Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Hello from Austin Texas

Status
Not open for further replies.

yo1dog

Just ordered my transplants from New Hope Seed: 12 Connecticut Broadleaf and 12 Red Rose. Plan to roll my own cigars. Going to order some whole leafs to practice my rolling in the mean time.

We have heavy clay where I live which (as I understand it) is far from the ideal well-draining soil. Considering mounding, raised beds, and potting. Not sure how high the mounds/raised beds would need to be. May not be feasible. Still doing my research.

Also still figuring out where I am gonna cure. Not sure if shed or garage will work.

GreenDragon

Howdy Neighbor! What area are you in?

I have a lot of clay also, but my tobacco doesn't seem to mind. Just try to break it up a bit before planting your seedlings. You can add some peat or other amendments to lighten it if you are worried. I cure in my garage and kiln in my attic. Seems to work well for me.

Highly recommend WLT's Cigar Blend Kits for new rollers. Their Melodioso Cremosa and Terroso Profundo are personal favorites. Lots of rolling videos and help here on the forum to get you started. Have fun!

Steve

yo1dog

Howdy!

I'm in Manor (just north east of Austin). Kiln is the attic is a great idea! I'll checkout those kits. Sounds like exactly what I need.

Thanks!
- Mike

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome to the forum. Be sure to read the New Growers' FAQ, and check out the Index of Key Forum Threads for specific topics. Both are linked in the menu bar.

Soggy areas in the traditional tobacco belt will often till their soil into slightly elevated rows. Tobacco has shallow roots, so a few inches of elevation makes a difference in the perched water table.

Bob

yo1dog

Done and done. Also ordered deluxestogie's "Grow Your Own Cigars" book and the "How to Grow Your Own Tobacco from Seed to Smoke" book.

Planing on extra tilling and mounding.Good to know the roots are shallow.

Status
Not open for further replies.