Whole Leaf Tobacco

Good evening to everyone

Smok£R

First of all I want to thank everybody for the knowledge shared on this forum, it is really amazing, anyone with sufficient motivation can learn everything is need to understand the art behind tobacco processing, probably i read almost evry discussions hahaha, but unfortunately I am a very curious, I hope you can help me, I have a lot of doubts, the biggest is nornicotine, there is a lot of talk about it, but there is still a lot to clarify, there is a way to distinguish it without lab tests ?, does it have a specific flavor,taste ??,. comparing two tobaccos of the same cultivar, one nornicotine type and one nicotine type, will the nicotine type have the best taste every time ??,
talking about nornicotine again, I know that in tobacco it is due to 3 genes, two deactivated and one unstable, as I understand, if I understand, rustic nicotiana has the same 3 genes in the nicotine / nornicotine regulation, I was wondering why has the conversion never happened in rustic nicotiana ?, maybe the gene is coded in a slightly different way ?, (more stable way), or maybe it is due to the high concentration of endogenous citric acid, maybe demethylation cannot happen ?

Knucklehead

Founding Member
First of all I want to thank everybody for the knowledge shared on this forum, it is really amazing, anyone with sufficient motivation can learn everything is need to understand the art behind tobacco processing, probably i read almost evry discussions hahaha, but unfortunately I am a very curious, I hope you can help me, I have a lot of doubts, the biggest is nornicotine, there is a lot of talk about it, but there is still a lot to clarify, there is a way to distinguish it without lab tests ?, does it have a specific flavor,taste ??,. comparing two tobaccos of the same cultivar, one nornicotine type and one nicotine type, will the nicotine type have the best taste every time ??,
talking about nornicotine again, I know that in tobacco it is due to 3 genes, two deactivated and one unstable, as I understand, if I understand, rustic nicotiana has the same 3 genes in the nicotine / nornicotine regulation, I was wondering why has the conversion never happened in rustic nicotiana ?, maybe the gene is coded in a slightly different way ?, (more stable way), or maybe it is due to the high concentration of endogenous citric acid, maybe demethylation cannot happen ?
If you enter “nornicotine” into the search box, top right, several posts from several threads will pull up. I’m not sure if the answers to your questions are there, but you might enjoy the journey.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome to the forum.

Nornicotine is significantly more carcinogenic than nicotine, though its concentration in the leaf is usually quite low, compared to nicotine. I would say that concern about nornicotine is meaningful for cigarette use and for smokeless use, and not particularly relevant for cigar filler and pipes (if not inhaled into the lungs). High nornicotine leaf should probably not be used for cigar wrapper, since that exposure is similar to that of smokeless.

@Jitterbugdude can probably provide the most useful perspective on the subject.

The "low converter" (LC) varieties are all hybrids, meaning that their low conversion rate to nornicotine is not necessarily inherited, if you save its seed. For flue-cured tobacco, the use of a heat exchanger during the flue-curing process, rather than allowing fuel combustion products to enter the flue-curing chamber, dramatically reduces nornicotine conversion.

Bob