless--as would be expected for candela. The air-cured and kilned Big Gem offered little to distinguish it from many of the other flue-cure varieties that I've grown, other than a tendency to produce a somewhat more rank growth.

Bob

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I wonder if JBD's nitrogen rate had anything to do with it. He sent samples of each. Or ghosting in my pipe? Uh Oh

istanbulin

Founding Member
..All your posts are making me want to visit Turkey. Especially Istanbul. The history of that city...

I invited a lot of people here from the US and I never saw a discontentent visitor. Just buy a flight ticket :D (Ministry of tourism should hire me, LOL)

istanbulin

Founding Member
I just tried some puro BSS-Maden. It's my new favorite tobacco. I then triedn some Big Gem and it was surprisingly similar to BSS-Maden, but a much heavier producer. I would be interested in Big Gem grown like an Oriental. That might be a very interesting smoke. Perhaps Istanbulin could add Big Gem to his grow list. :confused:

As Bob said, plant it denser. Probably it'll be milder than usual.
My seed list is about to reach the optimum capacity :) I've my own old seeds and I also requested some same seeds (with mines) from the friends here to compare and write good posts for the forum. Also I've new varieties to try. I think I'll try Big Gem next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.