Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Fun WLT Game!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DGBAMA

Good construction ...... Thickest/hardest to ignite leaves toward the center.

By "condiment" the reference is to leaves that a small amount have a disproportionate influence on flavor profile.

Found it! Also, not sure what is meant by a condiment - I tend to use Ligero more as a "center of the structure" when bunching, something that, once lit, takes longer to go out and holds the ash to the stick better.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I just located my edits to the original graphic. The evil wording (and apparently distressing opinion) is entirely my own. Also, I overlooked the misspelled Volado in forwarding my suggestions, which appeared as is in the original graphic. My baddado.

Bob

waikikigun

I just located my edits to the original graphic. The evil wording (and apparently distressing opinion) is entirely my own. Also, I overlooked the misspelled Volado in forwarding my suggestions, which appeared as is in the original graphic. My baddado.

Bob
When I hear Vol'dado I visualize a dancefloor situation, maybe the Jitterbug's going on, and one dude is really kicking it up, and another dude shouts out, "Fly, Daddy-o!"

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Like a supernova, this thread exploded in popularity, and then the excitement was over. Don is just that quick! I didn't even have time to go out and buy a 60" flat-panel TV to watch it.

As to the opinion side of this, I think ChinaVoodoo touches the issue. If you need to look at that chart, it should be simple. [In fact, the original was far more detailed and nuanced--including priming levels, etc.--than I felt would be useful to a novice.] So if you're a novice at cigar rolling/blending, that chart is hopefully of help in understanding WLT's cigar leaf offerings.

Bob

waikikigun

Like a supernova, this thread exploded in popularity, and then the excitement was over. Don is just that quick! I didn't even have time to go out and buy a 60" flat-panel TV to watch it.

As to the opinion side of this, I think ChinaVoodoo touches the issue. If you need to look at that chart, it should be simple. [In fact, the original was far more detailed and nuanced--including priming levels, etc.--than I felt would be useful to a novice.] So if you're a novice at cigar rolling/blending, that chart is hopefully of help in understanding WLT's cigar leaf offerings.

Bob
It's still exactly the same for me, and that's with a different browser and nothing cached. But anyway, if did succeed than I believe it was premature. I work hard to generate interest, involvement, and entertainment. ;)

Here's the thing on the other aspect: while it may or may not be true that ligero is generally found in same-or-greater quantities than seco in modern blends, it's irrelevant, because in fact WLT's ligero offering are all unusually mild (Yes, I've tried them all and have most of them still in my stock), such that even ligero puros still do not deliver the strength that these modern smokers you alluded to are looking for. And so, as they try to come up with something that matches their expectations, they will fail with a condiment's-worth of ligero, and will have to up the dose. And keep upping the dose. And keep again. Ultimately many of them will come to the "what's the most ligero and least seco I can put in this sucker and still have it burn?" game. To show these poor modern-taste saps a little mercy, I'd have said, since we're talking about WLT's offerings, "Generally used in equivalent or great amounts than the other primings."

The one exception may be the Nicaraguan Habano Ligero. I haven't sampled the current, recent shipment tho.

jParnell

[...] members of this forum conspicuously have no moral authority on the subject of spelling.

If it makes anybody feel any better, I noticed the difference in spelling and thought I had been spelling it wrong all along. I certainly have 0 authority in spelling. If it wasn't for autocorrect, y'all might think me developmentally challenged.

To quote my father, "How can you be failing English, you speak it!"

jParnell

What priming, generally, is wrapper or binder at? Or is that more of a "depends on quality of leaf after curing" kind of decision? Logically, I'd think that maybe upper Volado or lower Seco leaves would be binder/wrapper, as you want them to be at least a little more combustible than your filler to prevent tunneling.

My goal this year is to get a curing/storage shed built to cure 600 plants worth of leaves, a greenhouse for seedlings, and prep three 100 ft² plots to grow. Rotate crops every 3 years, and age accordingly. I think the GA climate is humid and elevated enough to really make tobacco thrive.

I've thought about getting a starter crop growing this year, 20 or so, because I don't have time to build the infrastructure to support a large crop this season, and because from what I've read on this site, nobody's first crop comes out quite like they hope, but the experience turns their 2nd crop into a pride and joy scenario.

Biggest problem with my land is that after the first 6 inches of top soil it's mostly red clay, so I'll have to dig out and import some good growing dirt before I can start in earnest.

DGBAMA

As long as it drains reasonably you will be fine. If you can till 8" and make mounded rows 6" high thats over a foot deep to grow.
What priming, generally, is wrapper or binder at? Or is that more of a "depends on quality of leaf after curing" kind of decision? Logically, I'd think that maybe upper Volado or lower Seco leaves would be binder/wrapper, as you want them to be at least a little more combustible than your filler to prevent tunneling.

My goal this year is to get a curing/storage shed built to cure 600 plants worth of leaves, a greenhouse for seedlings, and prep three 100 ft² plots to grow. Rotate crops every 3 years, and age accordingly. I think the GA climate is humid and elevated enough to really make tobacco thrive.

I've thought about getting a starter crop growing this year, 20 or so, because I don't have time to build the infrastructure to support a large crop this season, and because from what I've read on this site, nobody's first crop comes out quite like they hope, but the experience turns their 2nd crop into a pride and joy scenario.

Biggest problem with my land is that after the first 6 inches of top soil it's mostly red clay, so I'll have to dig out and import some good growing dirt before I can start in earnest.

Your reasoning is sound for wrapper/binder. Also there are varieties grown for just this purpose. 2 traits these posess that you dont mention are very small leaf veigns and elasticity to allow stretching without tearing.

waikikigun

I'm not involved anywhere in the production/farming phase (unlike most of the usual suspects on this forum), but from what I've read, I'd guess the answer is, "from all over the plant." From wherever you can get a nice leaf.

Jim D

Here's the game: find this "voldado" graphic on the WLT website. When you've found it, respond to this thread that you've found it, but don't tell where it is. For bonus points, say whether you agree that seco is the primary filler and that ligero is a condiment.
View attachment 26783
Finally found it today!
As far as the seco vs ligero, early on I enjoyed an even balance. Now, I'm enjoying several that don't have any ligero...but just this week I've started putting ligero back in.
Guess I don't believe there is a general rule to follow there. The only leaf that I seem to prefer as a condiment so that it doesn't take over is the Honduran filler. That one takes over a blend easily in my opinion so I only use it sparingly.

waikikigun

Finally found it today!
As far as the seco vs ligero, early on I enjoyed an even balance. Now, I'm enjoying several that don't have any ligero...but just this week I've started putting ligero back in.
Guess I don't believe there is a general rule to follow there. The only leaf that I seem to prefer as a condiment so that it doesn't take over is the Honduran filler. That one takes over a blend easily in my opinion so I only use it sparingly.
Great! Do you find that it's in the "gazillion" places that others have found, or the one unique place that I stumbled upon?

Status
Not open for further replies.