Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Hello from Manila!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmg362

Greetings from the Philippine Islands! I’ve been lurkung for a few months now and have found the forum to be very educational and helpful in my own blending efforts.

I’ve been an on-and-off pipe smoker for almost a decade, having started when I found my late grandfather’s smoking pipes and decided to clean them up and giving them a go. Bought a bag of Borkum Riff Cherry, didn’t like it at first and would attempt to have a better smoke months in between. I only got the hang of it when I chanced upon a local internet seller of good tobaccos (it’s already quite difficult to find good tobaccos here, and the shops that do carry them only have the drugstore type brands), and that opened a whole new world for me.

What brought me to this forum was the desire to create decent blends from locally grown tobaccos. Philippine tobaccos were once known all over the world, but for one reason or another the industry has declined and has focused on cigarette tobacco. We have a couple of local cigar companies that produce decent cigars. But none produce pipe tobacco to my knowledge. And because it’s getting more expensive to import good pipe tobacco, the call to make our own pipe tobacco is becoming stronger.

One can find tobacco leaf in the wet markets in the tobacco-producing provinces. As to what variety they are, the sellers usually have no idea. They are usually sun or air cured. So it’s a challenge for me to know what I have on hand, so I’ve begun experimenting with the leaves I’ve acquired - so far I’ve cased, toasted, made stovendish, and pressed these tobaccos, in an attempt to create good pipe tobacco from local sources. And I’m still learning!

Thanks to everyone in this community for all their contributions. It’s been a good adventure so far!

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome to the forum. If cigarette tobacco production is prevalent there, then hunt for producers of flue-cured tobacco--that is, Virginia. As is, that makes up the primary base for many pipe blends. If you can build a kiln, then kilning some of the air-cured or sun-cured leaf that is available is a great start for pipe blending. All of these can be processed into Cavendish (pre-kilned or kilned) as well as into Perique. You have a world of possibilities.

Bob

GreenDragon

Welcome from Texas! There is a lot of good information here and experienced blenders to help you out.

jmg362

Thank you for the warm welcome! I’ll get organized and share my tobacco adventures with the community.

My name is Julius, by the way!

Charly

Welcome to FTT.
Have fun blending those local tobaccos, don't forget to share your journey with us ;)

bazwaldo

Hello Julius,
Great introduction, good luck in your efforts towards self sufficient quality pipe tobacco.
I am a recent member myself and have a Philippine connection as my dear wife of 27 years is a filipina!
She is from the Sorsogon region way down south of the main island.
In a few short years it may be we may relocate from the UK to Manila for our retirement years.
I am also a fairly recent pipe smoker after finally understanding that actually it is not necessary to inhale pipe smoke or cigar smoke!
In years gone by I tried pipe smoking but as a former cigarette smoker assumed inhaling was normal and always found it far too harsh which put me off taking it up as a hobby.
I gave up cigarettes when I met my wife then took up pipe smoking about 2 years ago.
Recently I have also purchased a few cigars including a box of 25 Flor de Filipinas Torpedo (Long Filler), these were great value and seem good to me although I am a novice!
As you have found, with the increased high taxation of tobaccos and general bad opinion (propaganda!) of society as a whole about tobacco, pipe tobacco and cigars are being priced out of reach of most people in an effort by the "authorities" to stamp out it's use completely.
I think it is this in part which has contributed to my taking up smoking again as I think it has become silly and gone too far and the rebel in me wants to keep alive a centuries old tradition and hobby which represents a personal freedom as well.
So I have tried growing my own tobacco for the first time this year, if I can make some decent pipe smoking tobacco and roll a few smokable home made cigars I will be very happy.
Best wishes,
Barry.

jmg362

Thanks Bazwaldo! Let me know when you’re in Manila, so we could have a few puffs with the local pipe smoking community!

Hello Julius,
Great introduction, good luck in your efforts towards self sufficient quality pipe tobacco.
I am a recent member myself and have a Philippine connection as my dear wife of 27 years is a filipina!
She is from the Sorsogon region way down south of the main island.
In a few short years it may be we may relocate from the UK to Manila for our retirement years.
I am also a fairly recent pipe smoker after finally understanding that actually it is not necessary to inhale pipe smoke or cigar smoke!
In years gone by I tried pipe smoking but as a former cigarette smoker assumed inhaling was normal and always found it far too harsh which put me off taking it up as a hobby.
I gave up cigarettes when I met my wife then took up pipe smoking about 2 years ago.
Recently I have also purchased a few cigars including a box of 25 Flor de Filipinas Torpedo (Long Filler), these were great value and seem good to me although I am a novice!
As you have found, with the increased high taxation of tobaccos and general bad opinion (propaganda!) of society as a whole about tobacco, pipe tobacco and cigars are being priced out of reach of most people in an effort by the "authorities" to stamp out it's use completely.
I think it is this in part which has contributed to my taking up smoking again as I think it has become silly and gone too far and the rebel in me wants to keep alive a centuries old tradition and hobby which represents a personal freedom as well.
So I have tried growing my own tobacco for the first time this year, if I can make some decent pipe smoking tobacco and roll a few smokable home made cigars I will be very happy.
Best wishes,
Barry.

Status
Not open for further replies.