Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

How does a cigarette from wholeleaf tobacco differ

JoeCamel

From a factory made cigarette ? In Australia we are not allowed to even have one single tobscco plant, so I never tasted a cigarette blended from wholeleaf tobacco.The best tasting cigarettes I ever had were from Malaysia and Indonesia.Due to low tax on tobacco in Indonesia I think companies use more good quality stuff.I cant tell you how good cigarettes in Malaysia are, even the brands that would make you want to vomit.Currently I am smoking Philip Morris cigaretteels, the Japanese version and they are the cheapest there someone told me, so the tobacco must be really low quality with lots of additives.
Does the position of the leaf really make that differencre in how a cigarette tastes ? For example there are budget brands that really are the worst thing smokable.Do such brands use more fillers than tobacco ?I really would want to taste how a good blended wholeleaf tobacco cigarette tastes like and if it satisfies.Apart from knowing that it would have no additives, what other things make it much better ?

Knucklehead

Founding Member
A member of this forum dissected a commercial cigarette. It contained approximately 33% each of leaf, stems, and reconstituted tobacco.

List of additives in commercial cigarettes:

Whole leaf is just what it says. The whole leaf. No additives or flavorings. No ground up stalk or brown paper made from tobacco waste and infused with junk.
When I would occasionally switch brands from Marlboro, to Camel, to Pall Mall. The only difference I ever noticed was the flavor between the brands. After a couple of cigarettes, the transition was complete, no problem. No jonesing for the old brand. When I switched from commercial cigarettes to whole leaf cigarettes, I craved the chemicals that I was missing from the commercial stuff. The only thing I can come up with is that I was being manipulated with chemicals. How else to explain it. My whole leaf has nicotine. After awhile, my cigarette consumption naturally fell from a pack and a half to about 6 cigarettes a day. I didn’t make a conscious decision to cut back. Once I weaned myself off those chemicals, my cravings just naturally became less. I feel better. No smoking cough. I don’t wake up in the mornings desperate for my first smoke of the day. I can fool around some and later decide to go out on the porch for a relaxing smoke.

My blend contains five varieties, all available at WLT. Many members only use three but I wanted more layers to the flavors which can only be accomplished with more varieties, since I don’t use flavors.
45% flue cure virginia
20% maryland
20% burley
5% dark air
10% prilep

stic

Since I began smoking 'whole leaf', I cannot stand to smoke a 'tailor made', it tastes disgusting.

I too have found the 'need' to light up has diminished now, and can go many hours without needing a cigarette, where as I was almost a chain smoker on that branded rubbish, I asume, from the addiction to the chemicals.

JoeCamel

Thanks for the replies.Sadly we dont have the pleasure here to experiment with wholeleaf tobacco.There is even a plan now to only allow the sale of cigarettes at pharmacies.It seems that Australia wants to be the leader in the crusade against tobacco.With the prices here, if we were allowed to purchase wholeleaf I would save no less than 10,000 australian dollars a year.Factory made cigarettes here are also only Flue-cured virginia tobaccos, there is no burley or orientals.

stic

Currently, a 50g of any brand of roll your own tobacco costs over $115NZ...

You have to ask for it specifically by name, and are not allowed to look in the locked cupboard, nor can you ask a retailer if they have a specific brand.

Yet, despite the NZ government claiming to want a smoke free NZ, they are still selling it openly...nuts.

If they were serious, they would have asked smokers to get their GP to list them on a list of current smokers, allowing them to buy tobacco at a reasonable price from a pharmacy, and then removed it from sale everywhere else!

But, as we all know, this is more about a giant tax grab than the health of New Zealand smokers...

JoeCamel

Currently, a 50g of any brand of roll your own tobacco costs over $115NZ...

You have to ask for it specifically by name, and are not allowed to look in the locked cupboard, nor can you ask a retailer if they have a specific brand.

Yet, despite the NZ government claiming to want a smoke free NZ, they are still selling it openly...nuts.

If they were serious, they would have asked smokers to get their GP to list them on a list of current smokers, allowing them to buy tobacco at a reasonable price from a pharmacy, and then removed it from sale everywhere else!

But, as we all know, this is more about a giant tax grab than the health of New Zealand smokers...

Allowing smokers to buy cigarettes only via prescription is a recipe for disaster.Australia is flooded with black market cigarettes.Even now with no travel, there is no shortage of overseas cigarettes.Malaysia raised taxes on tobacco in 2015 by 40% and now its the country with the highest illicit tobacco trade.They say 60% of cigarettes sold in Malaysia are smuggled.And believe me, taxed cigarettes in Malaysia are among the best cigarettes in the world, they taste so good and are very satisfying, and stil people mostly smoke smuggled stuff that isn't good.Governments around the world can't completelty eliminate hard stuff like heroin but you will still hear some treehuggers talking about completely banning the sale of cigarettes here.I hate the hypocrisy of "we care about your health".In the middle east you can buy a pack of real marlboros for $2 and still you will find many people buying counterfeit ones for $1.As an adult I should decide if I want to smoke or not or if i want to quit or not.

