Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Gawith Hoggarth: We'd like your input

Hi All!

Gawith Hoggarth & Co are putting together a new catalogue and also a new website.
We'd like input and feedback from people who smoke our products.
So I've put together some review forms where you can give a review on each one of our products (Gawith Hoggarth and Samuel Gawith pipe tobacco brands).

You can access all the forms from our website - Gawith Hoggarth & Co

Or to access individual forms, please do so here:

https://forms.gle/uVgX4cNLhSnxfFFJ6 Kendal Twist
https://forms.gle/VBVqm7vWd1DXthoG8 GH American Blends
https://forms.gle/ugmj98GrHGVVKkMAA Gawith Hoggarth Plugs
https://forms.gle/Ygb6HPMNQQb2aiRG9 Gawith Hoggarth Flakes
https://forms.gle/552GcDWqsnq2kTKv5 Gawith Hoggarth Exclusive Range
https://forms.gle/breDSRNcqGj9fMQj7 Gawith Hoggarth Mixtures

https://forms.gle/1Gyffs4AdCYKh9o38 Samuel Gawith Mixtures
https://forms.gle/4A5aHzEQHa8qb8ka8 Samuel Gawith Plugs
https://forms.gle/5Xg4QusxdHYrBuX48 Samuel Gawith Flakes

You can review as many products as you like but will need to fill in a new form for each one.
Please note that by doing so you give us the right to reproduce your review or parts of it in the catalogue and on the website.

We hope to have lots more opportunity for customer engagement in the future.

Rachel

P.S Any issues with the forms let me know, they have been tested but never can tell with "computer and website" stuff!

Hayden

Not only in the US but also in Germany now.
Had bought some skiff and squadron leader before it went out of stock here.
The skiff mixture was a pretty good latakia/oriental mixture.

We have already put out a press release several months ago. No products are out of stock for 2 years in the USA, its just demand is very high and stock sells out very very quickly. But even though a global pandemic and with the disruption of Brexit in the UK, we sent more products to the USA in the last 18 months than ever before. And we are working closely with the distributor and internally to increase production. But we are a small family company producing many hand made traditional products. Many of these are very labour intensive and take a long time to produce. We must balance increasing production with maintaining quality.

Following Brexit and the lack of co-operation of the EU to easily allows goods to be exported from the UK to the EU it has been extremely difficult to organise shipping to EU countries. However, we now have stock back in Spain and have plans underway to get stock back into other countries.

AromatiX

I live in Canada and am a huge fan of your tobaccos. I probably have a lifetime supply of 20 or more of your blends. Yes they are difficult to obtain but definitely not impossible. Most of them I have gotten through online and local stores but also as gifts or trades with friends. If I get a chance I will try to fill out some of the forms. Funny I was just heading out to smoke some Grasmere Flake and review it for my channel. I really enjoy that Rosewater topping, reminds me of Thrills gum here in Canada.

I live in Canada and am a huge fan of your tobaccos. I probably have a lifetime supply of 20 or more of your blends. Yes they are difficult to obtain but definitely not impossible. Most of them I have gotten through online and local stores but also as gifts or trades with friends. If I get a chance I will try to fill out some of the forms. Funny I was just heading out to smoke some Grasmere Flake and review it for my channel. I really enjoy that Rosewater topping, reminds me of Thrills gum here in Canada.
Please feel free to let me know the link to your youtube channel and I will link to it from ours.

Massive thank you to everyone that has taken the time to submit a review or two. There is some great feedback and I will go through each individual submission and take note of points and queries raised and try and address these in due course. If anyone has yet to give a review and would like to or if you'd like to review further products please do so.

We could do with a few more reviews of Gawith Hoggarth mixtures, Gawith Exclusiv blends, American Blends and Twists.

Pop along to http://www.gawithhoggarth.co.uk and click on contribute at the top. The forms are very simple - just choose a score from 1 to 5 for a handful of questions and then you can leave a more detailed review at the bottom.

Thanks again.

burge

Just curious what you call a lifetime supply?

