Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Havana Z299 Taste..

SlamFire

Hello All! I hope that your Saturday is treating you well! I'm in the beginning stages of planning out what I'd like to grow next year, and I'm considering Havana Z299 due to its rapid maturity and ripening... Have any of you grown this? What does it taste like? Would you grow it again?

Thanks!

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member

Bob

SlamFire

Bob
Bob, for my understanding, Havana Z299 is the same as Havana Z992?

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Ha! I hadn't even noticed. I believe that @skychaser obtained the seed from @polygon55. Since Havana Z992 is the one listed on his site:

and the leaf photos appear nearly identical to those of @skychaser, I'm going to assume that it is a typographical error (number transposition) in @skychaser's listing. I'll have to correct that in the Plant Varieties book. The only hint of its pedigree is a derivation from Adonis.

Bob

SlamFire

There are an eye-crossingly large number of varieties out there - some of which, through typos and mislabeling, may indeed be identical to others... Take Havana 142 and Havana 211, for example. Both varieties claim to be crosses between Havana 38 and Pages Comstock... H211 was released in 1936 while H142 was released in the mid 1920's... Perhaps something was omitted from H211's history...

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
There are over 3000 named varieties in just the USDA ARS-GRIN database. But the Havana-type varieties developed within the US usually have fairly good documentation. I've grown Havana 38, Havana 142 and Havana 211. They are different.

Bob

SlamFire

There are over 3000 named varieties in just the USDA ARS-GRIN database. But the Havana-type varieties developed within the US usually have fairly good documentation. I've grown Havana 38, Havana 142 and Havana 211. They are different.

Bob
Which of these is your favorite? I haven't found a source for Havana 38 (at least not under that name) but I do know where to get both 142 and 211. The creation of these varieties was driven by the desire for disease resistance - but are the subsequent hybrids better tasting? Thanks.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
They are different. I found each interesting and productive. For vague reasons, I settled on Havana 322 (seed sent to @skychaser).

Garden20120709_329_Havana263_Havana38_500.jpg

Garden20170812_2969_Havana322_redneckPotExposed_600.jpg

Garden20160605_2171_cigar_Havana322_600.jpg

You really need to just grow one or more of the varieties, and decide, based on what you get.

Bob

skychaser

They are different. I found each interesting and productive. For vague reasons, I settled on Havana 322 (seed sent to @skychaser

Bob
Nope. You didn't get it from me. Don't have that one. I have 142, 501, 608, K2, K2-24 and Z299. The Z299 came from polygon55 and the rest came from grin. The 142 makes a decent cigarette. Can't say much about the others.

SlamFire

Nope. You didn't get it from me. Don't have that one. I have 142, 501, 608, K2, K2-24 and Z299. The Z299 came from polygon55 and the rest came from grin. The 142 makes a decent cigarette. Can't say much about the others.
Which of these matures most quickly? Michigan has a mercurial climate, and the sooner I can harvest, the better. So far, disease resistance hasn't been a big deal in my neck of the woods - but a number of my Pennsylvania Broadleaf plants did get Angular leaf spot late in the season after a few heavy rain storms...

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I did some digging. Havana 322 came from Doug Moats' Nicotiana Project, when he turned all his seed varieties over to FTT. I was sent samples of each of the cigar varieties. I assumed the same varieties went with the FTT seed bank to @skychaser in 2015. On looking back at the FTT seed bank inventory that I compiled in Jan 2015, I don't see Havana 322 listed.

Bob

skychaser

Hi. This is mistake. I didn't send Z299 to you. I sent Z992.
You are probably correct. I will try to find time to look through the seed you have sent me and see how it was labeled. But it is likely my mistake. I have been known to suffer from lysdexia. :?

Good to hear from you Yuri. I hope you are fairing well.

polygon55

You are probably correct. I will try to find time to look through the seed you have sent me and see how it was labeled. But it is likely my mistake. I have been known to suffer from lysdexia. :?

Good to hear from you Yuri. I hope you are fairing well.
Thank you. I'm glad to hear you too. Everything is fine for us so far.

burge

Which of these matures most quickly? Michigan has a mercurial climate, and the sooner I can harvest, the better. So far, disease resistance hasn't been a big deal in my neck of the woods - but a number of my Pennsylvania Broadleaf plants did get Angular leaf spot late in the season after a few heavy rain storms...
Here is where the purist part comes in. Cigar tobacco needs a tropical climate and lots of light. So for a Northern climate a greenhouse. China might want to experiment with this as the daylight hours are long in the summer. Alberta is unique for hot summer days and lots of sunshine with cool nights. Partially the reason why Canadian Virginia per say is sweeter. What would.that do to a Cigar tobacco?