Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

How many filler leaves?

ryanj77

I know it will depend on the leaf size, but does anyone have any general advice on the amount of filler leaf per gauge of cigar? My last couple have been a little tight on the draw. They were definitely smokable but I had to loosen them up with a draw tool and even then could have stood to be a little looser. I roll mostly 48 gauge and blunts. Thanks in advance.

ChinaVoodoo

I think the roll one smoke one method is the best advice. Feel the bunch and remember how it feels. Smoke it and then build that muscle memory. Generally, if you're close, you can reduce the tightness by making it longer, rather than by using less leaf. Variations in leaf size and thickness will, instead of making thicker and narrower cigars, make shorter and longer cigars.

MarcL

https://i.imgur.com/uIob4bd.jpg

MarcL

Weight is a good measure. Here is a thread.

MarcL

I find draw and burn density to be different. For that reason I will set density for the draw in the head and the density for the burn along the length. I like the foot lose to ease lighting. Often the leaf in the head and shoulder (2 inch) will be the frog legs (scraps) because I don't burn it.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
If my filler leaf is in low case (noisy, but does not crumble), then I can roll it as tightly as the binder/wrapper allow, and it will always draw well. The resulting cigars are not as beauteously smooth and photogenic as those made with filler in higher case. I usually do not use a mold. (For that matter, I don't usually use glue, unless the cigar will be a gift. So I can back up, and loosen the wrap if I screw up.) I don't rest my cigars. [They are sleepless things!] I usually roll one, and smoke it soon thereafter. I exercise poor cigar decorum.

Since I don't use a mold, the ring of my cigar is determined by the number and size of my leaf selection, and how short I tear the filler.

Bob

ryanj77

.. if your talking about weed, that is different. First of all this is not the forum for that. Second, the burn rate is not the same. Third, inhaling cigars is not recommended.
No, I’m not talking about weed, I use a blunt roller to roll my small cigars. Makes it much easier to bunch and the size is perfect for my weekend breakfast cigar.

ryanj77

Weight is a good measure. Here is a thread.
This is great, thank you! Used it last night and draw was much better, maybe a little light but have something to work with and only minor adjustments should be needed.

yan

My cigar plan was to mimic the size of Jose L. Piedra cazadores, but it was a bit of a flop at first. If it's half legero, two and a half VISO and the same amount of Volado, the volume will exceed the size of Jose L. Piedra. I finally used half legero, a quarter Ligero, and two and a half VISO and Volado. I just found out that it's wrong. Today I should adjust it to one and a half VISO and Volado.IMG_20210518_191500.jpgI use a compass to draw the diameter of biada and cut the circle for reference.

Nico

I’ve come to the conclusion after rolling maybe 30-40 50rg that 6 leaves are usually the norm. But like china vodoo said, you have to have to feel it. Sometimes I’ll add another half or entire leaf of volado, sometimes not.