Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

GarryRicketson 1st grow attempt 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
This evening I found one snail, it still was not dark, but guess he WAS a 'early riser", moving right along, pretty fas for a snail, making a bee line for a younger plant, I cut it's head off with my spatchula, so got some vengence. Interesting, about the flashlight, at night, based on what I am seeing there are not to many, but in the mornings, there are all ways 2 or 3 plants with more holes in the leaves....pretty much the smallest plants. The bigger plants ,they seem to be leaving alone.

Happy Hunting! It's payback time. lol

Snails are usually a problem only with the smaller plants. I suppose once the leaves get some nicotine in them the snails bow out and make way for the horn worms.

garryricketson

Well , here is a update of my grow so far, pretty "scraggly",..lots of problems with constant wind, and my lack of experience.
SAM_1073.jpgSAM_1075.jpgSAM_1076.jpgSAM_1077.jpgSAM_1078.jpgSAM_1079.jpgSAM_1080.jpgSAM_1081.jpgSAM_1082.jpgSAM_1083.jpg
These are 4 months old, every time they start to grow, and get some good size leafs, the wind shrivels them up,and tears them off, so they start over.

leverhead

Some time ago, you mentioned that you bought tobacco from a local grower. How did he deal with the wind and dry air problem?

garryricketson

Well, he is not exactly local, I am in Cuencame,Dgo. Where I buy the tobacco is Penon Blanco,,Dgo. all though it is only about 45 miles from here, maybe less , it is completely different environment , they are in a valley, protected by higher hills, with a river. Further up stream, is a hot springs area, it is all volcanic soil. Penon Blanco is very pretty, a small community, but with lots of farms,fields, basically a "self sufficient" community, growing corn ,beans ,ect.
Cuencame is a "highway town", but with the building of the "auto pista",or toll road, the major Nth-Sth route, there is not much in Cuencame, no industry,no farms,or agriculture, no irrigation, really a pretty horrible place. I do not live in Cuencame because I like it, I am here because this is where I have my Job, I am a stone cutter, most of the people that do work, in Cuencame (very few), are working in some mining related work, where I work is involved in mining (mineral) operations, and also construction work.
I only stay in Cuencame, 6 days a week, for work...here where I work does have 2 wells, so my boss gave me permission to plant in a small area, by one of the wells, ......We use a lot of water when cutting the stone, but that is another subject.
Where I have my home, my wife,etc, is in "Palomas", (Margarita Machado,Dgo.). I also have a small place,piece of land in a pueblo near Palomas, there we do have a lot of agriculture, "La Presa Francisco Zarco", Nuevo Graceros,Dgo. However I would need to be there most of the time, in order to grow anything, to take care of the plants ,etc.
It all ties to, this is where my job is, I am economically dependent on this job, that is to say, we live paycheck to paycheck, and then just barely make ends meet. Mexico is very much different then the US, and jobs are not that easy to find, and there is no "charity",welfare,unemployment ,etc. so it is not like I can just quit my job, and get on welfare.
Part of the problem is, I was not really very well prepared this year, when I first planted, I need to build a coral, fence off a area, then also build some sort of frame,shelter that I could cover with plastic like a green house, for when I start the plants.
After all said and done, it is cheaper and easier to just buy the tobacco, from the guys in Penon Blanco, I pay about $10.00 lb. Actually,
300 pesos per kilo, 4 kilos is enough for the year,.. 1 kilo =2.5 lbs
There is a huge piece of land for sale in Penon Blanco, beautiful, however it is way above my ability to buy it, but that is another topic, it has the river on the lowside, and also the irrigation canal goes thru the higher side, ...
If I do try to plant again next year, I am sure I can do better, but it will take a lot more work then I expected. I work 6 1/2 days a week, 10 hours a day, but Sat, we only work 6 hours. This does not leave me with much time,nor energy to take care of a tobacco , or any garden. At 60 I am slowing down and tired too.

garryricketson

Just a quick update, and I will try to get some photos on this weekend. The wind has finally started to die off, we have been getting several calm days, my plants are getting bigger, things look better.
Some of the Bursa I planted are really starting to take off,
Anyway, things are looking better, only some photos will show, the change....

DGBAMA

Good to hear that. If it is normal for winds to stabilize this time of year, might consider planting a few weeks later next season.

garryricketson

Yea, I agree there, I think that was one of my biggest mistakes, even though it is warm enough, I still should have waited and started my seeds some what later,.. or for next year, build a 5 or 6 ft high "wind break", of some sort, one side is pretty well protected, by a fence, and heavy "hedges", wild, but thick, with thorn bushes, and mesquite , but I would need the wind screen on the other 3 sides, There is some netting, we used in a orchard once , where I worked, that would work great.
I think maybe too I have been over watering some what,...I have been doing less water, and they seem to be doing better, growing more, and the main stems getting thicker,

BarG

Founding Member
Yea, I agree there, I think that was one of my biggest mistakes, even though it is warm enough, I still should have waited and started my seeds some what later,.. or for next year, build a 5 or 6 ft high "wind break", of some sort, one side is pretty well protected, by a fence, and heavy "hedges", wild, but thick, with thorn bushes, and mesquite , but I would need the wind screen on the other 3 sides, There is some netting, we used in a orchard once , where I worked, that would work great.
I think maybe too I have been over watering some what,...I have been doing less water, and they seem to be doing better, growing more, and the main stems getting thicker,

Don't over water your tobacco plants. Use your judgement but they are hardy plants. They love rain, I can go with never watering before. If the soil is holding moisture your fine.

