Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Help me with making my own snus please guys

dsb007

Guys i want to start making my own snus at home and i need your help
So look i wanna make something strong the one that gives you the buzz man, smells smokey and gives off a rich tobacco aroma.. you know what i mean guys i need you to give me instructions a recipe and the method and i'm gonna be so grateful guys .
thank you.

Knucklehead

Founding Member

wruk53

I agree with knucklehead, use squeezy john's method. I've made several batches using this method. I use a crockpot and mason jars for the cooking. I recommend using a mix of dark air cured and MD609 for my tobaccos. The dark air cured is very high in nicotine and the MD adds good flavor. One change I made, is to measure all my components by weight instead of a combination of weight and volume. For example, if I use 100g of tobacco I use about 66g of water instead of a volume of water. This will seem pretty dry when you mix it up, but it will cook up fine and you can add more water later if needed. For each 100g of tobacco use a range from 5g to 8g of salt and 5g to 8g of sodium carbonate. You are on your own concerning your heat source, I got lucky, my slow cooker maintains a pretty constant temp of about 185 to 190 degrees F on low setting. You just have to jump in and try it, make a small batch first and correct your mistakes the next time if needed. BTW, don't try the pressure cooker method, it cooks the tobacco to a mush. Good luck.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome to the forum, @dsb007. Feel free to introduce yourself in the Introduce Yourself forum. Additional information on snus is in the WholeLeafTobacco Wiki, linked in the menu bar. Select the Smokeless section.

Bob

dsb007

Welcome to the forum, @dsb007. Feel free to introduce yourself in the Introduce Yourself forum. Additional information on snus is in the WholeLeafTobacco Wiki, linked in the menu bar. Select the Smokeless section.

Bob
thank you bro this forum is very informative i think i'm just gonna start with squeezyjohn's recipe then experiment and see what works best for me
thank you again and thanks to all the members of this forum

billy

i wanna add a few questions since snus will be the first thing i make.
do i just air cure the leaves only, and the cooking snus does the fermenting. or do i cure then ferement then cook snus.
and can i do the cook in a pressure cooker, i think that would be the most convenient thing i have

Knucklehead

Founding Member
do i just air cure the leaves only, and the cooking snus does the fermenting. or do i cure then ferement then cook snus.
and can i do the cook in a pressure cooker, i think that would be the most convenient thing i have

@wruk53 post states that a pressure cooker will cook the tobacco to mush. The post further recommends a crock pot. I have no personal experience with snuffs and snuses.

Just breezing through a quick speed read scan in the smokeless section of the WLT wiki, I saw a couple of references to unfermented leaf but all was I looking for were a couple keywords to snatch out of the articles. I don‘t know what they said other than the names of the words I was using as my personal keywords, so I wasn’t truly reading. I recommend you give it a thorough read, there is quite a bit of useful info there.

Hope this helps. Feel free to ask for more info.

Last edited:

wruk53

In order to answer your questions there are a lot of "ifs". If your leaf was ripe when picked, if it was color cured and dried properly and last but not least, if it was aged long enough, it does not have to be fermented. If you can answer yes to all those things, you should be good to go. As to the pressure cook method, I tried this twice and both times it was an abject failure. It cooked up to a slimy, mushy mess. I highly recommend that you buy some cured leaf for your first batch. A pound of dark air cured will cost you about $18.00 plus 5 or 6 dollars for shipping and handling. When all is said and done, you should wind up with about 20 ounces of snus that cost you around 2 dollars an ounce to produce. That's pretty cheap.

dsb007

what determins a strong snus man ? is it the ph.. the higher the stronger ? i've been using Makla ( a type of smokless tobacco like snus ) it has a high Ph of 10 or 11 but snus is only 8 or 9 so does this mean that makla is stronger or are there other factors that determin which is stronger?? *I like strong products because they give you a buzz unlike the weak ones they feel like nothing under the lip*

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I cannot attest to the pH numbers that you have provided. Bear in mind that a solution with a pH of 11 has a ten times greater hydroxyl concentration than one with a pH of 10. The scale is logarithmic.

The goal of adding alkali to smokeless tobacco and pipe tobacco is to allow its nicotine to be absorbed by the mucous membranes of the mouth. Most of the nicotine present will free-base at a pH of about 9.0. So at a pH of 9.0, the ultimate nicotine strength is determined by the nicotine concentration of the tobacco used. Making it even more alkaline just increases the likelihood that the alkalinity itself will injure your mouth (cause a chemical burn).

Bob

Knucklehead

Founding Member
what determins a strong snus man ? is it the ph.. the higher the stronger ? i've been using Makla ( a type of smokless tobacco like snus ) it has a high Ph of 10 or 11 but snus is only 8 or 9 so does this mean that makla is stronger or are there other factors that determin which is stronger?? *I like strong products because they give you a buzz unlike the weak ones they feel like nothing under the lip*

Are you growing or buying? Which tobacco varieties do you have access to?

dsb007

Are you growing or buying? Which tobacco varieties do you have access to?
I'm buying it and i think that only rustica is available here in my country so unfortunately i can't mix different blends together like others say to end up with something good and high quality

Ozzy

Welcome to the forum dsb007. There is a lot of knowledge but at the end you have to get off the accumulating information and start cooking Your own snus. There are three things that can help.

The first is to get a pressure cooker to make your snus.

The second is that the recipes here are market products inspired interpretations, so that which you like about a product, use it. I am a cheapskate so I try to make my flavors inspired from stuff I have in the kitchen when I started and little by little creating my own stash of ingredients.

Third keep the flavorings under 30mL per 100g of tobacco while you get your experience on.

After a month of snus making you'll be a pro at it.

dsb007

Welcome to the forum dsb007. There is a lot of knowledge but at the end you have to get off the accumulating information and start cooking Your own snus. There are three things that can help.

The first is to get a pressure cooker to make your snus.

The second is that the recipes here are market products inspired interpretations, so that which you like about a product, use it. I am a cheapskate so I try to make my flavors inspired from stuff I have in the kitchen when I started and little by little creating my own stash of ingredients.

Third keep the flavorings under 30mL per 100g of tobacco while you get your experience on.

After a month of snus making you'll be a pro at it.
Thanks man that very informative im gonna do as you say

billy

seems to be conflicting advice on wether pressure cookers are good for snus. if the jar is sealed wont it not be able to tell the difference inside the jar

wruk53

seems to be conflicting advice on wether pressure cookers are good for snus. if the jar is sealed wont it not be able to tell the difference inside the jar
Hi Billy, First of all let me state that I have never had any authentic Swedish Snus, so maybe my evaluation of the pressure cooker method is not valid. My snus journey began by attempting to purchase snus online from Sweden. I checked the prices and I thought, this is pretty reasonable until I went to check out and found that the price of shipping was as much as the product costs. At that point, I started looking online for instructions on homemade snus and I found and used the squeezyjohn method with what I consider great success. I've made several batches this way and I've been happy with it overall. But I'm always looking for a better way, so I thought I would try the pressure cook method to save some time. I absolutely hated it, the texture of the tobacco after 2 hours of pressure cooking was like a very wet clay and had no tobacco characteristics at all. So, being a slow learner, I tried it again and only cooked it for one hour. No good, it turned out exactly like the first batch. So, you may be able to play around with the times of cooking and come up with something good, but for me, I'm done with the pressure cook method.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Since many forum members successfully cook tobacco into Cavendish, using a pressure cooker--a process that requires several hours, I'm puzzled by your pressure cooker snus results. Perhaps the difference is the amount of water to which the leaf is exposed. I really don't know.

Bob