Ham and Cheese Sandwich on Whole Wheat Bread - Soup

Status
Not open for further replies.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Ham and Cheese Sandwich on Whole Wheat - Soup

Garden20200312_4967_HamAndCheeseSandwichSoup_600.jpg

This delicious soup begins with a packet of Goya brand Jamón seasoning (ham) dissolved into a cup of water, a small squirt of yellow mustard, and about 1 tablespoon of canola oil. As it was heating, I minced a 4"x4" slice of thin, cured ham into tiny pieces. I also minced two long "sandwich" slices of dill pickle. These were dumped into the heating brew.

A ½" slice of Velveta "cheese" and a generous tablespoon of grated Parmesan cheese were added and stirred until melted. I toasted a single end piece from a loaf of sliced, whole wheat bread, then cut it into croutons.

To thicken the soup, I blended 1 tablespoon of corn starch into about ¼ cup of water, then added that to the now boiling soup, and removed it from the heat. I stirred it well with a whisk, to blend in the corn starch.

I placed it all into bowl, and sprinkled on the croutons. This soup needs no added salt.

[If you don't add some corn starch to melted cheese in water, then the cheese tends to form little curds. Corn starch prevents this.]

Does it taste like ham and cheese on whole wheat? Yup. It is rich and filling as well. These quantities of ingredients make a single, generous serving.

Bob

tullius

(y) Solid comfort food. May want to specify the weight/size of the sabor a jamon packet, they come in at least two variations, guessing you used the smaller one (1.41 oz).

[If you don't add some corn starch to melted cheese in water, then the cheese tends to form little curds. Corn starch prevents this.]

A roux also works the same trick

GreenDragon

Those Goya Jamon packets have saved my “bacon” many times (ha!). Great for a pot of beans / bean soup when you’re fresh out of ham hocks.

Moth

What does the Ham Flavoured Concentrate contain?
Is it pork stock, or, a pork style stock?
The wording "flavoured" throws me

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
This recipe is guaranteed to contain gluten, fats, cholesterol, salt, MSG and other poisons.

Goya Sabor Jamón de Cocinar (ye otros sabores naturales)
Salt, monosodium glutamate, artificial ham flavor, hydrolyzed vegetable protein, silica. CONTAINS SOY, MILK.

Cured Ham
Don't ask.

Velveta
milk, water, whey, milk protein concentrate, milkfat, whey protein concentrate, sodium phosphate, and 2% or less of salt, calcium phosphate, lactic acid, sorbic acid, sodium citrate, sodium alginate, enzymes, apocarotenal, annatto, and cheese culture.

Grated Parmesan Cheese
Parmesan Cheese (Pasteurized Part-Skim Milk, Cheese Culture, Salt, Enzymes), Cellulose Powder to Prevent Caking, Potassium Sorbate to Protect Flavor.

Walmart Yellow Mustard
VINEGAR, WATER, MUSTARD SEED, SALT, TURMERIC, PAPRIKA.

Whole Wheat Bread
Whole wheat flour, water, yeast, brown sugar, wheat gluten, salt, dough conditioners, one or more of the following (sodium stearoyl lactylate, monoglycerides, mono-and diglycerides, distilled monoglycerides, calcium peroxide, calcium iodate, datem, enzymes, ascorbic acid), soybean oil, vinegar, cultured wheat flour, monocalcium phosphate, ammonium sulfate, citric acid, sodium citrate, soy lecithin, natamycin. CONTAINS WHEAT AND SOY.

But thanks for asking.

Bob

Moth

Apart from the bread, nothing wrong there.

Sounds tasty.

Regarding the bread, still nothing wrong there, I just prefer to bake mine. Yeah, a luxury, although, it's an activity with my daughter so worth it.

This post also prompted me to make a ham and swiss melted toasty.

*still curious what makes an artificial ham flavour

waikikigun

If it uses the dynamic headspace technique, it can't be bad.

And, I'd still rather use pork.

tullius

Mustard: always so refreshingly direct and straightforward and good. Really remarkable after all these years the food scientists haven't been able to improve on it at all and just left it be..

Status
Not open for further replies.