Whole Leaf Tobacco

Hello from Colombo, Sri Lanka

stuart1

Welcome to the forum, great looking cheroot. Hope the plants do well, look forward to hearing about their progress

stuart1

Welcome to the forum Balasmj, great looking cheroot. Sorry to hear about your plants, hope youve still time to sow more seed. Best of luck

Oldfella

Hello
These are two baby plants I received from Jaffna. A couple of leaves dried up during their 8 hour transport. Potted them.
I doubt they look healthy :confused:
Welcome from me in NZ. I have successfully grown worse mine usually from planting out to late. Tend them with lots of love and I'm sure that they will be good. Enjoy your time with us, I know you will have fun.
Cheers Oldfella

Balasmj

Hello friends
How are you all doing?
This is one and only plant, after killing my other 3.
I've planned to let it flower, to collect its seeds

Bottom feeding
Nitrogen utrients, once a week
Watering once in two days
Afraid to straighten the stalk
2 or 2 1/2 months old

How many grams of urea should I feed it?
Currently I feed it about 6 tiny pellets

Attachments

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Tobacco is perennial in your climate. Once it has flowered, and the seed pods have matured, you can cut off the entire stalk above the first leaf node, and allow another plant to grow from it.

Bob

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Hello friends
How are you all doing?
This is one and only plant, after killing my other 3.
I've planned to let it flower, to collect its seeds

Bottom feeding
Nitrogen utrients, once a week
Watering once in two days
Afraid to straighten the stalk
2 or 2 1/2 months old

How many grams of urea should I feed it?
Currently I feed it about 6 tiny pellets
In both photos I’m seeing some yellowish spots on one of the leaves in each. I can’t enlarge the photo enough to tell if they are just water spots or the beginning of a virus. Can you see the leaves I’m talking about and maybe share some more photos? They appear to be the largest leaf in each photograph.

Oldfella

In both photos I’m seeing some yellowish spots on one of the leaves in each. I can’t enlarge the photo enough to tell if they are just water spots or the beginning of a virus. Can you see the leaves I’m talking about and maybe share some more photos? They appear to be the largest leaf in each photograph.
Hi Balasmj
I managed to magnify the pic and I'm not sure what it is. If it was water damage it would have been visible on the other leaves. Check underneath the leaf. I have a very tiny caterpillar that seems to only eat the surface of the leaves, but not all the leaves. If you can't see any evidence of this, you have two choices, 1)remove the offensive leaves. 2) leave it alone and wait to see what happens. I'd like to see a picture of the underside. If I can find a picture of one of mine I'll post it here for you. Welcome from me in NZ.
Oldfella

Balasmj

Tobacco is perennial in your climate. Once it has flowered, and the seed pods have matured, you can cut off the entire stalk above the first leaf node, and allow another plant to grow from it.

Bob
Thats wonderful news but will the following leaves be as potent as the previous ones?

I've been reading articles that the suckers produce lower quality. Will this not be the case since this is the main stalk?

Bala

Balasmj

Hi
Yep, I saw them
Thanks for pointing them out

Bala

Balasmj

Hi Balasmj
I managed to magnify the pic and I'm not sure what it is. If it was water damage it would have been visible on the other leaves. Check underneath the leaf. I have a very tiny caterpillar that seems to only eat the surface of the leaves, but not all the leaves. If you can't see any evidence of this, you have two choices, 1)remove the offensive leaves. 2) leave it alone and wait to see what happens. I'd like to see a picture of the underside. If I can find a picture of one of mine I'll post it here for you. Welcome from me in NZ.
Oldfella
Hi
I've already removed a couple of leaves
I will upload pix of the underside.
Hope its curable

Bala

Last edited:

Balasmj

View attachment 35864

That is suggestive of Tobacco Etch Virus (TEV). I don't see it on other leaves. If it were my plant, I would just ignore that. It won't harm you, though that specific leaf may not cure as nicely as its neighbors.

Bob
Hi
I shall google TEV

Is it curable? A spray or something to kill the virus

Some of the leaves are splitting up as you can see

I was looking forward for perfect wrapping leaves and they have to be the ones to be ruined

Bala

Balasmj

What if I spray a solution of neem oil and dishwash liquid on to the underside of all the leaves?
Will there be an improvement as aphids will be removed?
This solution is what I spray my ocra and tomatoes to fend off aphids, and its quite effective. I spray once every two days in the evenings and hose off early next morning.

Balasmj