Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Grow Local, Shop Local

Status
Not open for further replies.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Garden20200204_4935_TurkishSpinach_600.jpg

I pulled a couple of bags of frozen spinach out of the freezer this morning, to thaw for a casserole recipe. In glancing at the expiration date, I noticed for the first time that this Walmart house-brand spinach was grown in Turkey. Turkey? Really? It's not like they aren't in the middle of winter there right now. Turkey?

How much do you suppose it costs to ship bags of frozen spinach to the US from Turkey? They cost me only 99 cents each. From Turkey! Perhaps Turkey was selected because of its stellar standards of fresh food safety.

Once thawed, the contents of the two bags will be dumped into a bowl with a carton of cottage cheese, a bunch of Parmesan, 4 eggs, and seasoning. Once well mixed, it will fill a casserole dish. It takes between 60 and 90 minutes to bake. (375-400°F seems about right.)

I call it cuajado (literally, "cheezed"), though I lack the feta cheese needed to make it correctly. With a pie crust, the French call it quiche (with different cheeses). When baked and cooled, it can be cut into sturdy, serving-size cubes, and those individually frozen for later use. (Maybe I should ship a frozen cube of my cuajado to Turkey.)

Bob

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
When I've made spanakopita, I've used olive oil soaked filo dough to make a bottom and top crust. That's too much work for me to serve just to myself these days. But the baked filo adds a delightful crunchiness. Making spanakopita in folded triangles of filo (maybe 4 layers) gives me finger food.

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.