Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Help with drying leaves

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pharmguy

I had to take a peak. This is what they look like now and I also took the opportunity to put the probe down in the open jar to see what the temp was. It matched what the chamber was reading and stayed at 127 for about 5 seconds before dropping 1 degree. I think the heat is on the Right path. Also, it smelled sweet and kind of like hay. I know it’s only been a little over a day. I’ll check in in a few days.

Attachments

• 58C21077-C58B-4358-9FAF-1A41E10C2C6D.jpeg
    58C21077-C58B-4358-9FAF-1A41E10C2C6D.jpeg
    258.6 KB · Views: 15

Pharmguy

So now it smells like ammonia pretty strong. I’ve read a lot of people say on here that it can happen with burley and that it goes away after more time in the kiln. It’s a weird thing because I have 5 jars in and some have a strong ammonia smell and some have a sweeter smell that seems more correct. Do I just keep on going? As for concerns about temp it still seems to be good because the top doesn’t get too dry, slight damp to touch, but what do I know. Also, do I need to wipe the leaves down or anything to get rid of ammonia? I’m stymied. Thanks for everyone’s help.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Ammonia is created by the action of the aging enzymes on protein within the leaf lamina. That is entirely normal. Within a sealed jar, that ammonia has nowhere to go. If you periodically open the jar, and allow the ammonia to evaporate, it will dissipate. Plan B is to not sniff the jar contents, then open them to air once the kilning is complete.

Bob

paintercote

I will be watching your progress. First timer here. I also have lots of questions. these photos are about a week apart. I have the leaves in 70% humidity at 75-80 degrees. if any one has advice about dark green leaves,I will take it gladly.

Attachments

• Photo on 11-12-20 at 11.18 AM.jpg
    Photo on 11-12-20 at 11.18 AM.jpg
    242.3 KB · Views: 12
  • 24A589D8-18DB-4CEE-94E4-978B44768563.jpeg
    24A589D8-18DB-4CEE-94E4-978B44768563.jpeg
    251.6 KB · Views: 10

paintercote

Ammonia is created by the action of the aging enzymes on protein within the leaf lamina. That is entirely normal. Within a sealed jar, that ammonia has nowhere to go. If you periodically open the jar, and allow the ammonia to evaporate, it will dissipate. Plan B is to not sniff the jar contents, then open them to air once the kilning is complete.

Bob
hey Bob, this is chris/paintercote in Washington state. Is there a place on the site that I can post a question without messaging some one directly. I don't want to spoil my welcome.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Yes. Look down the list of subjects and sub-topics on the forum home page. Navigate to the topic category that seems most appropriate, then start a new thread.

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.