Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Green Dragon's 2021 Grow

GreenDragon

Someone in the neighborhood must be a pepper-head. About a half dozen Bird's Eye Chili's popped up throughout the yard this spring. I left them be as 1) they make a very pretty plant, and 2) I like peppers. Today I put on some gloves (the heat of these is supposed to be 50-100,000 Scoville units, similar to a habanero) and picked about 100 of the little guys. I added some other peppers from the garden, some vinegar, lemon juice, salt, pinch of brewer's yeast, garlic clove and a baby onion. Then I blitzed them in the food processer. This will now sit on the shelf for a few month's to ferment like traditional Tabasco sauce along with some pickled onions from the garden.

IMG_2102.jpg IMG_2103.jpg

IMG_2104.jpg IMG_2106.jpg

GreenDragon

Suckers!

I let these sucker intentionally after harvesting. The hummingbirds love them.
2.jpg

I've been waiting ALL YEAR for these stupid Morning Glories to bloom. Planted April 1st. Normally they start blooming mid-summer, but I only got my first bloom yesterday.

3.jpg

MadFarmer

Suckers!

I let these sucker intentionally after harvesting. The hummingbirds love them.
View attachment 39617

I've been waiting ALL YEAR for these stupid Morning Glories to bloom. Planted April 1st. Normally they start blooming mid-summer, but I only got my first bloom yesterday.

View attachment 39616
You can attic kiln those suckers in April/May! It's kind of cool pulling down kilned leaf while the current season is in the ground. I haven't taken the Pepsi challenge on my 'winter' grown vs summer grown yet, but look forward to it.

GreenDragon

No more suckers

I finally broke down and pulled all the suckers out of the tobacco beds. Now just need to prep the soil for the winter garden.

1.jpg

The Morning Glories are finally starting to have a decent amount of blooms each morning.

2.jpg

Bee and Bee mimic on the Loofa flowers this morning.

4.jpg 3.jpg

Finally, I ran across a bag of mixed unshelled nuts from last Christmas that got forgotten about. I took it outside and made a pile of goodness for the squirrels. I was outside when the first one discovered the pile. He kinda froze for a second, like his little rodent brain was overloading, did this cute as heck little shimmy dance of excitement, and spent the next two hours delightedly burying all the nuts in the backyard. Surprisingly he left all the walnuts. Must be too big for him to hold in his mouth. I will either crack them or move them to the front yard for the crows.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Surprisingly he left all the walnuts.
Just this morning, I watched a squirrel scurrying across the yard, carrying an entire, bright green, billiard-ball-sized, black walnut to his tree. He seemed to evaluate a number of different possible burial locations, before I lost track of him.

Bob

GreenDragon

Goodbye and Goodbye and Goodbye...Time to pull the plug on this blog.

I usually leave my grow blogs active until Jan 1st so that I can post the occasional bit of trivia, dry wit, interesting weather phenomena, curing progress, etc. But this year I'm closing it down early. Why? Because I have moved again! Yes, after just moving in February I enjoyed the process so much that we did it again. Except this time we moved 1,200 miles instead of 2. But now I have a whole new yard just waiting for a spring planting. Details in my forthcoming 2022 grow blog: A Texas Aggie in Queen Charlotte's Court.

But now I have to go unpack some more boxes...