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I just now went to smokingpipes.com and ordered four 1 oz. samples of Gawith Hoggarth pipe tobacco blends. These were the only ones that met the following conditions:
  • they were actually in stock
  • they did not list a major food group as an ingredient
I will be able to easily spot unflavored adulterants in the first puff (e.g. propylene glycol). We'll see, once I've given them a try.

Bob

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
What I ordered:
DVC
Gawith, Hoggarth & Co.'s DVC (Dark Virginia Cavendish) is a blend of bright, flue-cured leaf that's been slowly darkened through an extensive cavendishing process for a mellow, luxurious smoke.

Black Twist
A version of Black Irish X, taken straight from the spinning machine, resulting in a fairly consistent ribbon cut. All Gawith & Hoggarth twist tobacco varieties are manufactured by the same spinning process using dark fired wrapper leaves. The filler for Black Irish X is predominantly dark fired leaf with the addition of a small percentage of dark air cured Indian leaf. They are therefore strong tobaccos. Black Twist, because the cooking process removes some of the stronger tar and nicotine elements, provides a mellower smoke than the brown twist. [Bob's note: Cavendish cooking does not reduce the nicotine content, but instead lowers the pH slightly, so that less nicotine is absorbed in the oropharynx.]

#20 Latakia Mixture
Latakia dominates this Gawith, Hoggarth & Co. mixture, supported by blended Virginia leaf.

#12 Mixture
No.12 mixture - a blend of flue-cured bright Virginias and Latakia coarse cut. With this blend you not only have to like Latakia you have to positively "crave" the taste as this Gawith, Hoggarth & Co. blend contains 45% Latakia! [Bob's note: 45% Latakia is a medium-full Latakia blend. 60 to 75% Latakia might warrant an exclamation.]

Bob

ChinaVoodoo

20 years ago I tried Bob's Chocolate and was not a fan. Therefore, I didn't try any of the G&H products ever again.

Edit... That was a Gawith and Hoggarth product. Samuel Gawith on the other hand: I believe I can help as I do have fond memories. In fact if I was going to actually purchase pipe tobacco, my top two brands would be SG and Germain.

Last edited:

TigerTom

What I ordered:
DVC
Gawith, Hoggarth & Co.'s DVC (Dark Virginia Cavendish) is a blend of bright, flue-cured leaf that's been slowly darkened through an extensive cavendishing process for a mellow, luxurious smoke.

Black Twist
A version of Black Irish X, taken straight from the spinning machine, resulting in a fairly consistent ribbon cut. All Gawith & Hoggarth twist tobacco varieties are manufactured by the same spinning process using dark fired wrapper leaves. The filler for Black Irish X is predominantly dark fired leaf with the addition of a small percentage of dark air cured Indian leaf. They are therefore strong tobaccos. Black Twist, because the cooking process removes some of the stronger tar and nicotine elements, provides a mellower smoke than the brown twist. [Bob's note: Cavendish cooking does not reduce the nicotine content, but instead lowers the pH slightly, so that less nicotine is absorbed in the oropharynx.]

#20 Latakia Mixture
Latakia dominates this Gawith, Hoggarth & Co. mixture, supported by blended Virginia leaf.

#12 Mixture
No.12 mixture - a blend of flue-cured bright Virginias and Latakia coarse cut. With this blend you not only have to like Latakia you have to positively "crave" the taste as this Gawith, Hoggarth & Co. blend contains 45% Latakia! [Bob's note: 45% Latakia is a medium-full Latakia blend. 60 to 75% Latakia might warrant an exclamation.]

Bob

Cornell & Diehl makes a blend called Pirate Kake. It is 75% latakia with some turkish and burley thrown in.

Smoking a bowl of that is like smoking...smoke. Yeah. Smoking smoke.