ChinaVoodoo

Hey guys, I just want to say that I have compassion for the frustration NZers and Aussies have regarding tobacco taxes and regulation.

However, it's one thing to complain about prices, which is ok, and another to take it to the next level (the political one), with pointing fingers at drug policy, government, "tree huggers", or anything which could be viewed as partisan.

Please refrain from taking it beyond complaining, or discussion about how to acquire or grow tobacco at a better price. If the discussion goes too far, threads will be locked.

Thank you

ZigZagZeppelin

From a factory made cigarette ? In Australia we are not allowed to even have one single tobscco plant, so I never tasted a cigarette blended from wholeleaf tobacco.The best tasting cigarettes I ever had were from Malaysia and Indonesia.Due to low tax on tobacco in Indonesia I think companies use more good quality stuff.I cant tell you how good cigarettes in Malaysia are, even the brands that would make you want to vomit.Currently I am smoking Philip Morris cigaretteels, the Japanese version and they are the cheapest there someone told me, so the tobacco must be really low quality with lots of additives.
Does the position of the leaf really make that differencre in how a cigarette tastes ? For example there are budget brands that really are the worst thing smokable.Do such brands use more fillers than tobacco ?I really would want to taste how a good blended wholeleaf tobacco cigarette tastes like and if it satisfies.Apart from knowing that it would have no additives, what other things make it much better ?
What makes it better? YOU completely control how it will taste. Using different percentages of the tobaccos YOU choose to buy. You can choose to mist it with a topping or casing, if you want. YOU choose to store it long term or smoke it fresher, if you want. THAT stuff and the fact the 3,000 additives (commercial cigs have this crap) are not in it.

Iowalez

I smoked black American Spirits because the ingredient list is real tobacco and water. None of that fake tobacco made from foreign waste, no chemicals. But they are expensive at $8.50 a pack, and cost over $10 across the border in MN. I smoked a pack a day, a lot of money spent on taxes. And sometimes the store runs out of black AS and that sucks because I don't like smoking anything else on the shelves, except the turquoise AS.

My girlfriend is pretty broke all the time and alcohol comes before quality cigs, so she's smoking these awful brown things that cost $20 a carton and taste like dog doodoo. Just disgusting. At that price, there can't be any real tobacco in them.

Since switching to making my own, I think I'm smoking a little less per day, and I enjoy making a new blend each day for the next pack. It doesn't have to be the same thing every day, and I control the nicotine strength and flavor.

Yes, JoeCamel, the different leaves contribute different qualities and each is unique. My blends usually include 4 to 6 varieties. The main choice is whether to go with an oriental or perique blend for the day. The higher nicotine of the dark air cured fixes the lower nic content of the orientals, for instance. It was really fun exploring the nine variety sampler pack, and trying the casings. There is a lot to learn about tobacco if you're interested. I'm so eager for spring to come so I can grow my own!

I'm saving $50 on every carton I make, so the startup costs will be recovered quickly. I'm into my fifth carton of tubes as a novice. I'm convinced whole leaf tobacco I shred myself is the best way to go.

Ruffseas

I'm saving $50 on every carton I make, so the startup costs will be recovered quickly. I'm into my fifth carton of tubes as a novice. I'm convinced whole leaf tobacco I shred myself is the best way to go.

If you want to save even more money, get your self an inexpensive corn cob pipe or low end briar burner pipe for 20 bucks. You will get thousands of smokes for that. 1 bowl is about equivalent to a cig. Your only expense will be pipe cleaners, baccy, and lighter fluid. Works for me, I have a dozen pipes, but smoke one pipe all day, every day, the rest sit there and look pretty. No need for fancy pipe stuffin... My go to "blend" is 1 part burley, 1 part dark fired, 1 part dark air, 5 parts various virginias (endless combos) with occasional perique condiment, all WLT now that Don carries burley again. Don't over clean the pipe, saves on cleaners.

Ruff

Iowalez

If you want to save even more money, get your self an inexpensive corn cob pipe or low end briar burner pipe for 20 bucks. You will get thousands of smokes for that. 1 bowl is about equivalent to a cig. Your only expense will be pipe cleaners, baccy, and lighter fluid. Works for me, I have a dozen pipes, but smoke one pipe all day, every day, the rest sit there and look pretty. No need for fancy pipe stuffin... My go to "blend" is 1 part burley, 1 part dark fired, 1 part dark air, 5 parts various virginias (endless combos) with occasional perique condiment, all WLT now that Don carries burley again. Don't over clean the pipe, saves on cleaners.

