Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Hello From California.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Finngen

Thank you. Not sure about any of this. I live in the Central San Joaquin Valley in California and during the summer it gets hot here. We're taking 110* plus with low humidity (20 to 30 percent). My backyard is almost completely in the sun from about noon onward. I would like to grow Virginia Gold, but don't know if the sun and heat would kill it. Can you advise?

GreenDragon

Welcome from Texas! I have similar growing conditions and am able to grow cigar varieties no problem. I haven’t tried Virginians yet. Can’t hurt to try. It’s a pretty robust plant. My advice is to get your plants in the ground as early as possible to avoid the worst of the summer heat.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome to the forum. Do read the Beginning Growers' FAQ (link in the menu bar). I agree with @GreenDragon, to plant early in the season. Start your seed 8 weeks before your last frost date (or intended planting date). So long as the tobacco bed has access to sufficient water, I think any variety should do about the same. A mulch over the soil will retain more moisture, and reduce soil temperature somewhat.

Bob

Finngen

Welcome from Texas! I have similar growing conditions and am able to grow cigar varieties no problem. I haven’t tried Virginians yet. Can’t hurt to try. It’s a pretty robust plant. My advice is to get your plants in the ground as early as possible to avoid the worst of the summer heat.
Thanks for replying. I used to live in North Texas near Wichita Falls, so I know how hot it can get. Thanks.

Finngen

Thanks Bob. I used to have a garden where I want to plant the tobacco and the tomatoes there went nuts and produced more tomatoes than we could ever eat. Same with the jalapenos peppers. I tried growing pumpkins as well, but only got 2. But each weighed over 100 pounds. The ground is great for growing.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
If you start your seed indoors in mid to late January, the seedlings can be transplanted into the ground in mid to late March. You need only about 70 days to produce leaf, and about 90 to make seed.

TulareCA_avgTemp.JPG

Google

TulareCA_lastFrost.JPG

Garden.org

Check out the seed available from Northwood Seeds.

Bob

Finngen

Ok, I have decided to give this a try. I am going to try and grow my own tobacco to make cigarettes out of. But I need some information and advice from all of you people. I am getting ready to buy my seed, but which variety is the best by itself for smoking in a cigarette and which varieties should I buy for blending. I used to smoke Marlboro, but changed to generic when prices got too high. I would like to know which varieties blended together taste the closest to Marlboro. Also what is the percentages of those varieties used. I thank you all in advance. RAVE ON!!!

Bill

Hugh

For a rank newbie, like me, i'd suggest an air-dried Burley to start.
--It's not the growing so much as the curing.
Burley is a straight-forward air dry process.

Virginia's have a sugar content which can only be preserved by a flue cure --not an easy thing for a first timer.
Buy leaf to start and blend it with your homegrown output.

Good Luck!

burge

Welcome a Marlborough is Virginia Oriental and double toasted burley. I think I have mastered a blend but there not my style of smoke.

Status
Not open for further replies.