ChinaVoodoo

I've had to do some introspection about my first post in this thread. I was less than polite and have since edited my post. One thing that I want to say is that I've realized, if I consider my efforts in my homegrown processing, the benchmark of what I'm trying to obtain is in the realm of Samuel Gawith blends whether they be all natural or Lakeland types. Their tobaccos have a very honest and non mass produced character which I appreciate tremendously.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Gawith & Hoggarth

Garden20220407_6320_pipeBlends_GawithHoggarth_700a.jpg

DVC
"Gawith, Hoggarth & Co.'s DVC (Dark Virginia Cavendish) is a blend of bright, flue-cured leaf that's been slowly darkened through an extensive cavendishing process for a mellow, luxurious smoke."

I smoked the DVC in a corncob pipe. Pouch aroma is a soft, Cavendish-like smell. It lights well, and smokes smooth and mild. The pH seems reasonable. Smoke aroma is that of a typical, Virginia flue-cured Cavendish. Nicotine is moderate. I sense a slight palate burn, suggestive of propylene glycol, though not a lot. It's not a bad smoke, but pure, home-cooked VA flue-cured Cavendish is considerably more enjoyable. Wet pipe.

Black Twist
"A version of Black Irish X, taken straight from the spinning machine, resulting in a fairly consistent ribbon cut.

[All Gawith & Hoggarth twist tobacco varieties are manufactured by the same spinning process using dark fired wrapper leaves. The filler for Black Irish X is predominantly dark fired leaf with the addition of a small percentage of dark air cured Indian leaf. They are therefore strong tobaccos. Black Twist, because the cooking process removes some of the stronger tar and nicotine elements, provides a mellower smoke than the brown twist.]"

I smoked this strange blend in a briar Lovat, after a 24 hour, open-pouch dry-down. It still felt quite damp. Pouch aroma is intense, though not with a tobacco aroma. After several hours of dry-down in the pipe, it still feels damp, but lights easily, and burns well (too well for tobacco), leaving a gray-white ash that seems somewhat adherent, damp, and perhaps sooty or oily. The mouth taste is slightly acrid, suggestive of burning wax or oil or fat. It produces a dense cloud of smoke. Smoke aroma is odd, whereas it should smell mostly like fire-cured leaf. There is a slight aroma of dark fire-cured Cavendish in the background. Nicotine is full, though not over the top. I won't say this is awful. It was...interesting. It just bears no resemblance to smoking tobacco that I would choose. Very wet pipe.

#20 Latakia Mixture
"Latakia dominates this Gawith, Hoggarth & Co. mixture, supported by blended Virginia leaf."

This blend was smoked in my (@Knucklehead) poker-sitter briar. Pouch aroma that of a mild Latakia, English blend, after an overnight open-pouch dry-down. Infinitely long, fine shred suggests that stemmed, whole leaf was rolled tightly, then sliced. This lights and burns well. Smoke aroma is of a mild Latakia / Virginia blend, with some Cavendishing of the VA flue-cured. Latakia likely no higher than 30%. Aroma profile subtle. pH balance seems good. Nicotine is mild. I detect a small amount of propylene glycol. This is a generally pleasant smoke, and one that I could recommend. Wet pipe.

#12 Mixture
"No.12 mixture - a blend of flue-cured bright Virginias and Latakia coarse cut. With this blend you not only have to like Latakia you have to positively "crave" the taste as this Gawith, Hoggarth & Co. blend contains 45% Latakia!"

I packed this into my Ropp Canadian briar. Pouch aroma of a moderate Latakia, English blend, after an overnight open-pouch dry-down. Lights and burns well. Smoke aroma is moderate Latakia with a soft Virginia flue-cure undertone. The pH leans a bit toward the acidic (mild tongue bite), more so than with their #20 Latakia Mixture. The "coarse-cut" Latakia is actually a long-strand, fine shred. Nicotine is mild. The pipe finishes relatively dry. This is a fairly nice English Latakia blend, and one that I would recommend.

Bob

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I just stumbled into this description for Black Twist:
"Traditionally, twists were used as either a chewing tobacco, or were smoked in pipes that usually had small bowls. A popular choice for coal miners, where smoking was dangerous because it could cause explosions, a chunk of rope could be cut off and chewed. Once out of the mine, slices could be cut from the rope and rubbed into a pipe to be smoked."

I happen to know a coal miner, to whom I will give my little bag of Black Twist.

Bob