Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Garden Maintenance

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScottRW

When your tobacco is all harvested. And you are cleaning up your tobacco patch for spring planting, what do you do with the roots, till/grind/plow them into the ground or pull them out with the stalk ?

Jack in NB

Founding Member
I chopped my stems into 18"- 2 ft chunks, pulled the roots with some dirt, and threw the lot onto my compost pile. My piles are about 3 years maturing, and all that debris is digested nicely by then.

ChinaVoodoo

About the same as the above for me. I knock everything over and bury it all in autumn. In spring, I put the roots into the compost, and I chop up the stalks with my spade and turn them into the soil.

ScottRW

I've been doing about the same as you guys, but just wondered if there was a better or more efficient way of doing things...... just a helpful hint, the dried stalks in late fall and winter make great kindling for starting a fire in a wood stove..

ChinaVoodoo

I think, ideally, I would own a chipper, and run all the stalks through it and into the compost.

I do wonder if tiling it in would perpetuate a disease cycle.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
If you should develop any significant disease burden, then I would suggest burning both the stalks and the roots, to minimize over-wintering.

Bob

skychaser

I pulled mine, shook most of the dirt off and burned them.
That is the best thing to do if you have any diseases present. I till all mine in with a 3 point tiller and tractor in the fall. Then do it over again in early spring. By planting time is is all broken down to nothing. I heat sterilize all my compost that is used in the greenhouse, mostly to eliminate any weed seed. But if you have disease problem of any kind, I would heat sterilize it before putting it back in the garden.

JennyLeez

ScottRW and that is what I did. I chopped the thick stems up and they are drying out in a back shed. Definitely will make great fire starters.
The roots were too large for my home compost so I took them to the local dump and added them to their composting :)

Status
Not open for further replies.