Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Homemade tobacco pipe

Status
Not open for further replies.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
My whittled applewood pipe is a personal treasure, but my absolute favorite pipe to smoke is a standing, briar poker made by Knucklehead. It's light, comfortable in the mouth, and has a perfect smoke hole. It's a real pipe.

Garden20130308_579_poker_500.jpg

Bob

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I wish I knew who I got this poem from. It may already be posted on here somewhere, but I had it saved to a Word file.

[FONT=&quot]THE PIPE YOU MAKE YOURSELF

There's clay pipes and briar pipes and meerschaum pipes as well
There's plain pipes and fancy pipes- things just made to sell

But any pipe that can be bought for marbles, chalk or pelf
Ain't equal to the flavor of the pipe you make yourself

Jest take a common cob and whittle out the middle
Then plug up one end of it as tight as any fiddle

Fit a stem into the side and lay her on the shelf
And when she's dry you take her down- that pipe you made yourself

Cram her full clear to the brim with natural leaf, you bet
Twill smoke a trifle better for being somewhat wet

Take your worms and fishin' pole and a jug along for health
And you'll get a taste of heaven from that pipe you made yourself

(author: Henry E. Brown)[/FONT]

CrazyCatman

A truely beautiful pipe Knucklehead! I wish I done day will be able to make such pearls! But for now I will start with something less cool and work my way up.
About my hazel project, i have to restart I am afraid; The block that I was going to work on had started to get a crack along the middle - in both sides: But I have plenty of cut down hazel tree! I did plan to use some willow too but according to the lists that you sent me it seems that it is a bad idea even thou it only have a one start "possibility" - but have "respirational" as area... So I think I will continue with Hazel and skip willow.
Sadly birch is also on the list (two stars and more areas affected) - so this one I will also skip. Verdamt!

Knucklehead

Founding Member
A truely beautiful pipe Knucklehead! I wish I done day will be able to make such pearls! But for now I will start with something less cool and work my way up.
About my hazel project, i have to restart I am afraid; The block that I was going to work on had started to get a crack along the middle - in both sides: But I have plenty of cut down hazel tree! I did plan to use some willow too but according to the lists that you sent me it seems that it is a bad idea even thou it only have a one start "possibility" - but have "respirational" as area... So I think I will continue with Hazel and skip willow.
Sadly birch is also on the list (two stars and more areas affected) - so this one I will also skip. Verdamt!

Whatever wood you use will need to be well seasoned (dried and aged) or it could very well split while you are making the pipe, or after you light it up.

Sid.Stavros

The Greek briar is one of the finest in the market,a block can be found in ebay for few $ ,i think it's a great start for a hobbyist.

CrazyCatman

Whatever wood you use will need to be well seasoned (dried and aged) or it could very well split while you are making the pipe, or after you light it up.

So a block from my recent cut-down trees should be put away for some time before I start working on it? I learn something new every day :D Thank you

BarG

Founding Member
Thank you for the generous words. The walls of the bowl are thick enough for Alcatraz. I had no idea if apple would burn through easily. It has not. Mercifully, applewood is lighter than Mediterranean briar. Apple does, though, have a hinky grain, making it troublesome to whittle. [But briar is nearly impossible to whittle--it's like cast iron.] Only chocolate tobacco has ever entered its bowl. It's the only aromatic that I smoke--occasionally.

The fun thing with a homemade pipe is there's nothing to lose, and a high probability of ending up with a smokable pipe.

Bob

The only thing you have to lose is your time. Hobbys are great for utilizing our time. Time is almost irrelevant when you are creating.

CrazyCatman

Status
Not open for further replies.