Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

High yield N. rustica varieties

Status
Not open for further replies.

istanbulin

Founding Member
This year I grew a Turkish variety of N. rustica called Hasankeyf. Although I'm quite happy with the results, it's better to have a high yielder variety. So a question for the N. rustica growers : which varieties of N. rustica yield high ?

squeezyjohn

I have had loads of success with making thin twists from Rustica to cut in to small smokeless chewing tobacco bites which can be used very discretely while still giving a good dose of vitamin N. My variety was simply labeled 'Original Wild Rustica' and came from tobaccoseed.co.uk - the plants get to 2.5-3 foot high and the largest leaves are a foot and a half long by almost a foot wide - about 8-10 useable leaves per plant - the leaves are very thick and can break easily in high winds.

I would love to find a variety that gives a very big leaf and more leaves per plant - Next year I will try both Mohowk and Isleta Pueblo alongside my original variety.

JessicaNicot

this is my Masters thesis on all things rustica: http://repository.lib.ncsu.edu/ir/handle/1840.16/2541

there is an appendix with a picture and summary of the characteristics of each of the 87 varieties of rustica available in the US Nicotiana Germplasm Collection. the pics are also included in the GRIN database.

istanbulin

Founding Member
Jessica, thank you for posting your thesis here. As I saw from the table of contents, there're some good works in it.

istanbulin

Founding Member
... I would love to find a variety that gives a very big leaf and more leaves per plant - Next year I will try both Mohowk and Isleta Pueblo alongside my original variety.

I made further searches on the forum about productivity of N. rustica varieties and two varieties came up, Sacred Cornplanter and Mohawk.

But now, let's look at the works Jessica made ;)

JessicaNicot

I made further searches on the forum about productivity of N. rustica varieties and two varieties came up, Sacred Cornplanter and Mohawk.

But now, let's look at the works Jessica made ;)

ive heard those names a lot but unfortunately we do not have either in the collection. another name that comes up a lot is winnebago... (which we also don't have)

skychaser

Same offer as Bob's. I have Sacred Cornplanter, Mohawk, Sacred Wyandot, Isletta Pueblo, Punche, and Rapi Nui Aztec. Most were open pollinated (different fields and different years) and the seed is from 24 or more plants.

I've not heard of Winnebago. Is Kessu (sp) a Rustica? That's one I want to grow if anyone has some seed. I've heard it is the most hardy of all the varieties and is grow north to Hudson bay.

I tried to d/l your pdf file but it errored before it finished. I have a really sloooow connection and that happens a lot. I'll try again tonight.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
I grew Sacred Cornplanter this past year. It was not what I expected. Everyone says that Rusticas sucker like crazy and the best thing to do is just let 'em go. Mine suckered no more or no less than any other tobacco I've grown. The plants grew 3 feet tall and put out a respectable (but small compared to a Burley or Virginia) amount of leaf. It is very tasty and does not have the strong nicotine content that I was warned about.

istanbulin

Founding Member
I've not heard of Winnebago.
I tried to d/l your pdf file but it errored before it finished. I have a really sloooow connection and that happens a lot. I'll try again tonight.

If you couldn't open the document yet, here's some info about Winnebago.

MELVIN R. GILMORE said:
I HAVE read with much interest Prof. Setchell's article in the American Anthropologist, vol. 23, no. 4, on "Aboriginal Tobaccos," but I should like to reply to some of the statements and arguments of Prof. Setchell in that article. To that end I will take them in order, beginning with that at the bottom of page 402, in which he says "tobacco seed from the Winnebago Indians of Minnesota, furnished
by Dr. Melvin R. Gilmore, yielded Nicotiana rustica, on being grown." The seed was from the Winnebago Indians of Nebraska, not Minnesota. The Winnebagos of the present time are divided,
part of them being still in their old home country in Wisconsin, and part are settled as forced immigrants on a reservation in Nebraska, not Minnesota. It was from a Winnebago in Nebraska that I obtained the seed mentioned, and he told me that he had it originally from their people in Wisconsin. Next I would say that it would have been surprising if the said seed had not "yielded Nicotiana rustica on being grown," for it was seed of that species which I sent Prof. Setchell, as I informed him at the time I sent it.

HAROLD H. SMITH said:
Nicotiana rustica Olson 68 (fig. 1, C). This line was selected from a cross between N. rustica var. Winnebago and N. rustica var. brasilia No. 23. It was continued by inbreeding through a number of generations until in 1938-39 the F,o and Fn were grown.

Olson 68 - or 68 Olson as in GRIN database and Jessica's thesis - has the accession number of PI 499176 (TR 18).

NIFONG said:
This accession is derived from material generated in a cross between the varieties Winnebago and Brasilia #23 (TR 14) by Otto Olson and it was determined to be of the brasilia variety.

Status
Not open for further replies.