Whole Leaf Tobacco

How to moisten tobacco ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

at0987

hi
i hav a blend of 30 % each of FCV , oriental and cigar tobacco , and 10 % rustica .
the blend is alright for me , but the thing is that it is too dry . and i hav problem rolling it up.
does any1 hav a suggestion about how to moisten it a bit. thanx

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
Everyone has their own preferred method but what I do is put my shredded tobacco in a plastic bag or plastic box and very lightly spray it with some water. This is where experience will come in. Too much and you've made it soggy. If you do that, you'll have to lay it out on a table and let it redry for a few hours.

Randy B

johnlee1933

Founding Member
Hi and Welcome at0987. I do pretty much the same thing with my cigar leaf. Put it in a plastic bag, spray it with a little water and let it sit over night. My filler is usually dryer than my binder/wrapper.

John

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
Just to back up what both guys said: Experience is needed when doing this, I don't put it in a plastic bag anymore. I did my first couple years, but you really need to devote time to making sure it doesn't get too soggy and begin to mold (Yes, it will take a little bit of time to start molding, I'm so busy I would rather not risk it) . I doubt johnlee has much of a problem with it (seems to have a lot of experience under his belt) but starting out, and what I do is just hang a string from the ceiling hook, clip the leaves using a clothes pin to that string (Or you could just tie them) and then mist them. A little bit of air flow never seems to hurt either.

If you can, make the droplet size on the bottle as small as possible (Mist, not Jet) It seems to moisten up faster when smaller amounts of water come in contact with more surface area of the tobaccy leaves

leverhead

Where I live, the RH goes to 100% nearly every night. I hang what I need outside overnight, usually it gets too moist. As the RH comes down in the morning and the leaves dry out, I bag it when it's just right.

notcrack

If you have shredded tobacco you could just throw some potato or apple peelings in with it. It's what my grandmother does. It works a treat. I did a video of rehydration for my website, but I'm far too embarrassed to share it with you good folks lol.

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
Don't feel too embarrassed! Any knowledge on here is good information to share

notcrack

I'll have to just put it on a different youtube account as the one it's on is based around my business and I'd rather not look like I'm trying to win business. I'll whack it up in a minute.

notcrack

Youtube won't let me upload a duplicate video, so I'm going to have to put the video up as is.

Try not to laugh too much. It's a basic explanation on rehydrating very dry leaves. It works fine with shredded tobacco, but the potato and apple peel method is better for that.

Steve2md

I have been known to toss(hang) whole leaf in a tent for 15 minutes with a hot steam humidifier before as well. then just lay flat on newspaper or paper towels until it reaches the case you are looking for. That stuff is already set up around here, so it isn't really a hassle for me

andrewislord

If it's shredded I just put a damp paper towel over the bowl I'm blending in. Never takes more than 40 minutes. For whole leaf I put damp paper towels in a produce bag.

indianjoe

Founding Member
With a bag of shredded, I cut an apple into 1/4's, place it into the bag and leave bag shut for a while, usually overnight.

at0987

thanx every one , i did hav d spray wid water idea in mind , but i was not sure , and m new to this. here in india we get very dry leaves . some ppl here even suggested mixing a lil honey in the shredded leaves , coz thats wot ppl in d counrty side do with their hukka tobacco . anyway i hav plenty of options now.
notcrack , there is nothing to laff at in d video , it is informative.

at0987

Hi and Welcome at0987. I do pretty much the same thing with my cigar leaf. Put it in a plastic bag, spray it with a little water and let it sit over night. My filler is usually dryer than my binder/wrapper.

John

thanx sir , i wud also like to know if i can get cigars rolled out of my blend ? if so where . thanx

johnlee1933

Founding Member
thanx sir , i wud also like to know if i can get cigars rolled out of my blend ? if so where . thanx
I don't know. Since I started rolling my own I haven't looked. It takes a little time to learn how to roll but I smoked most of my bad efforts too.

John

smokesec

This is what I do in my store as well as suggest to customers:

Depending on the amount of tobacco, throw it all in a large rubbermaid bin or tupperware bowl and throw a damp towel across the top at room temperature, then put the cover of the container on and seal it as best you can. Don't let the towel touch the tobacco. It will moisten right up in a matter of hours.

For large amounts (I've done 12 lbs at a time) open it up after a few hours and fluff the tobacco around, then re-seal for a few more hours.

Works like a champ.

Status
Not open for further replies.