Whole Leaf Tobacco

How should i prepare tobacco for indigenous ceremony

ChinaVoodoo

So I'm in university and am writing a psychology paper that will have me interviewing various indigenous people about certain topics to do with ceremony. A Cree classmate will be helping me to connect with people for interview and she told me ahead of time that I should give gifts of tobacco to them.

I know there are a few Native American and Canadian First Nations members in the forum, as well as wise non - indigenous members who could shed light on the topic.

So I'll leave this out there.
Should I shred it? Maybe just give leaves, or a bit of both? Package it a certain way? How much is standard?

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member

ChinaVoodoo

There are these two specific threads:
http://fairtradetobacco.com/threads/tobacco-varieties-before-columbus.181/
http://fairtradetobacco.com/threads/buffalo-bird-womans-tobacco-garden.4101/

Some historical accounts of formal meetings between native tribes and representatives of the government(s) speak of offering tied tobacco hands, as well as offering twists. I don't have any references.

Bob
Thank you Bob. An idea now is to do a braid with whole leaf tails hanging off, as well as include some seed pods.

Charly

A tobacco gift ! Sounds nice !
I agree with Bob, tied hands or twists might be the way to go !

wooda2008

So I'm in university and am writing a psychology paper that will have me interviewing various indigenous people about certain topics to do with ceremony. A Cree classmate will be helping me to connect with people for interview and she told me ahead of time that I should give gifts of tobacco to them.

I know there are a few Native American and Canadian First Nations members in the forum, as well as wise non - indigenous members who could shed light on the topic.

So I'll leave this out there.
Should I shred it? Maybe just give leaves, or a bit of both? Package it a certain way? How much is standard?
You have grown it yourself, and put your spirit into it. Small hands would be appropriate, as would a small shredded portion wrapped in a cotton cloth tied with a string.
I would talk more with your Cree classmate to see what would be appropriate for the individuals you are interviewing. The last time I gave a big hand of tobacco to a Cree he thought I was getting a divorce or something equally difficult, because to him the tobacco signified me coming humble for deep, deep wisdom. Equally important, the gift obligated him to help me.