Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

green spots on tobacco leaves

burge

Re: green mold spots on tobacco leaves

Hi Y'all
I had a question for Don and he asked me to post it on the forum to get a general opinion. I store the leaf in the bags as it comes from Don and only open the bags to shred as I require it. Is it OK to store the leaf long term (12 mths) in these bags. I will be opening the bags I have received in the last couple of weeks to check for any mould and if OK I will reseal them. My own home grown leaf I just store in closed cardboard boxes in a spare bedroom and bring back to case the amount I am shredding each time. How do you guys store/process your WLT?

I do not smoke that much and do the same and leave it in the vapor proof bags. I have some stuff that is a year or maybe 2 years old if I did not rotate it properly. There are a number of ways to store and age leaf. When I was buying cans of PS Danish I had some that was 3 years old sealed in the can and was fantastic. Same with the lemon that was over a year old. The leaves will be fine. The newer stuff tastes really good and tastes young. I will be keeping mine in the bags. I will shred a pound in advance and ferment it and will sometimes sweat the tobacco.

burge

Will try and post some pics been smoking it.Have a small headacheIMG_20161230_213939.jpgIMG_20161230_215535.jpgIMG_20161230_213923.jpg

burge

In the bag unopened this year

Attachments

• IMG_20161229_133611.jpg
    IMG_20161229_133611.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 36

burge

Your welcome Bob lots of good info out there

riverstone

I have opened my bags and checked them all (7) and the Lemon Flue Cured has green spots/patches on a lot of the leaves. The green discolouration goes right through the leaf and is not 'sitting' on top like the mould I have come across before. I am now of the opinion that it could be a cure discolouration as mentioned by Bigbonner. The leaf and stem is just pliable and it smells OK.
The Burley is really damp, there are white spots on the leaf and the stems are like rubber. I am trying to get it in lower case and see what it comes out like but it smells really musty so I am not holding out much hope for that. The Red Leaf is very nice and I have re-sealed the bags. I have sent pictures to Don but have not had a reply as yet.

burge

Don asked me to post pics up on here. The red leaf is excellent

riverstone

This is the leaves I was trying to describe. You will see that some of the photos are front and back of the same leafDSCF0778.jpgDSCF0779.jpgDSCF0780.jpgDSCF0781.jpgDSCF0782.jpgDSCF0783.jpgDSCF0784.jpgAll three 1lb packs are the same.

MarcL

That doesn't look like a problem from here. Maybe its me?, but, I don't expect every gram of any whole leaf product to be desirable. I do find WLTs leaf to be beyond good.

riverstone

It is not just the odd gram MarcL but 90% of the leaf in all three packs. I am sure WLT product is good, as I have found in the past but Don asked me to post this on the forum for comment to see what other members thought it was. I have already sent photos to Don but I have not had a comment yet.His first suggestion was to wipe off the mould with Vodka or Rum and any really bad ones to put in the trash. If it IS mould it ALL goes in the trash
That doesn't look like a problem from here. Maybe its me?, but, I don't expect every gram of any whole leaf product to be desirable. I do find WLTs leaf to be beyond good.

larryccf

i couldn't see any fuzz growing around the green spots in your photos but if you really want to definitively know, like i suggested to burge - take a couple of closeup shots of some spots, and maybe mark them with ink pen arrows to "witness" them, then put in an airtight container with some moisture in there, and wait a week or two to see if the spots have grown any. I don't know if i'm recalling correctly but temps above 80F encourage mold growth in high humidity conditions - but check me on that, it may be that humidity above 80% RH encourages mold growth - sorry, but the meds i'm on after some surgery, one of the side effects is memory disruption, and hell i had that before the surgery

larryccf

be sure to post the results - i'm curious to learn - some of the green spots on mine looked like green ink stains, no fuzz growth etc, so i figure those were what other posters described as curing stains. As far as what don suggested re vodka or rum, i'd stay with the vodka - it's purer than gin (and cheaper) and once it evaps has zero effect on flavor or taste. The link burge threw up with instructions to spritze with vinegar and dry in an oven, i'm going to try using vodka (50/50 H2O) and then drying in an oven, then spritzing with my homemade "casing" - about 1/4 teaspoon PG, same amount of honey and similiar amount of a natural citric oil. Not sure about the citric oil having any mold control, but the PG is alcohol derivative and honey has an anti-microbial prevention benefit. FWIW

MarcL

It is not just the odd gram MarcL but 90% of the leaf in all three packs. I am sure WLT product is good, as I have found in the past but Don asked me to post this on the forum for comment to see what other members thought it was. I have already sent photos to Don but I have not had a comment yet.His first suggestion was to wipe off the mould with Vodka or Rum and any really bad ones to put in the trash. If it IS mould it ALL goes in the trash

My bad. My statement "That doesn't look like a problem from here." was directed at your photos,(as well as the other photos in this thread in fact). My statement "Maybe its me?, but, I don't expect every gram of any whole leaf product to be desirable. I do find WLTs leaf to be beyond good." was intended to be my opinion. btw, I'd be willing to bet I'm not alone. ... But since you mentioned it, looking back, if that is what you call
..90% of the leaf in all three packs...
as a good photo example of that statement, I would have to say, it still looks like maybe a few grams of discoloration from here. Maybe you meant to say, .. 90% of the leaves in the lot has it on it?, .. that I can get. I mean, photos can get subjective.

And thank you for posting.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member

From the photos, I can't tell what the green areas are. Unfortunately, if you moisten any tobacco leaf, and keep it sealed away for several days, it will mold. That's because mold spores are ubiquitous, and tobacco leaf is a suitable growth medium. So, you can't really use that as a test.

If you have a magnifying glass, inspect the green areas for hyphae (tiny, "fuzzy" strands). If you see hyphae, then it's mold or mildew. If not, you have to go by nose.

Bob

larryccf

i can see a magnifying glass being helpful, but if the identical suspected mold spot grows in diameter or size, that would seem to suggest active mold vs green curing stain

Brown Thumb

What does mold on tobacco smell like?

larryccf

good point - not sure i'd care to sniff it to find out and inhale some spores straight from the source