BarG

Founding Member
Well , here is a update of my grow so far, pretty "scraggly",..lots of problems with constant wind, and my lack of experience.
View attachment 10433View attachment 10434View attachment 10435View attachment 10436View attachment 10437View attachment 10438View attachment 10439View attachment 10440View attachment 10441View attachment 10442
These are 4 months old, every time they start to grow, and get some good size leafs, the wind shrivels them up,and tears them off, so they start over.

Most tobacco likes full sun.

garryricketson

Since the only free time I have is in the evening, after work , I only have time to transplant a few plants at a time, so what I have been doing is making sort of a "tent", that I put over the most recent transplants for some shade,..after a few days I remove it.

garryricketson

Here are some photos, of my "grow" now. 4 months, old the plants
SAM_1087.jpg
This one is in a cantera "flower pot" I made, it is big, holds about 10 gallons of dirt.
SAM_1088.jpgSAM_1089.jpgSAM_1090.jpgSAM_1091.jpg
This is one of the "bursa", a lot of the others,that are smaller are also bursa, they are just recently transplanted, but are doing much better then the rustica
SAM_1092.jpg
SAM_1093.jpgSAM_1094.jpgSAM_1095.jpgSAM_1096.jpg

Brown Thumb

Tobacco Patch Art. I like it. Where there is a will there is a way.
Plants are Looking Great Also.
BT

garryricketson

@BarG, Thanks, I am finding here, full sun all day is a bit too much ,especially for the transplants, but I do notice a considerable difference in the plants that get more sun, this fall, when there are no plants I am going to do a major "prunning" on the tree, in order to open up more area that gets enough sun. I am also looking into maybe renting a field, or finding someone that will "loan" me a few rows in some fields, where it is irrigated.
Probably too, I want to buy maybe 100 feet of this "netting" that is good for wind blocking and shade, well maybe 200 ft, then put posts in each row, ( 4 rows ) with wire to support the netting, this is to give the newly transplanted plants, protection from the wind, and also some shade, later when they get bigger and stronger, I can take then netting down. The few plants that I have that do get full sun, that is what I had to do when I first transplanted them, keep them shaded in the after noon, only for about a week though, thanks for mentioning this though,..That was another "mistake" I made, the area I choose is not quite big enough,..it seems like I will need a big enough area to have 4 , rows, abt 50 feet long, ideally, or 8 rows, 25 ft long, and like you say, open, where it gets full sun, ..here they do need some water at least once a day, I lost some plants, when I was gone for 2 days, (48 hours), they dried to a crisp,.. but yea, I have found that just a little water, in the morning, and a little in the evening, is better... before I was kind of really "soaking" them.
This week end I am going to see about maybe getting a place (field) I can "rent", problem though, it is kind of far, and I will need to try to find someone that can make sure they get watered,. these are plans for next year,..

garryricketson

I took a few more photos, at about 1PM this after noon, it was sunny, but some clouds, when it is completely sunny, even photos do not come out to well, at least my camera can not handle the intensity of the brightness very well,..any way here is the photos:
SAM_1110.jpgSAM_1111.jpgSAM_1112.jpgSAM_1113.jpgSAM_1114.jpgSAM_1115.jpg
To the left side. they do get more shade in the after noon, the last 2 photos, is a small path, of Bursa, fairly recent, it gets some shade in the morning, but pretty much full sun, all after noon, the shade hits it again, late, about 7:30 pm, the first photos, get full sun all afternoon, right up til the sunsets,...
Ahh, one good news, maybe, I talked to a guy, today he has some fields, ready to plant, just waiting for the rains to start, not to far from here, he may let me plant a few, in a couple of rows, when they are ready, I just started some "Chilean", and "Maryland609"(I think), the rains should start in about a month, which should work out pretty close to when the seedlings are ready, they are 2 weeks old now, the "chilean" looks like it is doing well, I am impressed with the Bursa, it is also doing much better then the Rustica,.. the "little Dutch" not 1 survived, they died when I was gone a couple of days, "fried" to a crisp, ...however I did also plant a few little dutch at home, my wife has them in flower pots, and they are doing ok, not very big though,..need to get some photos though,..she is doing a good job caring for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.