Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Hello from Finland

Status
Not open for further replies.

eebenz

Greetings from Finland! I found this forum at spring and later decided to create account. So much good info here :)

I have been growing N. Rustica Amersfort this year. Got interested of it because rustica is strong and what I have read it should give better yield compared to other rusticas. I had three plants at summer cottage and four at home. Messed up many of them with improper curing or too early harvesting. Now I have one plant left and found that letting leaves yellow in the plant and then air/sun curing them in front of the window produces pretty nice tobacco without even kilning/aging. Nice nicotine hit and mild flavor. But is it okay to let leaves go full yellow in plant? I check the plants for yellow leaves every day and then harvest them. If picked up green they go straight to brown and taste horrible.

- eebenz

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome to the forum. Purely in terms of ripening, allowing the entire plant to go yellow in the field is best. Unfortunately, rain and wind will ruin fully ripe leaf on a plant. So it is always a compromise between allowing it to ripen on the plant vs. rescuing the leaf from being tattered by the weather.

Bob

eebenz

Welcome to the forum. Purely in terms of ripening, allowing the entire plant to go yellow in the field is best. Unfortunately, rain and wind will ruin fully ripe leaf on a plant. So it is always a compromise between allowing it to ripen on the plant vs. rescuing the leaf from being tattered by the weather.

Bob
Ok, thanks for info! I got scared that I have smoked something rotten :D The plants I have grown at home have been indoors so thats why no problem with weather.

nystuga

hello you nearly a neigbour. There's at least two of us from Finland. Wellcome!

eebenz

I am curious about your Amersfoort rustica. Can you tell us something about it?

pier
It's one of those varieties grown here at 1930s depression time and later at 1940s during ww2 when tobacco&food was rationed. In local books from that time they say that Amersfort should give best crop from Rusticas. Quality should be like other Rusticas (low). I haven't taken a lot of pics but heres one shot from end of June before it started flowering. Leaves grew bigger after that.
ebcada46.jpg

And below is one shot of flowers taken today. The plant is in too small pot so it's not really big but will give some seeds. If you want seeds, PM me and I will send you some :)
DSC_0015.JPG

hello you nearly a neigbour. There's at least two of us from Finland. Wellcome!
Terve! Here is some old finnish literature regarding tobacco growing scanned by someone if you are interested / haven't already downloaded this. http://www.mediafire.com/file/9bal1e32ylvrl1s/Suomalaisen_tupakan_kasvatus_%28PDF%29.rar/file
Hyvää tupakkaa - Ensio Röyskö.pdf
Kaksi lehtisatoa kotimaisesta tupakasta.pdf
Korjaamis- ja valmistamisopas - 1.jpg
Korjaamis- ja valmistamisopas - 2.jpg
Kotimaisen tupakan viljeleminen ja valmistaminen - Mikko Jortikka.pdf
Kotimaisen tupakan viljelemisen ja jalostamisen opas.pdf
Lassen piippukirja.pdf
Nautintoaineet ja Tupakanviljelys Suomessa - Fredr. Elfving.pdf
Ohjeet kotikasvuisen tupakan eli Kessun valmistukseen.pdf
Ohjeita tupakanviljelijöille.pdf
Oman pellon tupakan valmistusohjeita.pdf
Piippu kirja - Torni.pdf
Tupakan jälkihoito.pdf
Tupakan kasvattaminen ja jalostaminen.pdf
Tupakan viljelys- ja valmistusopas.pdf
Tupakan viljelys, kuivatus ja hiostus.pdf
Tupakanviljelyksen opas.pdf
Tupakanviljelyn opas.pdf
Tupakka - Tietosanakirjasta.pdf
Tupakka leikkeitä.pdf

eebenz

Actually there was one more plant at summer cottge. I stalk harvested it about month ago and last weekend the leaves were brown. Smoked some and tastes a little different than store bought tobacco but is good and have nicotine :)

DSC_0015.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.