Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Heat source for kiln?

Davo

Ahi Ka - Well-Known Member
I have a crock pot and it seems to be a chosen method of many to use in a kiln as it offers heat and humidity.

If I was going to ferment leaf in containers as opposed to hanging it, is a crock pot still the best option as a heat source? Or would a small oil heater provide a better alternative?

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I have a crock pot and it seems to be a chosen method of many to use in a kiln as it offers heat and humidity.

If I was going to ferment leaf in containers as opposed to hanging it, is a crock pot still the best option as a heat source? Or would a small oil heater provide a better alternative?

ChinaVoodoo seems to have good luck with an incandescent light bulb inside a metal container like a pipe or metal tool box. It wouldn’t take long to test it. As long as the temp. is above 123F there should be no mold. I would air out the leaf occasionally to avoid rot.

Davo

Ahi Ka - Well-Known Member
Cheers Knucks. Yeah I was familiar with his set up. My kiln is made from a commercial drinks fridge (internal approx 2’x2’x6’), so I’m not sure the light bulb would cut the mustard. I’m happy using the crock pot, was just thinking aloud incase anyone has any other options.

Oldfella

Hi Davo, you can use more than one, or a bigger bulb. I used a heat lamp in my fridge kiln last year and it worked great, even though I had a insulation problem.
Cheers Oldfella