Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Green Dragon's 2023 Grow

GreenDragon

Yes, I've read conflicting reports on the effectiveness of these traps. I selected the location of the traps very carefully, taking into account the prevailing wind direction, in order to try to lure them away from my fruit trees. So far, I seem to have been lucky in my placement, as I've seen a significant decrease in the number of beetles in my trees this year. I'm also hoping to decrease the number of eggs/grubs laid in my lawn this summer. They were so bad this spring my lawn was in serious distress.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Both Japanese Beetles and Tobacco Hornworms spend the winter deep within the soil, to avoid being killed by freezing. My impression is that their numbers are increased in the summer following a mild winter, and that their numbers are decreased by a prolonged, sub-zero (°F) frost...OR if a mild winter and spring are followed by a late freeze.

Bob

GreenDragon

So, the wife and I are in Austin, TX this weekend to attend a surprise 60th birthday party for a good friend and mentor. We're staying in a Vrbo near the lake. The place is an old lakehouse (1940's) that's been renovated by the current owners who live in the other half of the tiny structure. The inside is very nice... the outside needs some work. The area is obviously going through a gentrification cycle.

It's also so typically Austin it hurts. Here's a few photos to illustrate what I mean. Welcome to Austin - Keep it weird folks!!!!

This is the most magnificent specimen of a single poison ivy plant I've ever seen.
IMG_3548.jpg IMG_3549.jpg

There is a tree growing through the floor and roof of the deck/porch.

71098831458__7365B73A-EBA4-43EA-992A-EDB93980BE06.jpg

The trees are taller than this windmill that is connected to a well. And as slow as tree's grow around here, I'd guess they are close to a 100 years old.
IMG_3554.jpg

FrostD

So, the wife and I are in Austin, TX this weekend to attend a surprise 60th birthday party for a good friend and mentor. We're staying in a Vrbo near the lake. The place is an old lakehouse (1940's) that's been renovated by the current owners who live in the other half of the tiny structure. The inside is very nice... the outside needs some work. The area is obviously going through a gentrification cycle.

It's also so typically Austin it hurts. Here's a few photos to illustrate what I mean. Welcome to Austin - Keep it weird folks!!!!

This is the most magnificent specimen of a single poison ivy plant I've ever seen.
View attachment 47087 View attachment 47086

There is a tree growing through the floor and roof of the deck/porch.
View attachment 47088

The trees are taller than this windmill that is connected to a well. And as slow as tree's grow around here, I'd guess they are close to a 100 years old.
View attachment 47085
That’s one heck of a patch of poison ivy! That Vrbo better have posted that the patch is there! I could easily see myself not paying attention and leaning right up against it. How’s the visit with the mentor and bday party??

GreenDragon

@FrostD Had a great time at the party reconnecting with people I haven't seen in several years. The birthday boy was actually surprised to see all of us flash mob him at the bar! He thought he was meeting his son for drinks LOL. It was HOT as heck at first before the sun went down and the boat started moving. Overall it was a very enjoyable evening and we are glad we went. However, we are ready to get home and see our fur-babies.

IMG_3562.jpg

IMG_3574.jpg

FrostD

Plinsc

The place we bought here has a Loblolly in the NE corner of the property that’s about 80 foot tall. It has a poison oak vine that is a couple inches thick at the base and runs up the tree.
It’s been there so long I removed about 10’ high of the bottom of the vine to try to kill it, but it’s actually rooted into the tree now.