Whole Leaf Tobacco

Hello From Ohio

EOH

This is my first year growing tobacco. I have started around 100 plants. Gran Habano, Small Black Mammoth, Florida Sumatra, Connecticut Shade, Brown Leaf and Havana Long Leaf. I am lucky to have a friend that has a farm and is willing to let me plant on his property and use his barn for curing. I am not sure really sure of where to go or what to do when I get them all grown up. I am planning on letting a few go to seed if I am successful for the future. I staggered the start of my plants so they are all not ready at the same time for I am but one person. The last 20 I started on the 20th of April and they have already started to spout and one already has a tiny leaf. Not bad for three days. I have started them indoors under grow lights for 16 hours per day. I am going to take them out during the day if the weather allows to start transitioning to outdoors. I have on pic from a few weeks ago. Sorry its red from the lights. As soon as I figure out how to get more up I will. Amazing plants to say the least and I love the site. A kiln is in my future but I am on the fence as to out of what. I roll my own cigars and discovered that I am a very far cry from using my own leaves. However, I will continue to explore this site and will keep it updated. Anyway, if someone knows how to get me to cigar form from my own leaves it would be much appreciated! Ohio

Attachments

GreenDragon

Welcome from Texas! Looks like you are off to a good start. Don't be intimidated about home rolled cigars. There are great threads and videos here on the site to walk you through it. Buy some leaf from WLT and practice while your crop grows. Its a blast. Even if your first cigars are ugly, they will still taste great! You will be pleasantly surprised at how quickly you can learn to home roll. Growing and rolling is a really fun hobby.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome to the forum. Be sure and read the FAQ for Beginning Growers (link at the top), and scan through our Index of Key Forum Threads (link also at the top).

Feel free to start your own grow log in the Grow Blogs section.

Bob

Charly

Welcome to FTT.
With all the good informations available here, I am sure you will roll your own cigars with your own leaf in no time ;)

burge

Welcome and WLT is based out of Ohio. The main reason to buy leaf when it comes to cigars is the aging it requires. Get some when it goes on sale. I have always appreciated the finer tobaccos most cigars the tobacco is aged 5 years or more