Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Hello from South Africa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Warren

Good day all

I’m Warren from Johannesburg, South Africa
I’ve been smoking cigarettes since I was a teenager & a pipe for about 30 years now.
I never really though about growing my own tobacco until our very clever government decided to put as ban on alcohol & tobacco during the lockdown.

Currently some people are paying over R200-00 for a packet of 20 on the black market.
I suppose I can classify myself as a temporary non smoker as I haven’t been smoking for 3 months.
I have managed to get some seeds (which are as scarce as hens teeth at the moment) & planted them yesterday before I found this forum.
I’ve used a homemade mix of ¼ vermicastings, ¼ vermiculite & ½ coco coir.
I’ve made a small greenhouse which is approximately 73°F.
In my seedling trays I have Havana & Virginian Gold & am watering them from the bottom.
Does anyone have any suggestions to increase my chances of germination?
If these don’t make it I still have some Turkish Black Sea which I’ll try the method in the forumto germinate.

Last edited by a moderator:

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Welcome. Thank you for joining us.
I would recommend going ahead and starting your Samsun. Orientals are great in cigarettes and pipe. If it is not illegal in your country to trade in seed, I would recommend ordering some Burley variety from www.northwoodseeds.com and possibly some Maryland and Dark Air. There are threads here to make your own Cavendish and Perique for the pipe. Another great thread for making your own pipe blends and helping decide on varieties is here:

Warren

Welcome. Thank you for joining us.
I would recommend going ahead and starting your Samsun. Orientals are great in cigarettes and pipe. If it is not illegal in your country to trade in seed, I would recommend ordering some Burley variety from www.northwoodseeds.com and possibly some Maryland and Dark Air. There are threads here to make your own Cavendish and Perique for the pipe. Another great thread for making your own pipe blends and helping decide on varieties is here:

As soon as our ports have been opened I order, thanks.
Currently only essential products are allowed into the country.
All international flights have been stopped
We are still in winter here so I think the virus hasn't peaked here yet, we are expecting it to peak next month.
Planting season in South Africa is usually August , September but I'm trying to get a head start on my plant indoors.
This is the little green house I have made.

Attachments

• 20200611_131226.jpg
    20200611_131226.jpg
    575 KB · Views: 13

Oldfella

Good day all

I’m Warren from Johannesburg, South Africa
I’ve been smoking cigarettes since I was a teenager & a pipe for about 30 years now.
I never really though about growing my own tobacco until our very clever government decided to put as ban on alcohol & tobacco during the lockdown.

Currently some people are paying over R200-00 for a packet of 20 on the black market.
I suppose I can classify myself as a temporary non smoker as I haven’t been smoking for 3 months.
I have managed to get some seeds (which are as scarce as hens teeth at the moment) & planted them yesterday before I found this forum.
I’ve used a homemade mix of ¼ vermicastings, ¼ vermiculite & ½ coco coir.
I’ve made a small greenhouse which is approximately 73°F.
In my seedling trays I have Havana & Virginian Gold & am watering them from the bottom.
Does anyone have any suggestions to increase my chances of germination?
If these don’t make it I still have some Turkish Black Sea which I’ll try the method in the forumto germinate.
Welcome to the forum. Looks like you will get a good start with the seeds you have. We had the same problems with the covid thing that your having. Now we are down to level one, things are more normal. My first order from Northwoods arrived yesterday. Yay, 2 more to come. Good luck with your grow and keep us updated with lots of pictures.
Cheers Oldfella.

Status
Not open for further replies.