Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Home-made Chimo

CobGuy

Since I only had a small amount of green leaves this year, I decided to try my hand at making Chimo.
This product is nearly impossible to order anymore so it was high-time I got busy on a recipe.
The basics involve boiling your green leaves, straining them, adding a little sweetener and cocoa and cooking down to a paste.
Here's some photos along the way:

bgyjz47.jpg

KevrSiX.jpg

rTKRq2V.jpg

CobGuy

The flavor of this batch is a little too sweet but not too bad for the first try ... think bitter, yet sweetened, chocolate.
Also, it will require further dehydration to be able to roll it into a ball as it's still somewhat of a paste.
Here's some additional notes on making Chimo:

1. Chop your green tobacco leaves and place into a pot with just enough water to almost cover them.
NOTE: Next time I will start with less water as the leaves themselves expel their water as they heat.

2. Bring to nearly a boil but do not let the temperature get above 100°C - hold this simmer for about 90 minutes.

3. Strain the leaves out using a cheese cloth or other method to remove most of the vegetative matter.

4. Add your desired alkalizers, sweetener and / or cocoa ... I used 1/4 tsp Slaked Lime with 1/2 tsp honey, 1/2 tsp molasses and 1/2 tsp cocoa
NOTE: Next time I'll cut those additives by half and use 1/4 tsp's and also increase the alkalizer amount.

5. Bring the remaining solution back to a simmer and keep the temp under 100°C again.

6. As the solution starts to thicken it will become much easier for the temperature to rise too high so be diligent.
NOTE: Taking the pot off and back on the low burner is an easy way to continue safely.

7. Once it's reached a paste-like consistency it can be removed and refrigerated.
NOTE: Next time I will scrape it out onto parchment paper and continue the dehydration process in the oven at 90-95°C

8. When it's ready to sample, roll up a very small ball and place it under the tongue.
NOTE: Use caution and a small portion at first as this stuff kicks like a mule.

Hope someone can use this information and keep these ancient methods alive!

~Darin

CobGuy

The starting amounts were very approximate ... about a pound of green leaves in about a quart of water.
My ending paste was approximately 1/4 cup or so from this starting amount.
I have a feeling these folks weren't pulling out the measuring spoons and just learned from experience how much to toss in.
My initial trial definitely confirms that the amount of sweeteners added were too much.
Not that it's bad ... it's like a sweet nicotine paste for your gums. LOL
Trial and error is what it's all about though, right? :)

~Darin

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Having never heard of chimó, I did some reading. It has been used in the Andean portions of Venezuela and Colombia for eons--likely thousands of years before Columbus. It's essentially a thick paste or gum produced from cooked tobacco, and may or may not be flavored or sweetened in various ways. It's still commonly used in those same geographic regions, and available in most markets there--sometimes packaged like Tootsie-Rolls, with branded wax paper wrappings.

With thinner preparations, a smear of it is rubbed in the cheek. The thicker versions are used in the same manner as a Skoal Bandit. You have to spit out the juice periodically. But it's smoke-free and hands-free.

Bob

wruk53

I'm thinking of trying this method using clear apple juice instead of water and no other added sweeteners. What do you think?

Ifyougotem

I'm thinking of trying this method using clear apple juice instead of water and no other added sweeteners. What do you think?

If the juice is made from good ripe apples I think it could work well. Keep in mind though, that the malic acid in apples will require additional alkalization or you'll attenuate nic absorption. Processed apple juice often contains added citric acid as well- double prev. comment.

Regards, Ifyougotem

pottsS

Is there appreciable amounts of nicotine in tobacco plant stems?
I doubt it...if you roll some stems and smoke them they remind me of when we were kids and would make a cigarette from a nettle stem or a thick alfalfa stem. I tried different things with the stems when I started whole leaf...even just to get more tobacco/less waste, but in the end it just wasn't worth the bother, I just accepted the waste and sometimes make a brew with them and cigarette butts to pour on ant hills(though if it works at all it doesn't work as well as any of the commercial pesticides I have available)

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Is there appreciable amounts of nicotine in tobacco plant stems?
Some smokeless recipes add ground (or powered) stem to the leaf lamina flour, to decrease the total nicotine. In general, stems contain significant nicotine (depending on the variety), but at a concentration lower than that of leaf lamina. Here, I am speaking of leaf stems, rather than plant stalks.

Bob

johnny108

Some smokeless recipes add ground (or powered) stem to the leaf lamina flour, to decrease the total nicotine. In general, stems contain significant nicotine (depending on the variety), but at a concentration lower than that of leaf lamina. Here, I am speaking of leaf stems, rather than plant stalks.

Bob
Would stalks be an overlooked source of nicotine for chimo?

johnny108

Analyze some stalks, and let us know. So far, the tobacco industry has not found stalks useful, even though stems are routinely utilized in making both homogenized tobacco paper and reconstituted tobacco paper. That neglect may be due to the added production cost of rendering the stalks.

Bob

“The nicotine content of the tobacco stalk was 0.83% (w/w), which was measured by HPLC (Dash and Wong, 1996)”.

Just under 1% nicotine in the stalks of this lab test. Considering the concentration that it would go through in being processed into chimo, it might be strong enough to be useful. I’ll give it a try when I harvest.

Controlled Chaos

Are you using an air cured leaf or flue cured for your chimo? Turns out a guy I work with grows his own tobacco and rolls cigars and we got to talking about some things before he asked if I'd ever had chimo. He was saying he can't really find it anymore so he would probably be happy to hear it's fairly easy to make

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
The recipe posted at the start of this thread uses green, uncured leaf. The few scholarly studies of Chimó seem to indicate that its local, indigenous preparation varies significantly from one tiny region of western Venezuela to the next. In the example below, the assumption is that the leaf is sometimes air-cured, sometimes pressure-cured like Perique or cooked, like Cavendish.

Chimo_Kamen-KayeD_1971.JPG

CHIMÓ: AN UNUSUAL FORM OF TOBACCO IN VENEZUELA
Dorothy Kamen-Kaye
Botanical Museum Leaflets, Harvard University, Vol. 23, No. 1 (January 20, 1971), pp. 1-59

Bob