Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

growing in the tropics and tomato-tobacco viruses

Leon

Greetings from Mexico friends. Before I begin, I would like to clarify that I live in an intertropical zone, which means that we have around 12 hours of sun and darkness for much of the year with temperatures that rarely drop below 59 ° F and rise above 86 ° F. the soil here is red and clayey and the altitude is about 1789 meters above sea level. It is a place that allows you to grow tropical plants and temperate plants at the same time.
This makes certain plants that are normally annuals in other latitudes to become annuals. This has happened to me with tomatoes, which once their cycle is over, although they lose the main stem if the lower suckers are allowed to grow, they re-vegetate and sprout. I was wondering if that can also be done with tobacco, as it is also a sunny day.

I also appreciate any advice you can give me about growing tobacco under these conditions. This year's would be my fourth harvest, although I must say that the previous years was not my main crop and rather let it grow freely, without worrying too much to give it the proper spacing and only occupying myself with watering it and removing the suckers and topping it. I have had problems with the yellow mosaic virus. And I have read in some places that it is not advisable to plant tomatoes and other solanaceas in the soil where the tobacco was planted. Is that true, and if so, does it mean never again? or does the ground need to be allowed to rest for a while? Does that correspond only to the soil or to the entire growing area? I was thinking of planting tobacco in the ground, interspersed with my cornfield (I think they call it three sisters in the USA, corn, beans and squash, it's the traditional way of growing food here) and peppers and tomatoes in my raised beds. What would be the safe distance, if any, to prevent my tomatoes from being infected with the tobacco virus or vice versa?

This year I want to get started in earnest and I have already ordered seeds from Paul from NWT. I hope you and your folks are doing well in this sad times.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
With regard to your first question, in tobacco producing regions in which tobacco plants survive year after year, the most common practice is to grow new plants each year. The reason for that is that the quality of the tobacco leaf over subsequent years is generally poorer than from a first-season plant. Another reason is that growing tobacco as a perennial plant increases the risk of persistent pests and diseases. Remove the roots from the beds at the end of each season.

For pests, solanaceous plants are best not planted together in the same bed, since they share many of the same diseases. Solanaceous plants include tobacco, tomato, eggplant, potato, and peppers. Control measures depend on whether or not the organism dwells in the soil, or are transmitted anew each season by insects (aphids, thrips). A good practice is to rotate solanaceous crops from their current bed to a bed that has not grown solanaceous crops for the past two or three years. The beds not used by solanaceous crops can be occupied by other vegetables, or can be left fallow. A three year rotation is difficult for many growers. Alternating years is considerably better than no crop rotation.

Bob