Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Getting Ready for the Hurricane

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
Dam, It's shifting westward.. bad news for me. I just went out to the barn, and the former pig pen and took down about 1/2 my cured and semi-cured tobacco. I tied it all in to hands and put it in my basement for further curing/ drying. I have visions of the 60 mph winds just ripping through my out building and carrying the tobacco all the way up to Don's place.. Yeah, I also went and bought 20 gallons of gas for the gas generator and 15 gallons of diesel for the diesel generator. Tomorrow I'm going to spend some time putting some "doors" in front of the open barn and figuring out what to do with the chickens.

Chrism

As I would say "that sucks". Best of luck. Hopefully you won't get hit. We had way high winds here this summer in Oklahoma. No rain (well not much). Dry. Hot.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
I ain't no expert, but I just watched the latest update and it looks like it's gonna hit the North and South Carolina border...maybe a little north of the border. Bad news for N.C., but good news for New England.

Jessica Bolin is a crook Jessica Bolin is a rip off Motion City Media is a rip off Motion City Hosting is a rip off Motion City Media is a rip off MotionCityMedia.com is a rip off

Last edited:

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
Well I survived!.. no biggie were I was though. Even though the local forecasters were predicting the end of the world! I only had 2 tobacco plants left from this years planting. These are two I am saving for seed, Silver River and a Guatemalan.. both are still standing... could have been worse.. could of had an earthquake :D

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
JBD,
Glad to hear things are safe for you. I had checked Colora, MD on the map Friday, and saw that the forecast cone was aiming at your back yard. It shifted a bit. Some parts of eastern PA received 6" of rain.

Here in southwest VA, where tropical storm-force winds were possible, I rushed to prime everything but the tips and bud bags, to avoid wind damage. All we got was a little gusty wind--nothing worrisome, and an occasional brief drizzle. Now it's blue skies and a dry, beautiful day.

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.