Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Greetings from California

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enigmascape

Started rolling my own smokes about a year ago using whatever various value pipe tobacco I felt like trying. Cherokee, OHM, D&R, etc etc... like all things I do I tend to go overboard with my hobbies, so now I am looking into starting from quality whole leaf and creating my own blends that I like. I like a variety and am eager to learn about blending. Will be buying a shredder and some whole leaf, just trying to dial in a selection to start with. My 'generic-ish' pipe tobacco suits me fine on most days, but after awhile it seems to have become more bland so looking to kick those up a notch with some flavor by blending in some more 'spice' tobacco or something, but also I want to create some deeper more full-flavor/robust blends from 'scratch' as well. I was a big fan of DRUM back in the day, so I would be interested to know what sort of varieties it would take to create something similar. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. This forum looked like a great place with alot f very helpful and informative people and I am happy to be here.

ArizonaDave

Welcome to FTT! There's lots of great people here, and plenty of articles to read. I'm more of a cigar guy myself, but there are others that will help you more than I can. I know some swear by the red leaf, similar to marlboro red, it might be a good leaf to start with.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
Growing tobacco is a curse. Once you do it, you'll want to do it for the rest of your life.

There is no better resource for understanding tobacco growing and processing on the planet than the one you have found.

Best regards

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
, but also I want to create some deeper more full-flavor/robust blends from 'scratch' as well. .

Welcome!

That's a tough question you ask. Everyone has their own particular tastes. Burley is always good to add some kick to a blend. Turkish lends a very nice flavor but doesn't contribute to the kick. For blending, start out simple. Make a small batch of 40% Flue cured and 60& Burley. Adjust to meet your needs. Once you have the desired kick you are looking for try adding some Turkish and/or possible Red Virginia.
Good Luck

DGBAMA

Welcome from another cigarette roller.

I lived the first 22 years of my life in CA.

FmGrowit is the owner of this forum, and WLT. Great service and great tobacco.
The WLT sampler is a great way to get started blending.
http://wholeleaftobacco.com/SAMPLER-of-8-types-American-and-Turkish-casing-1-2-and-3-Smplr8.htm

For starting, I recommend a digital scale, and 100gm batches (about 3 ounces). I tried 10gm batches, but there is just not enough tobacco for the flavors to mix well.

100gm translates easily to making larger batches when you find one you like (each GM becomes 1% in a larger quantity.

Don't judge a blend as soon as you mix it. Try it of course, that's part of the fun. The full flavor of a blend takes a week or more to develop.

burge

Out of the Pipe blends mentioned above the only good brand is D&R. When blending it takes a week or 2 so the tobacco will absorb the flavor. I think drum has some perique or latkia in the blends

wrapper

Welcome to the forum: the best tobacco info resource around. Someone can help with pipe tobacco blends, though not me as I do the cigar thing. But I do grow and cold smoke Cyprus Latakia (Smyrna) for fun and giving away.

Status
Not open for further replies.