Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Furryfreek 2022 (2nd Grow)

furryfreek

Well-Known Member
Joined
Mar 14, 2021
Messages
90
Points
53
Location
England (SW)
I let my baccy plants get a bit too dry the other week, causing some (namely Symbol 4) to start browning, but they handled the drout far better than anything else in the garden.
0825a.jpg 0825b.jpg 0825c.jpg 0825d.jpg

Curing space is already getting tight but I'm stalk-cutting as much as I dare while space permits. The climate tends to fluctuate a lot here this time of year so I'm hoping the stalks will help buffer some of that. Once yellowed, I'll strip the leaves and string them up to finish. The Little/Ohio Dutch all coloured up quite synchronously on the stalk, so I've been able to strip and string them all in one go. For the other varieties, which I expect to yellow more gradually, I'll probably strip a few leaves at a time and trim the stalks down as I go to free up horizontal space.
0825e.jpg 0825f.jpg 0825g.jpg

Did I mention space was tight? Well, so is my budget but they say necessity is the mother of invention:
0825h.jpg 0825i.jpg
The tarpaulin turned out not to be ideal when faced with heavy rain the other day. It has a few leaks and I've not figured out a way of rigging it up to avoid lots of water pooling up (and covering all angles). Luckily, nothing got dripped on too much except recently cut stalks, all still green and barely wilted. So no harm done, I hope. I may have to invest in some corrugated paneling or something for the roof.
 

furryfreek

Well-Known Member
Joined
Mar 14, 2021
Messages
90
Points
53
Location
England (SW)
Funny, last year everything except my Basma was a bit hit and miss with regard to curing; this year it's the opposite way 'round. I think it's partly because I haven't been micro-managing my orientals half as much this year, despite there being a lot more variation between them all. Never mind though. You win some; you lose some. On the whole, I've won far more than I've lost and even those iffy orientals should yield a fair amount of acceptable-ish leaf.

Anyway, the main crop is all harvested now. All that remain are suckers and a few bare stalks, naked save for the bags over their heads.
0919a.jpg

About half of my unplanned (but hardly unforeseen) sucker crop is coming along nicely — I've already topped several Little Dutch suckers in the last few days — but the rest look kinda' ill and stunted. I'm thinking I aughta' clean my loppers more regularly 'cause I notice quite a few stumps have gone sorta' gammy shortly after being cut.
0919b.jpg

I've also noticed some weird sucker growth emerging from the top of one or two stumps. I think I've read of this happening but I've never actually seen it before.
0919d.jpg

I made some adjustments to my outdoor curing structure a few weeks ago. I assumed the tarpaulin covering would allow adequate ventilation the way I had it before, tied down to the sides of the frame, but I found that it could become a bit too much of a heat trap in some circumstances. So I pulled the sides open with guy ropes, anchored with fence pins to keep them up out of reach of feet and dogs. To make the roof watertight, I found a sheet of corrugated PVC at the local builders merchants which happened to fit almost perfectly. All I had to do was widen and brace the gap between a couple of the uprights by an inch or so and slide the PVC in under the tarpaulin. It fit snugly enough to stay in place without additional fixings. It just needs a few sticks beneath, baccy laden or otherwise, to keep it from sagging down in the middle.
0913a.jpg 0919e.jpg

I've had a couple of close calls with mold when we've had cold, wet weather but I've caught it all soon enough to prevent any significant damage thus far.
0919f.jpg
This is the worst of two primed Helena leaves which curled/folded in on themselves, trapping moisture and inviting mold. When stalk-hung, Yellow Pryor seems to be quite susceptible, due to how close the leaves are spaced and how much they overlap laterally around the stalk. Several leaves around mid stalk position started to mold a little but it's hardly noticeable now, a week or so since I stripped and strung 'em.

Oh, note to self: Label everything ASAFP!
 
Top