Whole Leaf Tobacco

grown your own Connecticut?

Patriotguy

I want to ask if you have grown your own Connecticut tobacco how did it taste and did you add anything to it during fermentation?

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
I've grown Connecticut Shade Leaf (under a shade cloth) for a few years. It makes for a very stretchy wrapper. Never really cared for the taste of my homegrown or commercial Conn. wrapper. I didn't add anything while fermenting.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
There are many CT tobacco varieties. I have grown CT Broadleaf, and 4 varieties of CT Shade. I do not have a shade structure, so the CT Shade varieties were fully sun-grown, as was the CT Boadleaf.

The CT Broadleaf was generally very nice stuff. Typical 30 days in the kiln. No additives. I stopped growing it, because it seemed overly susceptible to blue mold (while nothing else in my garden showed it.)

I've sun-grown CT Shade (seed directly from plantation in Windsor Valley, CT--varietal number unknown), Magnolia, Moonlight, and Metacomet. None of them produced suitable wrappers in full-sun. [Same story with Dixie Shade.] I suspect their breeding focused directly on shade-grown characteristics. These were kilned 30 days. Of course, no additives.

Bob

Last edited: