Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

How does tobacco benefit companion plants?

Traveling Piper

I've planted a couple tomato plants in the corner of my tobacco plot for years.

I should note that I spray my tobacco regularly with acephate, to prevent damage from hornworms, aphids, etc. But, to prevent this systemic insecticide from drifting onto my tomato plants, I always cover the tomato temporarily with a plastic drop sheet. I don't use any other insecticides on my tomato plants, thus, my tomato is totally unprotected.

My experience, insects are much more attracted to the tobacco, and totally ignore the tomato. I've never had any insect problems on the tomato plants, in about 10 years of growing tobacco. For a few years, I planted the tomato about 15 feet separated from the tobacco plants, still no insects on the tomato. This is my experience with 'companion' planting.

Now that's interesting.

skychaser

Speaking of dill, it took be maybe 7 years to rid my garden beds of volunteer dill, after growing it one year.
lol You only need to plant Dill once. I love the smell of Dill and the way the plant looks and grows. And I need it to make my pickles.

I have never seen a Spinx moth feed on Dill. But they love Petunias! And they love the Nicotiana Alatas. Much more than N. Tobaccums. Plant some Jasmine. Your garden will be filled with a wonderful fragrance in the afternoon and evening. It's one of the most fragrant flowers I have even encountered. Affinis isn't quite a strong smelling, but has a wide range of colors and the moths love it. Jasmine is pure white. I have seeds for both if you want to try them.

There are several types of Spinx Moths. The only one I have ever seen here is the White Lined Spinx Moth. I don't know what they lay eggs on but it isn't tobacco. I have never seen a Hornworm on my tobacco. About 20 years ago I found Hornworms on my tomatoes. I picked them off and squished them all and have never seen one since. The only bug I have ever found on my tobaccos is Aphids. And usually only in the greenhouse on very cool wet years. A little Pyrethrum takes care of them. Or as soon as I plant them outside they disappear.

Muggs

Banned
Last year I had sowbugs that ate my babie tobacco plants .this yr I'm already seeing apids.

NewTobaccoGrower

If the "companion plant" topic is still alive, perhaps I can contribute some experimental data to it. Am about to plant either Everglades Tomato, Luffa, south american gherkins, swiss chard, or kale, next to my tobacco plants outdoors. "Next to" meaning within about 3 to 4 feet of them. I too haven't yet been able to find any data on this. But, will report on how they do.
And I'm having to economize on space because the house is in a country club right next to a major ball-striking location (don't know the jargon, it's where a lot of players hit balls from all day as they traverse the fields), so I can't have very obvious tobacco and vegetable fields in view, or someone is liable to complain!

DaleB

I've played golf twice. Both times were with members of my wife's family. I also know a lot of people who golf, and have been to a company outing at one of the new luxury driving range/bar/party places. My overall impression is that golf itself isn't a bad game, and I might like it -- were it not for golfers.