Ruff

That would be something new to learn about. I will give it some thought. It would certainly tweak the men at the bar farther than I have already, for me to step outside to smoke my pipe! Not that I would go there during the pandemic. They had an outbreak at it recently.

But what about smoking while driving? Isn't that a little hard with a pipe? I gotta be able to smoke while driving!

I bought these Shargio tubes in bulk pretty cheap, so I have to use them up first. I got ten cartons for $32 with a bonus metal cig case free gift. Nine cartons to go.

Last edited:

Amberbeth84

But what about smoking while driving? Isn't that a little hard with a pipe? I gotta be able to smoke while driving!
I need to be stopped to pack or light properly, but I can smoke a packed bowl while driving very easily. And, since a bowl lasts 30-45 minutes, by the time I finish my pipe I'm probably where I wanted to get to anyway and can pack and light again before heading out once more

Ruffseas

I bought these Shargio tubes in bulk pretty cheap, so I have to use them up first. I got ten cartons for $32 with a bonus metal cig case free gift. Nine cartons to go.
Oh me too! Love my smoke on the road. I can usually pack a bowl at a stop light and light as needed while driving. Another bonus is no butts to deal with, lasts longer to boot.
No reason to stick to one method, variety is the spice of life. Smoke em if you gottem. :)

Iowalez

Ok
Oh me too! Love my smoke on the road. I can usually pack a bowl at a stop light and light as needed while driving. Another bonus is no butts to deal with, lasts longer to boot.
No reason to stick to one method, variety is the spice of life. Smoke em if you gottem. :)

Okay, so there's inexpensive pipes on EBay and Amazon for $20 or less that are kits, with a little stand, a case, and the tools. Made in China. Ill make sure it isn't being shipped from China with the mail crush. Is that okay to buy? Some of them come with pipe filters you insert somewhere. Do I just choose the shape I like? One of the offerings is supposedly a wind resistant bowl shape. I just spent over $250 on more new fruit trees and garden seeds on the Jung's website, so another $20 isn't going to matter. I'm kinda celebrating cuz I got a continuance on a replevin trial next month that's now delayed until March. I don't have to buy a new 25 ton clicker press next month; the one in my garage isn't going anywhere just yet.

Alpine

If I were you, I’d leave el cheapo Chinese pipes where they are. Take a look here:
Their “legend” pipe is one of my favorite: dirt cheap but smokes better than some of my briars, with the added benefit of no break-in required. Lots of shapes to choose from too.
Sometimes Missouri Meerschaum sells a bag of “seconds” for 25$ or so, great value for the money.
Another site worth checking is
They even sell original MM corn seeds!

pier

Iowalez

Thanks, Alpine, I have no clue what I'm doing here, so recommendations are very much appreciated. I will go explore those websites this morning.

There are lots of used, estate pipes for sale on Ebay, big name brands, singles to lots of ten or so. There's one in France that I like the shape of, auction ending today, one bid of $7 on it, shipping is under $10. There are lots of bids on these auctions, these pipes are selling quite well. What about this option for long term acquisition of pipes?

I'm now exploring the pipes section of FTT. Another rabbit hole to go down. Lol.

If I were you, I’d leave el cheapo Chinese pipes where they are. Take a look here:
Their “legend” pipe is one of my favorite: dirt cheap but smokes better than some of my briars, with the added benefit of no break-in required. Lots of shapes to choose from too.
Sometimes Missouri Meerschaum sells a bag of “seconds” for 25$ or so, great value for the money.
Another site worth checking is
They even sell original MM corn seeds!

pier

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Thanks, Alpine, I have no clue what I'm doing here, so recommendations are very much appreciated. I will go explore those websites this morning.

There are lots of used, estate pipes for sale on Ebay, big name brands, singles to lots of ten or so. There's one in France that I like the shape of, auction ending today, one bid of $7 on it, shipping is under $10. There are lots of bids on these auctions, these pipes are selling quite well. What about this option for long term acquisition of pipes?

I'm now exploring the pipes section of FTT. Another rabbit hole to go down. Lol.

Personally, I would get the Missouri Meershaum, a pipe tool, and some pipe cleaners. Try that out for a couple of months to make sure smoking a pipe is something you want to continue to pursue. I have some new pipes, I made some pipes, I refurbished some pipes, and I still mostly smoke cigarettes. Most of my stuff sits there unused. Use the cob for awhile and you will know what you like, want, and need rather than what you think right now by guessing. It can save some dinero.