Whole Leaf Tobacco

Hello from the UK

Beren

Hi , the main benefit is it allows me to buy raw Tabacco leaf and make my own cigars , since the duty is charged by weight , if I keep the limit low eg a lb or a 1/4 lb at a time, the duty charged is the only actual expense plus shipping. So it costs less per cigar than buying commercial ones’ when you work it out. If I tried to bring in any Tabacco leaves into the U.K. Without a RTL and UAN number , it would be seized and destroyed and I would pay serious penalties.
so I am keeping my fingers crossed and hope my application is successful in time.

Good luck! Keep us posted!

Propsjonnyb

Worcester, Worcestershire, United Kingdom
Still waiting a reply from HMCustoms re my application , so have been both searching the forum in general and assembling the bits and pieces I need .
what occurred to me is that there are a considerable number of cigar recipe (blends) so I have compiled an index of most of them . I have just collated the basics with each blenders notes , what would be good is if members could update their blends. Eg tasting notes/shape / mold or free form etc to help . I’ll add the file as soon as I can work out how to do that!!

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
That's a large compilation, and apparently a lot of work. Given the impromptu blending usually used by home cigar rollers--often dependent on what is available, rather than a predetermined recipe, to what use do you hope to put this?

Bob

Propsjonnyb

The main idea behind this was to give the new roller ( like me ) some ideas , as to what goes with what, I completely agree with you availability is key , whilst this is a basic compilation, I have no idea if one could in fact actually make and smoke many of these although at one point someone had too , the next step would be to get a list of current available tobacco leaves stick them in a spreadsheet and do a cross match , I just thought it would be a good idea .

GreenDragon

It should be noted that blending is a very personal exercise as taste is subjective. A blend that I love you may think tastes like horse poo. I always suggest that everyone should roll a puro of any cigar tobacco they buy to get an idea of each flavor profile. Then start blending using those flavors in mind. As Bob always says. “Roll one, smoke one, repeat”. Above all, have fun and don’t over think it.

ChinaVoodoo

I believe in educated guessing and intuition, as well as excessive note-taking, and chilling out and just enjoying the experience and not letting overanalysis get in the way of the holistic experience of smoking and life.

The notes are so if I stumble upon something I want to repeat, i can. Everything else is about me. I hate to spend too much time in analysis. I get it, and I've been down that road before, especially with coffee.

Last edited:

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
Welcome, John! Sorry to hear about the oppressive UK rules! Things are not better here in Sweden. This may not do you any good with the impending Brexit but have you looked into the special rules concerning intra-EU trade? There is some ambiguity at the moment but whole leaf is generally considered to be a Farm Produce and are not taxed the same as processed tobacco (strips etc).
Oooh I realise that I forgot to tell you that European union have something called "European friend country's" those have a little better roles when it comes to taxes when they export and import thing to EU. So if you find a company in one of those countries that have the right licence (I believe that there are two different) that company can export pretty sheep. Sorry that I can't tell you more about prices, country's and taxes. But I believe that it was two or three years ago I even look at that and there are not shore that stuff work the same way and the different countries are the same.

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
Welcome John I think you will find alot of friends here that can and will explain everything you need to know.
Interesting history hope you find leaf of the types you try to find.

Propsjonnyb

I really appreciate the comments from members here, I am not new to cigar rolling as I was taught by my grandpa , some 40 years ago in his shop. I was rolling anything from 50 to 100 a day , for an on and off period of 5 years , but have not rolled a single cigar since he died over 20 years ago , so blending is really what I want to get into and the invaluable information provided on this forum is amazing and of course I will be following all the advise freely given here. I also totally agree tastes are subjective, but like a good chef , I do like some sort of recipe to follow , so hence the index , and occasionally there are “clones” or if your lucky you’ll get a real proper blend from an acknowledged expert , see the last three entries and that why I think the index would be useful.

burge

The EU and the British really killed the market for whole leaf. Welcome to the forum when growing you even have to pay it. The tobacco samplers make about 10 cigars but the shipping costs not to sure about. Would that work?

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
From WLT: "Each blend contains about 1 lb. Of tobacco which is enough to make approximately 20 – 50 x 7 cigars."

Bob

burge

From WLT: "Each blend contains about 1 lb. Of tobacco which is enough to make approximately 20 – 50 x 7 cigars."

Bob
My bad I though it was to make 10 I am glad in Canada we don't need a license. If it weren't for trucks of leaf being transported for cigarette making I think Canada would have fallen suit. I AM HAPPY I FOUND LEAF. I know if there is a will there is a way and first thing I would look for is a way to get leaf across legally even if it is a pound at a time and to get a license to roll cigars If that is the case then you can sell them with tax of course and if not you might save tax until they are sold

tullius

there are a considerable number of cigar recipe (blends) so I have compiled an index of most of them
First rate idea and good on you for putting the pdf together. Needs cleaned up a little as there are a number of duplicates, but ya gotta start somewhere right? And you did. This is valuable. New rollers/blenders could sure use a place to start.

Propsjonnyb

Hi all, just thought I’d update this post , I have been dealing with the RTAS HMCE team over the last three months and have to say whilst it takes some time and there are a number of legal compliance’s to me met , I cannot fault the professionalism and content shown by the team and in particular the High Officer. Some of the process can be complicated and slightly overwhelming, but I have had excellent guidance throughout . I look forward to posting a favourable report, hopefully fairly soon

Propsjonnyb

I have been applying for U.K. RTAS license since November last year , today I was told that to get the license , by the government official , I would have to register as a manufacturer, provide factory premises and a secure store and maintain computer accounts , which for me as a private individual is financially impossible , all to be able to buy a single beginners kit from WLT.

Since I can’t afford to do that , this means no license approval - no kit purchase.

WLT are quite correct that they can supply Raw Tabacco leaf into the U.K , but as a private individual I have to pay Raw Tabacco Duty at 79% of the order price , immediately to customs , that’s the first issue , and the second I roll a single cigar, I have to pay additional Tobacco Duty by weight of the shipment of £285.00 per kilo.

I thought I had worked out a complete solution with customs , pay all the duty combined upfront, since my ’production’ was only going to be limited to kits , this was rejected completely out of hand . So unfortunately , I am very very disappointed to say I will not be continuing my grandfathers hobby.

Alpine

Be discreet, grow your own and enjoy the hobby. No one is willing to persecute an individual for growing a few tobacco plants for personal use. Or is tobacco growing forbidden nowadays in UK?

pier

Propsjonnyb

Sorry Pier, I am afraid you are wrong, it’s not forbidden to grow , but the second you roll a cigar , the duty becomes immediately payable, and they will seize tobacco and destroy it and start legal proceedings .
This seems to have gone from a strategy of discouragement by mounds of paperwork, into a flat out prohibition.

Bob
Bob I think after three months of run around you are correct