Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Hello from Nashville

Status
Not open for further replies.

WildSevenz

I hail from Nashville, and I am a curious person and maker of sorts. I play around with electronics, cad, 3d printing, and woodworking. I am here out of an interest in rolling my own cigars. I suppose I'll be making a few molds, cutting tools, maybe wireless temp and humidity sensors for humidors, maybe a few controllers as well...but who knows. Glad to be here, glad see people are making cigars and sharing their knowledge.

GreenDragon

Welcome from Texas! Rolling is quite fun, and to me, relaxing. You don’t have to wait to make molds; many of us don’t bother sometimes and roll freehand time to time. Check out the FAQ and Key Forum sections for a ton of info.

WildSevenz

Oh yeah, @GreenDragon from all i have read there are some advantages at the start to not using a mold at all. For me I have a bit of organizing in my shop to be done, so I am holding this over my own head to get that work done. lol. I tend to like my work spaces organized before I do anything, and helps with the wife, as I am sure she wonders if there is ever an end to my curiosity.

GreenDragon

For what it’s worth, I have two different gages of round molds, but the one I use the most is a box press I made using 1X lumber from the hardware store and some glue. (1”x1”, 1”x2”, and 1”x8” Poplar). All I did was cut to length, sanded smooth, and coated with carpenters wax. I use my bench vise to tighten it closed after loading. I think it took me an hour total to make. Makes beautiful cigars.

10370A4A-0F00-454C-8E20-32118EADB41F.jpeg

B36042BA-CF81-4F8B-B767-BE62E810E2B4.jpeg

WildSevenz

@GreenDragon thats such a fun and easy idea. I am totally gonna make me some square cigars, but i bet its a bit different loading a round log into a square mold with regard to total amount needed. Did you have a few trials and errors figuring that out? ;)

GreenDragon

No harder than learning how to load a round mold. The only difference is the added “squash” technique: roll cigar as normal, then gently squash flat-ish with your hand so it’s thin enough to stuff into the press, add top plate, squeeze closed. Is it now a square/rectangle? If so you have the right amount of leaf. If still rounded, add more filler to the next one. If the press won’t close completely, the cigar is too fat and will wind up being too tight to draw after pressing. You will get the hang of it pretty quickly.

What I really like about the box press is that if you are careful, you can press with the wrapper on if you have a wrapper with thick veins or rough surface and wind up with a nice smooth finished cigar.

WildSevenz

@GreenDragon can you explain something for me about binder and wrapper? I get that blends are a factor of ligero,viso,and seco. I get that they are named by priming, and that affecting flavor and burn ability. Then we have binder. A leaf to hold it together. Does this mean any priming of leaf can be binder? Binder just kind seems like the odd leaf out, and I don't understand the connection to the primings. That then gets a bit more confused as I read some mention finding binder leaf quality enough to be wrapper, and yet wrapper seem to be a completely different beast. Supper smooth, sometime shade grown, expensive, and way more flavor than I understand a binder to have. So binder kind confuses me, and I'd like to in little better understanding. Thanks

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Some varieties, like CT Shade, Sumatra and Besuki, are not particularly useful as fillers, since they just don't offer enough flavor body or mass. Some varieties are particularly good at tensile strength, and so make handy binders. Shade-grown leaf (of any variety) is intended as wrapper, but may be slightly flawed, and so is demoted to binder class.

That having been said, any variety may be used as wrapper, binder or filler. Wrapper and binder are, in a practical sense, designations of how intact the leaf is, how large the leaf is, and perhaps how sturdy or thin the leaf is. As a home-grower, I can attest that any leaf from any variety that is large enough or "pretty" enough can serve well as wrapper, and ditto for the same with a few unfortunate holes, for use as binder. The priming level determines the color of the leaf and the thickness of the leaf (as well as the nicotine and flavor intensity). The hard and fast definitions of wrapper or binder or filler are commercial classes. While they do give a hint as to use in a cigar, you can safely ignore them, and use any of them as you like.

The upper leaf of some of my cigar varieties make spectacular maduro and oscuro wrappers--commercial class be damned.

I would interpret those commercial classes with the same certitude that one might categorize what foods are breakfast vs. lunch vs. supper. So mix and match. Roll whatever you like. Since the highest grade wrapper leaf is only a minority of a specific crop, and is handled with extra care at every step, those cost more.

When I receive a bag of "filler" tobacco from Wholeleaftobacco.com, I will often sift through it for any likely wrappers, and usually find at least a few half-leaves that do make good wrappers.

Bob

Magpie

Oh yeah, @GreenDragon from all i have read there are some advantages at the start to not using a mold at all. For me I have a bit of organizing in my shop to be done, so I am holding this over my own head to get that work done. lol. I tend to like my work spaces organized before I do anything, and helps with the wife, as I am sure she wonders if there is ever an end to my curiosity.
I can relate to the desire for an organized work space before beginning another project!

WildSevenz

Thank you Bob, thank you. I enjoy a roaming education, but sometime the weeds get high and the BS deep. Thanks for clearing some weeds for me ;)

Charly

Welcome and have fun rolling your own cigars ;)
As Bob said : there are no rules, you can use the leaf you want for anything.
The fun is to try and find how different leaves match together to create some good blends.

Status
Not open for further replies.